• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] Mental health club

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Been a while... firstly I hope all you lovelies are doing well 💗

I have been really struggling of late.

Life is such a fight for me right now, both mentally and physically. I'm in excruciating pain 24/7. My demons won't leave me alone either and I'm having to live through all the violation and brutality again and again every day. My therapist has also started chipping away at something I really don't want to tell her, and I'm scared of what is going to happen if it comes out completely. My home life consists almost entirely of loneliness and walking on eggshells too.

I just feel absolutely useless right now, and a complete burden. I am simply in the way. I'm trying my very best to stay optimistic, but I'm just so very tired and I'm starting to feel that the fight isn't worth it anymore.
    It sucks that you have to go through those pains right now! D:

But please keep on fighting. You are not useless and in fact helped again and again other people to not lose their way. You're not standing in the way. You're that person that stands near it and tells everyone who feels lost which directions they could take. Don't confuse that with "standing in the way". :)

Being lonely sucks. If all the people who want to help and be there for you could visit you then there would probably not be a single spot left in your house. ^^"
    You've done a lot of good and deserve a lot of good. Please stay strong. The good times will come back! <3

Years
  • Spoiler:

Today was a bad day.

I just can't stop the feelings of complete and utter hopelessness, no matter what - or how hard - I try. I just can't see a way out right now.

Alcohol destroyed my life once, and I haven't had a drink in a long time. I'm also not supposed to drink for health reasons either now. The last couple of days I've had my partner's booze out of the fridge several times, but I've always managed to put it back. Today I gave in, and I'm so ashamed.

I also feel so guilty about my last post. In fact I absolutely, and utterly, despise myself for it. My problems aren't more important that anyone else's, and yet here I am whining, crumbling, laying down, when I know just how much so many of you are going through in your own lives right now. I'm so, so, deeply, sorry.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you're all absolute angels, and your kind messages meant so, so, much to me. I love you all to bits <3

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • I also feel so guilty about my last post. In fact I absolutely, and utterly, despise myself for it. My problems aren't more important that anyone else's, and yet here I am whining, crumbling, laying down, when I know just how much so many of you are going through in your own lives right now. I'm so, so, deeply, sorry.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you're all absolute angels, and your kind messages meant so, so, much to me. I love you all to bits <3

Ash, please... this is not what I meant at all!! Can you put people's problems on a scale? Can you assign them a number to express their importance? Can you compare them that easily? NO you can't! All of our problems are valid in their own way and honestly, the sooner I understand this, the better. This is the same thought process that has locked me in place for so long and I don't want you, who has already told me repeatedly how bad this mindset can be, to fall into that trap yourself!

I wish I could help you more than this and offer some more practical solutions but I really can't, I don't know if I can imagine with my head what you've been through - which ties in with my first point anyways - but I'll still wish you all the best in overcoming those feelings and getting out of this situation stronger than before! You can do it!

And thank you for your kind words, I'm glad to hear them! With all the help you've given everyone around you this really is the minimum I could do <3

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Today was a bad day.

I just can't stop the feelings of complete and utter hopelessness, no matter what - or how hard - I try. I just can't see a way out right now.

Alcohol destroyed my life once, and I haven't had a drink in a long time. I'm also not supposed to drink for health reasons either now. The last couple of days I've had my partner's booze out of the fridge several times, but I've always managed to put it back. Today I gave in, and I'm so ashamed.

I also feel so guilty about my last post. In fact I absolutely, and utterly, despise myself for it. My problems aren't more important that anyone else's, and yet here I am whining, crumbling, laying down, when I know just how much so many of you are going through in your own lives right now. I'm so, so, deeply, sorry.

You are still alive and you're still aware of your actions. I don't know how I could possibly help you. But I do know some people can. I know you're afraid. But it may be time to get over your fear and tell your therapist at the least. And I know you can do it.

Pain is not comparable. It's neither worse for one or the other nor is it "better". Pain just is. I appreciate that you're so empathic with everyone else's problems. But you're not an all powerful outside entity that can deal with other people's problems and doesn't have their own. You're part of a community and therefor deserve your issues to be resolved as much as everyone else.

