• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo 3DS Discussion

Will you be getting the new 3DS/3DS XL when it is released?

• Definitely!

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • Nah, I'll pass...

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

blue

gucci
    Years
    My top 3 games for 3DS right now are;

#1 - Pokémon X/Y
    #2 - Animal Crossing: New Leaf
    #3 - Mario Kart 7

Really enjoying the games Nintendo have released in the past year or so for the 3DS, we had great titles last year and we've still got some great ones to come this year! *Cough* ORAS & Smash Bros.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    1. Luigi's Mansion 2
    2. NSMB 2
    3. Heroes of Ruin
    4. Professor Layton And the Azran Legacy
    5. Animal Crossing New Leaf

Gonna change by the end of the year, no doubt about it, oh and that list has no order. Fantasy Life and ORAS will definitely replace Heroes of Ruin and Animal Crossing as the games that took up most of my time(HoR, god I've spent so much time looting with others), and maybe Kirby will kick NSMB2 off the list as my new favorite Platformer, but Luigi's Mansion and Professor Layton, those 2 will always be my favorites on the damn thing. And this isn't even counting all the amazing eShop games.(I <3 Picross!)

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2014
    Seeing a lot of fire emblems on the lists, might have to try that game out some time.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Anyone planning on getting Fantasy Life for the 3DS? I literally only found out about it today but it seems to have a pretty strong following, and generally positive reviews across the board.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    Anyone planning on getting Fantasy Life for the 3DS? I literally only found out about it today but it seems to have a pretty strong following, and generally positive reviews across the board.

The game is about two years old already, I can't believe they've just translated it x__x

An RPG created by Level-5? I see a lot of puzzles coming soon lol.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Hey guys - quick question here, hoping this doesn't get ignored and confound to the depths of PC.

I'm buying a 3DS specifically for ORAS. Don't shoot me. I probably won't play any other game on it. I bought a DS specifically for Diamond, then later HGSS and Black/2.

With that in mind: am I looking for 3DS, 3DS XL or 2DS? Any opinions welcome! Hopefully I can get some good feedback on the 2DS as I'm sure that will be the least popular opinion. Chances are I'll be buying it used or refurbished.

Thanks all!

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    Hey guys - quick question here, hoping this doesn't get ignored and confound to the depths of PC.

I'm buying a 3DS specifically for ORAS. Don't shoot me. I probably won't play any other game on it. I bought a DS specifically for Diamond, then later HGSS and Black/2.

With that in mind: am I looking for 3DS, 3DS XL or 2DS? Any opinions welcome! Hopefully I can get some good feedback on the 2DS as I'm sure that will be the least popular opinion. Chances are I'll be buying it used or refurbished.

Thanks all!

I'd say 3DS. XL is a little bit too much if you're only playing Pokemon, the default screen size is more than enough (and if you're used to a NDS screen then the normal 3DS screen will be paradise for you). 2DS is like having a (big) tablet, it's not very practical to be honest with you :/

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I meanwhile say 3DS XL because I much prefer the larger screen size - granted, Pokemon doesn't need it, but it's nicer. (And frankly it will be worth considering other games down the line, if only because a console only for ORAS sorta is missing out on the rest of the great 3DS games out there). If you can, try them both out in stores or something and see which feels better for you.

2DS is different from either of the other two though; no clampshell design (so less portable) and no 3D (not a big deal though); on the flip side, cheaper. If you want to play your handheld outside of the house it's probably the worse option, otherwise it'd be worth considering.

Or if you want to wait to buy brand new then there'll be the New3DS models in ~ half a year, but that will cost more than buying a used/refurbished 3DS now and they'll come out after ORAS anyway.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2014
    I've never had an XL in both the DS and 3DS models. I'm wondering if it's just a bigger screen size or do you get a better image quality too?

