• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo 3DS Discussion

Will you be getting the new 3DS/3DS XL when it is released?

• Definitely!

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • Nah, I'll pass...

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
  • The only thing I want to know regarding the New 3DS is will I be able to transfer all of my data from Mii Plaza. I don't want to recollect all the hats and puzzle pieces from scratch, for it's too time-consuming. I can at least transfer any apps I've bought from eshop into my SD card.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • The only thing I want to know regarding the New 3DS is will I be able to transfer all of my data from Mii Plaza. I don't want to recollect all the hats and puzzle pieces from scratch, for it's too time-consuming. I can at least transfer any apps I've bought from eshop into my SD card.
    I don't see why not. That stuff transfers from 3DS to 3DS currently, so I doubt it'd change now.

\/

Grey Cat
    Years
  • Given it has a built in second circle pad, I think it's really just begging to be released bundled with Monster Hunter 4, which'd want a second circle pad anyway and is 'early 2015' atm too.
    In the video they called it Cスティック (C stick) and in the animation it seems to tilt like a joystick, or one of those little mouse control nubs on some laptops. Monster Hunter was the first game they showed on the new system.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • How freaky, last night I was staring at my 3DS (a Black original) and wondered when they would release the 'DSi' version of the 3DS. I guess the answer was tomorrow 0_o...
    I want the new version. I didn't buy the DSi as I had brought my DS lite recently at the time, plus the DS lite still worked. Sadly my 3DS isn't in as good a shape as my Ds lite was at that point (well I did buy it earlier in the life cycle of system). The paint is falling off, and my joystick is malfunctioning. So this will be a nice chance to get this. Plus it'll allow me to evolve Pokemon on my own again (like I did in Gen V between my DS lite and 3DS).

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    My launch day 3DS is pretty battered up, so looks a logical upgrade to me. I don't get the placement of the volume switch, but the right stick and zl/zr keys included will make monster hunter 4 ultimate a lot more enjoyable. Also the upgrade to microsd storage and Nokia Lumia-like removable back panels are nice modernisations.

Why they went with a psp nub rather than another circle pad is weird though, although imo psp analogue stick > 3ds circle pad.

EDIT: apparently it's web browser (which is updated to support html5) has a in-built website filtering system and requires 30p to remove it. (source) Once again nintendo pandering too much to 10 year olds and their worried soccermoms. >_>

Years
  • This looks so cool! I don't have a 3ds, so I might consider it. Might as well import one from Japan since my birthday is in October and I couldn't wait for a western 2015 release. Also the prices seem good. Interested how different the screen size is(if there is any) between the XL and this LL one.
    I really wanna import it, but not sure if the japanese games have a multi-language option (since as far as I know the 3ds is region locked).

Years
  • I wonder if they will have a trade-in event at Gamestop?

I would love to upgrade if they give me a discount to trade my console and transfer my purchases for me. Though, anything less than $75 would be immensely disappointing by 2015.

Also, I prefer the white with the rybg buttons, why can't that be the larger version? Also, won't this lower sales on the new smash bros consoles, ect??? I would have waited to make this announcement after the holidays...Not a month prior to the 3ds Smash Bros release!!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Ugh omg no. I already regret buying a second 3DS XL system last Black Friday.

I got the original cosmo black 3DS in like 2011, traded that in for a blue 3DS XL in 2012, and then just got my pink 3DS XL less than a year ago I do NOT need another 3DS system :\\\

Plus it's highly unlikely for Nintendo to release any new 'exclusive' games that I would really want, anyway, so it's a big fat ol' no from me.

EDIT: Plus the only selling point on the system for me is the new placement of the start/select buttons and how they're reminiscent to the GBA, but that's it. I don't like the placement of the c-stick because it looks difficult to play with manicured nails. I was considering getting the 'original' version size, but after seeing comparison pics it only looks slightly smaller than my XL. Not worth it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2014
    Oh nice. I would love to upgrade and get the new model next year, but that will take some saving money. I hope the amiibos work with the current 3DS systems and not just the new ones. I already have two 3DS systems, I really don't need a third.. but then again, maybe I do. Nintendo has already worked on milking my wallet these next upcoming months as it is. They need to stop for awhile. o.o

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    First off the naming. People thinking that it won't make any sense to consumers are ignoring the brand. Having the Amiibo logo l, if it takes off, will help signify a connection between the two. If you want you can buy this platform, or you can get this new 3DS with it built in. Simple and clean.
    Second off yes exclusive titles suck, but they need to show off the hardware. In the end I think the enhanced titles bit is more inportant. Its a first view into the future od Nintendo. They mentioned various SKUs for their handhelds and consoles and this is likely the testibg ground. I expect all 2015 and bryond titles to have better graphics on the N3DS, while slowly more titles become exclusive.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • https://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/...mate-smash-bros-get-new-nintendo-3ds-bundles/

I called it - but really it just made sense. Now to wait for us westerners to get such a bundle!

Nintendo 3DS Discussion

Gimme that New 3DS XL, I don't need to replace that look anyway.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I won't be able to justify buying it, but it does look very nice. This reminds me of when the DSi came out, and not being able to play the DSiWare games. I guess it's just Xenoblade for now, but I hope there won't be too many exclusives for this new iteration.

Yukari

Then I saw that it'd have some games exclusive to it, and one of them is a Xenoblade port. @_@ WHELP Talk about being conflicted now!

The Xenoblade Port also is making me think about buying it. :P

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Yes. Yes. All of my yes.
    I never got the XL and stuck with my original 3DS all these years, so this will be a nice upgrade, I think. I'll still have to consider it though, I usually don't like replacing usable things, unless the new device renders it completely obsolete. Maybe if there are exclusives or something.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • As much as I love Nintendo IPs, one thing I seriously don't understand is why can't they design games that work on both consoles, but take advantage of the improved hardware on the new system rather than exclusive? (N3DS enhanced or whatever you call it)

For instance, Modern Combat 5 on iPhone 5c and 4s. The iPhone 5c version looks better and plays better, but the game still runs on the 4s without major problems. Not sure why Nintendo isn't going this route.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • As much as I love Nintendo IPs, one thing I seriously don't understand is why can't they design games that work on both consoles, but take advantage of the improved hardware on the new system rather than exclusive? (N3DS enhanced or whatever you call it)

For instance, Modern Combat 5 on iPhone 5c and 4s. The iPhone 5c version looks better and plays better, but the game still runs on the 4s without major problems. Not sure why Nintendo isn't going this route.
    They can, and they have. That was pretty much the case with the DSi.

Xenoblade seems to be proof of concept, a good way to show exactly what the CPU is capable of (since, if the Wii was any indication, that game had to have pushed the system to its limits). I can't see them making it for the 3DS unless they scaled it down a good bit and made a separate version specifically for it.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • They can, and they have. That was pretty much the case with the DSi.

Xenoblade seems to be proof of concept, a good way to show exactly what the CPU is capable of (since, if the Wii was any indication, that game had to have pushed the system to its limits). I can't see them making it for the 3DS unless they scaled it down a good bit and made a separate version specifically for it.

If I recall, DSi enhanced games are just filled with new features (camera) rather than a better performing game.

You're right though. Xenoblade is a very intensive game. If it were made for the original 3DS I guess it'll be bogged down like crazy. Many 3DS owners seem to worry that their console will be left obsolete with this new introduction, but chances are it'll not happen, unless this new 3DS turns out to be a true successor (but it isn't).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back