You've been there for us and we're here for you. Always. <3

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • Would you like us to remove your quoted post from our own posts, Taylor?

Also, your problems are equally as valid as anyone else's, and you have every right to express them here just as much as anyone. That sort of guilt makes things so, so much worse and it's not needed! I know, I feel that way about my own problems all the time. I also know how it is, to break a good thing you've had going for so long and feel so awfully ashamed. It's just... such a terrible ordeal. But in the grand scheme of things it's simply another obstacle on the road that we have to overcome, and once we do, we can leave it behind us. "Pick yourself up, dust yourself of, and start all over again" is what I have to tell myself. It takes... every ounce of our energy and willpower to do that at times, but we keep on doing it. We find a way.

I truly hope and pray that things look up for you soon, Taylor. Keep that diamond of strength in you close so you can see it through. <3

Years
  • Spoiler:

Today was a bad day.

I hate that you have experienced so much pain Taylor. Please never give up your fight you brave, loving wonderful girl. You are not useless, you are treasure. Talking to you has been one of the most unique and uplifting experiences I have had online, the name starlight suits you so well because of how you brighten up the skies when you are near. You not being here would be a gaping hole here on the forum, and saddens me to think of it. You are a rare and special soul, and deserve to have a piece of heaven, instead of battling through psychological bdemons like that. I'm sorry that bad things have happened to you, your story is still unfolding my friend, and you have the power to start new chapters of life.

I admire that you had the guts to talk about addiction you experienced in the past. A lot of people wouldn't be able to do that because of feelings of embarrassment, guilt or pride, so you have taken a lot of steps to healing. Falling off the wagon on this ocassion doesn't mean that you're not going to recover. You have made enormous progress that shouldn't be forgotten, you're in therapy, and have been alcohol-free for a long time, despite situations that would make it especially challenging, like alcohol being visible-- that can be a trigger for folks, and as a strategy it's often recommended that family/friends/significant others not introduce it into the environment at home or at parties if you're recovering because of how tempting it is. You are also going through a lot of physical and mental health ailments, and it's human to try to find ways of self-medicating through the hardship. Anyone can make a mistake, the important thing, as others have said, is that you realize it, because you can grow from that. You feel bad about what you have done, and know what you have to do going forward, don't keep punishing yourself, that's a never-ending vicious cycle that can trap us. Now is the time for love. Think about what you have learned from this setback, so that you can keep to your goal. You were sober before, and you can be now. Know that we LOVE you.

Nobody is judging you. We're here to lift you up, and cheer you on to victory.

You certainly have no reason to feel bad about posting, your cares are every bit as important as everyone's here, we are all equals, and if talking about any part of what's on your mind provides you hope to know that your not alone, and that we believe in you and care about you, solace in having friends to talk to, or relief to freely express things that you have been bottling up and take some weight off off your chest, then that's a good thing and this club has more than achieved it's purpose, and done a positive thing. Also people may read your posts and relate to something that you have said, and that can provide valuable insight into their own lives, and may also draw inspiration from your honesty and seriousness about changing. There's nothing to be sorry for, this is a protected circle, and inside of this sanctuary you can say what you want to say.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Starlight, don't ever be ashamed. Addiction changes the way your brain works permanently and you're hardwired to use it as a coping mechanism. Remember, addiction is just a symptom of a deeper, underlying problem.
    Spoiler:

Hyzenthlay, I completely know where you're coming from.
    Spoiler:

If you'll both allow me to offer some insight, which is probably something you have heard before but I'll say anyway, I think you're both feeling wildly out of control at the moment. In your life, in your environment, in your head - there's something in you that distinctly feels a lack of control and desperately wants it back. This is incredibly normal. These feelings serve us a purpose and I respect the part of you that's protecting something very scared and helpless inside.

The brain has a negativity bias and if you couple that with issues like mental health issues, past and current traumas, and addiction, it comes as no surprise to me that you're experiencing these feelings. The best thing that's worked for me is trying to live in the moment. What's immediately around you and what are your five senses picking up? Practice self compassion and understanding.