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Luigis Mansion 2 huh? Gotta ask, why is that your #1 game?
    Read my post, its in no order. I don't have any #1, everything in my top 5 is equal.
    YES. I've been waiting ages to buy it, and its the one reason I originally wanted a 3DS. Made by the now defunct, yet legendary Brownie Brown, and I love the idea of playing an RPG as a Chef/Hunter/Hero.

Also, apparently the price difference in faceplates is in fact because the various pricey ones are in fact made of different materials. There's a felt on, the wood one is actual wood, and the black Mario stamp one is high quality embossed plastic.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Read my post, its in no order. I don't have any #1, everything in my top 5 is equal.

Nonetheless, you refer to it as a top 5 game which was why I imposed the question. I personally think the game falls flat compared to the GameCube game, which was why I I was curious as to why you had such praise for it.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Nonetheless, you refer to it as a top 5 game which was why I imposed the question. I personally think the game falls flat compared to the GameCube game, which was why I I was curious as to why you had such praise for it.
    Fair enough. Yeah it falls a bit flat due to the multiple mansions, but eh, Luigi's Mansion 2 being a reality is more then enough for me.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I am happy Luigi's Mansion 2 exists. I hope we see more. It was a fun little romp and better in the beginning of the game than at the end. I do prefer the GCN original though, yeah. The atmosphere was better. The music was better. The controls were better. I liked the power up system better. I like having multiple bosses. I liked the ghost gallery. etc.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I meanwhile say 3DS XL because I much prefer the larger screen size - granted, Pokemon doesn't need it, but it's nicer. (And frankly it will be worth considering other games down the line, if only because a console only for ORAS sorta is missing out on the rest of the great 3DS games out there). If you can, try them both out in stores or something and see which feels better for you.

2DS is different from either of the other two though; no clampshell design (so less portable) and no 3D (not a big deal though); on the flip side, cheaper. If you want to play your handheld outside of the house it's probably the worse option, otherwise it'd be worth considering.

Or if you want to wait to buy brand new then there'll be the New3DS models in ~ half a year, but that will cost more than buying a used/refurbished 3DS now and they'll come out after ORAS anyway.

Normally waiting would make a lot of sense, but I assure you I will simply be playing ORAS. I'm a PC gamer, and only when I was a kid could I stand gaming on such a tiny screen. I hate gaming on my phone but I do it on the subway to pass the time.

With that in mind, I guess the bigger the screen the better, so that a plus for 3DS XL. But is the screen really that noticeably bigger? Would I really feel a difference in the XL versus the stock 3DS?

To be honest, I kiiind of think I'll end up getting the XL. The refurbished price of the 3DS and XL are actually quite close, and from that point of view, it's kinda dumb to go for the 3DS. Maybe just another 20 or 30 bucks and I can get the XL.

Anybody ever bought used consoles from EB Games/Gamestop? That's where I'll be picking it up, if I do. The guy at the store really sold me on the platinum card I'd get, and getting that would knock the price of the refurbished XL down to the price of a refurbished 3DS, so no brainer pretty much. Hopefully that's actually true and he wasn't just lying out his ass and I get held up with the next cashier who's thinking "uh... what?"

Years
    How "reliable" are used 3ds xL systems? Considering something other than my reg 3ds to self trade, self (troll) Friend Safari. And 200$ for the Yveltal pops up now and then. Sometimes 250$. Mad at self for missing out on that Yoshi one.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    I've never had an XL in both the DS and 3DS models. I'm wondering if it's just a bigger screen size or do you get a better image quality too?

Bigger size screen, and brighter/more contrasted images~ Which was why I traded my old 3DS for it, hehe.

How "reliable" are used 3ds xL systems? Considering something other than my reg 3ds to self trade, self (troll) Friend Safari. And 200$ for the Yveltal pops up now and then. Sometimes 250$. Mad at self for missing out on that Yoshi one.

They're honestly really durable and will last a very long time if you take care of them well!~

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Does pixel density increase from 3DS to 3DS XL? Or am I just getting an inflated picture?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back