• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

'Nostalgia"

Years
    • Online now
    What makes you feel nostalgic?

I was thinking about this the other day, and I don't get the feeling too much, however I did when I was viewing old commercials from 2011.

Catto

♫•*¨*•.¸¸♪ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    Years
  • I think forums are one of them, I have a lot of nostalgia for the times when the internet was a quiet place and forums were the place where most people shared their lives and interests, everything else just moved at a snail's pace.

Besides this, I think certain animes, toys (i had tons of 90s and early 00s brand toys), clothes, songs...even photo filters. I try to avoid things that make me spiral into a nostalgia trip because I know it's a ticket to a long journey of emotions and more often than not we tend to see thing through a pink filter. But god, sometimes I can't help myself...some of those were TOO GOOD to be forgotten ><

Taro Tanaka

Banned
    Years
  • For some reason, both Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts take me back to the 2000's when I was still in late grade school and early middle school. I don't know why. I'm not really a big Final Fantasy fan, and I've never played Kingdom Hearts. But I do remember the commercials airing for the latter...

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Not a lot these days. A lot of those things are still so active with all the remixing of content done in different media (Youtube content, game remakes, etc.) that it only rarely shows up.

I guess the 90s anime art style still does it for me to some extent because it's so different to what you see nowadays.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    For me its forums and older websites. What makes me so melancholic is that it seems that people deliberately are destroying and disregarding the old web now.

Years
  • seeing old cartoon network tv shows on youtube, playing old browser games like club penguin, poptropica, and old flash games from y8.com, reading old fanfiction i used to binge, and seeing my old drawings/stories i wrote from when i was still a kid. these activities remind me of what life was like before adulting, back when i had very little control of my life, but was a lot more stress free.

• Computer software from the late 90s and early-mid 2000s. Windows XP, Winamp, AIM, MSN Messenger. Software that was customizable, with different themes and tons of options to configure. That kinda stuff. I love looking back at old screenshots from that era.

For me its forums and older websites. What makes me so melancholic is that it seems that people deliberately are destroying and disregarding the old web now.
    Interesting take! Which parts you feel are being destroyed and disregarded? I generally agree that communities on the modern web are lacking. Compare something like Reddit (basically "the" forum now) and something like PokeCommunity. Reddit does a lot of things right, but it's nowhere near as good at fostering a sense of community. Even in smaller niche subreddits there's something about the way information is presented that makes everything feel way more transient. Compared to PokeCommunity or other retro-inspired internet forums, where you get a sense that there's a group of real people here that form their own little social structure. Totally different vibes.

That said, Discord servers are as transient as you can get and they're flourishing. So who knows.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • "Anything that's made me happy in the past" is such a vague non-answer but it's kinda what came to mind? I've had a lot of "phases" in my life where I've been really into something new, so if I'm reminded of it, I'll think about how happy it made me or the happy experiences I had surrounding it.

Earlier today I stumbled across something that made me nostalgic because it's something I found that inspired me. I'm intentionally being vague here. It gave me that feeling that I wouldn't be where I was now if it wasn't for how I found it years ago. That made me think of how finding this nostalgic thing led me to doing something which led to doing something and so on, and being where I am now. Like it sort of made me backtrack through my memories. I guess that's kinda what being nostalgic is for me.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    That said, Discord servers are as transient as you can get and they're flourishing. So who knows.

Its probably just the way my brain is wired, but I get nothing from discord, it feels like I am wasting my time. There doesn't seem to be any real conversation, just people shouting at each other it is eventually getting lost in the backlog. I think I just can't use chat rooms in general, this has nothing to do with the modern internet, as chat rooms were always a thing.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • Its probably just the way my brain is wired, but I get nothing from discord, it feels like I am wasting my time. There doesn't seem to be any real conversation, just people shouting at each other it is eventually getting lost in the backlog. I think I just can't use chat rooms in general, this has nothing to do with the modern internet, as chat rooms were always a thing.

I think I sort of get what you mean. It's often tough for me to join large or popular Discord servers because of that. It obviously depends on the people so it's too general to really say, but people can often say the atmosphere can be toxic or unwelcoming. For me personally, it's just awkward for me to break in and feel comfortable in a large group like that. The main ones I'm in are just smaller groups of friends, that's what chatrooms have mainly been for me in general.

To keep this reply on topic, chatrooms themselves are nostalgic for me. Things like account theming and flair customization on PC actually reminds me of an old chat site I used to use all the time when I was young and where I met my first genuine group of friends.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Nostalgia comes to me more when I am unhappy with my current state. It's easy to look back at things with rose-tinted glasses. There is not much I feel nostalgic for at the moment.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I don't really know what makes me nostalgic, but I do know that I live in a perpetual state of nostalgia.

The Fairy Pokémon

Loves glitter
    Years
  • "Anything that's made me happy in the past" is such a vague non-answer but it's kinda what came to mind? I've had a lot of "phases" in my life where I've been really into something new, so if I'm reminded of it, I'll think about how happy it made me or the happy experiences I had surrounding it.
    This. Even things that are still around (like pokémon) are nostalgic for me for that reason.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • Old Pokémon merch makes me feel that way.
    Sometimes old shows on the BBC, Nickelodeon and Cartoon network male me feel majorly nostalgic too.

Diarkia124

The Jack Master
    Years
  • The Marriland Forums closed down recently so I started listening to some of the Japanese intros for DPPt since that was the new thing when I joined. So much simpler time back then.

Diarkia124

The Jack Master
    Years
  • wait it did?? omg i loved that place. Marriland is forever iconic to me for the being the guy to introduce me to the Pokemon Let's Play/Walkthrough format that i fell in love with in my youth. binge watched his content endlessly.

It did, now it's just a discord community. If you were on the forums, what was your username there?

One thing that also made me feel nostalgic was seeing fairly odd parents for the first time in years. Luckily it was an older episode.

Back