I can also recommend a really great book I've been reading on the subject, if you're interested.

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Honestly, I'm kind of lucky that any thought of self harm or worse has always just ended up being that: a though.

As such I can't possibly relate. I do think it's good if you find someone you can trust with these issues. And I'm glad you feel safe enough to tell us about it. It's one step closer to finding a healthy way to deal with your issues.

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
    Years
  • C-Can I join?

I put on a very brave front, but I'm struggling quite a bit at the minute. I've just done a year in the UK and got into a relationship over there which ended quite dramatically, and I lost quite a lot of the friends I made there because they were all his friends. Then when I moved back home to Australia all of my old friends have moved on with their lives and have started families, gotten married, into relationships, etc. I feel very very alone most of the time, and it doesn't help that my anxiety has been stopping me from going to the gym and meeting new people.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen today
    Extending best wishes to everybody.

To anybody who has shared such things here, there is definitely courageousness involved. There is an importance to communicating like this and especially turning towards seeking help.

I made a nearly fatal mistake and refused help in the months after living through a school shooting. Seeking help is bravery, not cowardice. It's okay to feel not okay, so I've had a certain admiration for this thread as it's great and beneficial that everyone can express themselves.

Years

• I just want to say thank you to all of you. I am a bit too overwhelmed right now to make detailed replies to you all at this time, but I will do it as soon as I can, either in an update here or via private messages. Seriously, I can't thank you all enough 😭❤

C-Can I join?

I put on a very brave front, but I'm struggling quite a bit at the minute. I've just done a year in the UK and got into a relationship over there which ended quite dramatically, and I lost quite a lot of the friends I made there because they were all his friends. Then when I moved back home to Australia all of my old friends have moved on with their lives and have started families, gotten married, into relationships, etc. I feel very very alone most of the time, and it doesn't help that my anxiety has been stopping me from going to the gym and meeting new people.

Spoiler:

Welcome Tenille! It's awesome that you have quit those things, and I hope that you can keep the spending under control too. I know all too well how bad comfort shopping can be. I promise not to encourage you to buy all those steam games you don't need 😉

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
    Years
  • Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Thankyu 😊

Nearly had a baaad day yesterday, mum came over with ginger beer and I immediately thought I'd be right back at square one, but it turns out they were non alcoholic ginger beers and I'm a very happy frog! Nearly been a month without alcohol now, and I'm feeling better than I ever have.

Spoiler:

Hope you're feeling okay Starlight ♥ and thank you for the game-buying discouragement, I'm going to really need it as I've just bought 3 new games on Steam within the last hour D:

Welcome to the club and congratulations! A month is fantastic, you should be super proud of yourself! Same with any other substance. :)

Mmm, your brain is still reeling for a dopamine release of some kind to replace the rush. Super normal for this point in your sobriety, so don't feel too guilty about it. It took about a year before I was chemically balanced again. Just relax and use the same restraint you use everyday to combat that desire to spend!

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • Thank you all. <3 I'm quite proud of myself - I didn't do any harm, so don't worry. That massive bout of depression/despair has "settled" into high stress and anxiety but I'm on a healthier trajectory now, at least. :) One thing I actually like about myself is that I can bounce back really fast under the right circumstances. In this case it was "virtually" falling into my boyfriend's warm, loving arms. He somehow makes me laugh even when I'm at my very worst. He's truly my lifeline during these moments.

While I don't think issues like this should be stigmatised/hidden, I deleted my post out of privacy.

By the way, to anyone who sometimes has toxic thoughts overpower them: draw those thoughts/feelings. Even if it's just an angry black squiggle. By drawing out my urges to self-harm, I quelled them just enough to stop it from actually happening. Free-drawing this way can be quite cathartic. I've drawn a number of my traumas.

