• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Mega Sableye

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    Hi everyone! This thread will be the first in a series called the ORAS Mega of the week! Saturday of each week, we'll highlight a new Mega Pokemon that was introduced in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. If you become a regular face around our Mega of the Week threads, you'll earn this emblem!

Steven's Apprentice
    Mega Sableye

So, without further ado, this week's Mega will be...Mega Sableye!

Mega Sableye

Sableye has concentrated all of the energy from its Mega Evolution into the red jewel on its chest, which increases in size and detaches from its body. This enlarged jewel boasts incredible hardness, and it is said that no attack can even make a scratch on it!

When Sableye Mega Evolves, its Defense and Sp. Attack stats both get big boosts. Its Speed stat does decrease slightly, perhaps because of the weight of its huge jewel. Thanks to its Magic Bounce Ability, any moves that affect only stats or status conditions will be bounced back at its attacker.

Now for a few discussion topics! What do you think of Mega Sableye? Do you like it more or less than its non-mega forme? How do you feel about its design? Before it was announced, had you expected there would be a Mega Sableye in ORAS? If so, is it anything like what you expected? Have you used it on your in-game team at all? Do you have any other thoughts to share? Discuss away!

Inspired by Dragon's 5th gen Pokemon of the Week series!​

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    Mega Sableye is better because they can reflect non-attacking moves like confuse ray. Since the speed is 20, I might use the relaxed nature. Finally, Attack and Special Attack are tied at 85, so I can make 4 different type moves but I wont put any effort points onto Attack and Special Attack. I have not use it in my team yet.

The design is a bit cool and a gem as it's shield. Yellow teeth but it it's still sharp.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    My views on Mega Sableye were mixed when it was first revealed. On the one hand, its bulk is significantly improved. On the other, it's slow as molasses and loses a useful ability in Prankster in exchange for an equally useful ability in Magic Bounce. As the months went by, I warmed up to its usefulness in battling because it stops most defensive Pokemon cold.

As for its design, I like how it uses its chest ruby as a shield, though it did look kind of gross when the ruby popped out of its chest when it Mega Evolved.

Years
    I love how adorable this Mega is, it doesn't change too much of what makes Sableye what it is but the gem shield is a nice touch and fits in well with its strategy of being defensive and using supportive moves, as a counterpart to Mega Mawile being more offensive.

As Platinum said, it may lose Prankster but Magic Bounce does have its uses, since it can be good at blocking many annoying moves and then affecting the opponent's side with them instead.

Sukyandaru

kimi ni baby sweet berry love
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2019
    I like it's design, seems like its hiding appearance matches with how it usually appears in dark caves with shadows and stuff like that :) but it can be really annoying to battle against, with that huge bulk and ability >< didn't really expect it to be as good in battle as it is, without Prankster, but the bulk and moves really carry it though, despite fairies being able to hit it super-effectively. Really good spinblocker and hazard prevention too, and being able to burn things with Prankster on the same turn that you mega evolve lets it take some heavy hits.
    I think I like the mega a little bit more than the original, but not really planning to use either on my in-game team at the moment. I didn't really expect any of the megas that came in ORAS other than Swampert/Sceptile but it was a pleasant surprise, overall~
    just please don't use one against me in battle ;_;

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    Whilst I have not used either Sableye or its Mega Evolution I find its Mega to be very cute.

Magic Bounce is a useful ability as it prevents status and can knock entry hazards to the opponents side.

Prankster is a nice ability for normal Sableye but I prefer using other Pranksters like Whimsicott.

I did not expect Sableye to get a Mega but it is a nice design.

Years
    I did not expect Sableye to get a Mega but it is a nice design.

It is a great design, but I was actually predicting Sableye would get a Mega since its counterpart Mawile already had one and it would make sense to have Megas for both so that they could be on equal level.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I love Mega Sableye! I love the way the crystal comes out and turns into a shield :) It's one of the more creative Megas, for sure. I had expected Sableye to get a Mega, because like everyone said, it's Mawile's counterpart. But I expected something more like this:

Mega Sableye

I haven't used it on my team in the story at all, but I have used it competitively. Like Platinum said, it shuts that pesky Gothitelle right down, but it's not 100% better than its non-mega, since the non-mega has Prankster.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2015
    Mega Sableye is amazing! If you can make dent predictions, he will help you out tremendously. He's a very good prankster check. You can play mind games and make your opponent think he's not mega and let them think they can beat you by taunting with their faster prankster. Mega and now their prankster has been taunted because of magic bounce. Now you can set up a free calm mind while they switch out or go for an attack. That alone just puts a smile on my face.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 6, 2016
    I never used Sableye that much. Maybe once or twice but the design of it when it mega evolves is impressing. I might use it again in my future battles but for now it's in my PC.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I like the design of Sableye's mega form. At first I didn't really use Sableye and just left it in my PC. After beating the Elite Four I added it to my team. It's a good addition to my current team.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I like the design of Sableye's mega form. At first I didn't really use Sableye and just left it in my PC. After beating the Elite Four I added it to my team. It's a good addition to my current team.

I never used Sableye that much. Maybe once or twice but the design of it when it mega evolves is impressing. I might use it again in my future battles but for now it's in my PC.

Same here, pretty much. Throughout my AS playthrough it's pretty much sat in my PC the whole time, but I might just trade it over to OR and use it in the Battle Facilities haha

Years
    I don't think I've ever used a Sableye on my team, nothing against it just not ever really taken to it. Design wise I think they did a good job with the concept of the jewel as a shield but maybe some other changes in appearance would have been good too.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    This pokemon would of otherwise been okay, but they gave it a really broken ability: Magic bounce. Which means, this pokemon is absolutely amazing on pivoting against pokemon like Ferrothorn, Skarmory, or even some sets of Klefi who likes to set up hazards and such. The only problem is, I don't think it's really a one-size fits all pokemon, meaning, it's not that great on more Offensive team compositions, but slap it on stall or maybe even balance, and it does work wonders!

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    It's alright, the big jewel it carries make me chuckle though due to one animated trailer showing a Mega Lopunny fighting against Mega Sableye. Imagine fighting against your opponent while you having to carry a huge jewel on your hands.

I don't think I'll use it if I get ORAS though.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    It's alright, the big jewel it carries make me chuckle though due to one animated trailer showing a Mega Lopunny fighting against Mega Sableye. Imagine fighting against your opponent while you having to carry a huge jewel on your hands.

I don't think I'll use it if I get ORAS though.

I remember that! When they first revealed Mega Lopunny, they had it make a super effective attack on Mega Sableye to show off its Scrappy ability. If I recall correctly though, it took the hit pretty well, because of dat 120 defense.

And yea, I'd imagine it's tough fighting while carrying around that huge jewel, which sadly explains the 20 base attack :c

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I feel the design is very little creativity just because adding a huge gem as a shield doesn't make it a design-wise. But the stats wise is good it could stall and prank opponent at will

Years
    I thought it was cool that Sableye got a Mega Evolution, I wasn't counting on it but it does kind of make up for it no longer having no weaknesses. But its ability really does it good too, it makes it quite a bit harder to whittle down.

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
    Years
    Sableye has always been one of my favorite Pokémon, particularly for its design, but its Mega took an already awesome design and made it a lot cooler! I love the idea of its gem becoming a huge shield for it, really symbolic of its super-buffed defense. It's got a lot of funny and cool animations :D Magic Bounce is an amazing ability as well, you can never go wrong with that. This is definitely one of my favorite Megas. {:3}

Back