- - -

@Fairy you hit the nail on the head - I have little to no control over so many aspects of my life, and that can drive anyone mad. The worst part is, I don't even have the control to do something about my lack of control! All I can do is the bare minimum; just slog on with my degree and hope new opportunities open up to me (in positive ways. I'm tired of big change only occurring after awful things happen). My struggle along the way is avoiding my triggers. I have PTSD and a lot of triggers. :(

@Megan I'm very grateful for this community because I genuinely feel like I can entrust the people here with my feelings, and be listened to. So thankfully I do have people in my life I can go to in times of need, it can just feel like the opposite when I'm devastated, like the whole world's against me, so I tend to forget that. I suppose a lot of us do.

@ZeoStar, you're absolutely right. These is still a stigma around seeking help in many places, since a lot of people don't understand how much strength and courage it takes to divulge one's deepest pain, worst secrets, life traumas. I imagine in cases as devastating as school shootings, the shock alone is a big factor. Sometimes it's like being trapped in time and we just clam up and keep things frozen. The brain's defence mechanisms against trauma are varied and fascinating. It seems mine is to wall off my memories until my brain receives a trigger.

Years
  • I like this direction that the conversation has been going in recently, seeing the strong support for others and kindness inhabiting this space, and reading about constructive ways of dealing with different problems.

I am inspired by Hyzenthlay's suggestion to draw images of what is on your mind, when you're feeling troubled. I will have to give that one a try next time I am feeling blue. I usually color in different prints of mandalas, things that are more abstract and tranquil, but it could be good to let it all out and draw something really different put the feelings to pictures!

I think it would be nice to keep cool, creative ideas like that coming. So I am going to post it as a topic question, I don't think our club owner will mind :)

Share a coping mechanism!

For me listening to music can change my mood, oddly it's not necessarily peaceful, bubbly or romantic music that is the most helpful to me if I am downcast. That tends have the best impact on me when I am on the upswing, I try to listen to music that matches my mood at the time. When I am unhappy I find that music that's actually moody, angry, melancholy or self-depricating can be my release. It might not work for everyone, for me it's cathartic, the things that weighed me down all are channeled into the song and I am better off, like a weight has been taken off my shoulders, and can onto a better state. Emilie Autumn's music and writings are my go-to.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Very dark thoughts warning, I suppose.
    Spoiler:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    @Meg, I know how you feel on a thing or two you said

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Very dark thoughts warning, I suppose.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Replying to the topic above about coping mechanisms:

I find talking it out the most effective coping mechanism. No expectation of solutions or advice, I just think it can be helpful to have someone who cares and listens. Therapy helped. Therapists do this as their job and this helped me detach a bit more from the toxic mentality that opening up was weak to do. It was a double standard I didn't realise that was super toxic to hold myself to. I realised that I would never think negatively of anyone else opening up and that I should respect myself also. I have tried to be more open but it's still difficult, and I would like to stop hiding how I feel because it's not healthy.

I learnt a lot of coping strategies from previous therapy that have helped. At first I won't lie, it was so uncomfortable talking about any type of trauma and having a lot of it resurface through talking about it. But I learnt a lot and some of it, I still use today. I mainly went to help with my ED, depression and hypochondria when I was younger. Everyone's experiences are different and it might take a while to find a good therapist but I think it was helpful. Not an overnight change at all but I did notice things improving after seeing a therapist. I noticed things would relapse without a therapist for the first year or so afterwards but I learnt enough from it to self-manage things somewhat OK. Thinking of going back and also maybe starting medication though as things have been feeling really hard lately. I know everyone's experience with medication is different but it would be interesting to hear how people have found medication helpful for their mental health.

Outside of that, there are a few small coping mechanisms I turn to if things aren't gong well. Music and exercise if I have the energy for it, help me. I like forms of escapism like reading, playing games, watching TV and so on to take my mind off things but if things are super bad and I just don't have an interest in anything, then the first two I mentioned above are the most helpful.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    So like, I'm not even sure where to post this but I just got some really awful news and I don't want to just stew in it alone.

Spoiler:

tl;dr - my cousin got a liver transplant two days ago because of his drinking and no one told me about how sick he was and I hate alcohol and I'm never having children and I can't believe I put my family through the same thing.

Last edited:
    Back