• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

older teens and adults, what brings you to Pokémon?

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    I actually started playing as an adult. Now I'm still playing as an... older adult.

For me, it's just that they're good games. They're simple enough that I can pop in and play for a while then put the game down and do whatever I need to do and come back to it later without much trouble, the strategy is complex enough that it's satisfying without being so complex that it starts to feel like work to play, and they're a great combination of genres - part roleplaying game and part turn-based strategy.

That's it, really. They're just good, satisfying, amusing games.

CptSwaggerPants

Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP
    Years
  • It was just the first thing I took an interest in when I was young, it's been my avid interest since and I'm all grown up now, I'm a deputy and have my own house and truck but it's still a huge part in my life. I go to tournaments when I can, I buy all the merchandise I can and a whole lot of other odd things that I do, that may seem obsessed or just dumb to most people.

Years
  • My mind was very limited at the time I started watching Pokemon. I only checked my tv for new episodes or the official site itself. Well it all changed when I joined PokeCommunity, my mind broadened and I learned many new things to get involved in Pokemon world.
    My age is 24 by now but still I cannot get rid of Pokemon as it magnetizes me

Sirfetch’d

I am just simply still in love haha. It seems that GF never runs out if ideas, so I just keep sticking around as a Pokemon fan. With X&Y coming up in a month, I have never been so excited in my life for a Pokemon game. To tell you the truth, I don't think I will ever grow out of it. Another reason is, PC. Ever since joining here, my Pokemon interests have skyrocketed and I am very happy for that. I look at Pokemon as a whole from a entirely different perspective now and that is all thanks to becoming a member here.

Years
  • Hmm... it was a huge part of my childhood so nostalgia is a huge factor I guess, although I got bored of the anime's repetitiveness.

The games are still fun, and the plots are always interesting.

I'm starting to get into competitive play which is interesting in ways I never thought pokemon could be.

As Foxrally and RHCP said it is an amazing topic for RPing and this community helps keep me drawn into the series.

Quite frankly though the biggest reason is because it is still fun.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I just love the critters. I really enjoy playing with them, as well as watching them wreck my opponents.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    Yellow is where I started as a child, been on a Pokemon craze from Yellow to Emerald. I had to quit Pokemon because my family thought I'm too old for Pokemon. When I started talking about Pokemon in MapleTip (that was the old MapleStory forum BTW) I had to use Nidoking's Blue sprite as my avatar. Then by the time I become an adult, I got Pokemon Platinum, making Gen 4 my comeback generation.

Guess I learned you're never too old for Pokemon the hard way. Just my family doesn't wanna fully acknowledge.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • I grew up playing Pokemon and Mario series games. I'm currently hooked on both till this very day from 1998. I have to admit though, I tried to stop playing due to all the verbal abuse, but in the end I didn't care and went back to playing it. I still get teased though haha...

Black Dynamite

Resident Noob
    Years
  • good question. i kinda grew out of pokemon around 7 years ago, only recently i got bored and had a spur of the moment rush to download a bunch of poke roms and relive my childhood. tbh im on the forums more then playing the game, i've rewatched a few of the movies. and i'm getting into pixel art, cause i've always liked drawing and designing pokemon :)

Water Gym Leader

Arlyn Aquos
    Years
  • I've always been a fan of Pokemon since the days of Pokemon Yellow. I like to see where the games go every generation and every generation I get sucked in. It's a viscous cycle.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • Sorry but isn't this almost the same as what got you into pokemon thread? I mean I don't like to make a same post but just to make it short and sweet, my son got me into it years ago.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I have been around since it has been around and it came out right when I was old enough to understand some of it.

I also just love collecting them and all the different pokemon. I probably will never out grow the pokemon games.

I did fall away from pokemon during 4th generation, but got back into it a few months before 5th gen. Hoenn was by far my favorite saga and the Battle Frontier. The 4th Gen was a downgrade for me. Though I loved Piplup almost instantly when I first saw the new pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Let's see... I enjoy Pokemon for it's general gameplay and storyline. Also, I like collecting shiny Pokemon and setting up a Trade Shop!

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
    Years
  • Nostalgia brought be back in more than likely. And I stuck around because I love video games and Pokémon is just so much fun! It's really neat that people from different walks of life and generations (no pun intended) can come together for this one video game. c:

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • I play the games since the Yellow (i think) and i got hooked!!!
    But for me, what kept my favourite hobby (yes i wrote hobby-i have no life) alive all these years is the giant community the games have. i went into an anime and manga convention here in Israel and was surprised to see a pokemon TCG tournament, Pokemon merchandise and they actually put pokemon games for sale. of course i didnt bring enough money to buy Black2 but i have it on emulator so its fine :D.....I did bought a turtwig ha though (with the leaf and all)...which i lost like 40 minutes later.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Sorry but isn't this almost the same as what got you into pokemon thread? I mean I don't like to make a same post but just to make it short and sweet, my son got me into it years ago.
    I'm thinking more that this thread is for exploring what makes older people in the fandom enjoy pokémon, or still stick around the fandom - as opposed to just finding the game, anime or TCG as a kid like most seem to do. Take my reply above here, for example. It's not at all the same things that keep me interested in the franchise these days that it was when I was ~10 years old and first found it.

Jet Pilot

I killed Spiderman.
    Years
  • Basically nostalgia, I miss being an innocent child. Unaware of anything in the world, kind of brings me back to that mindset for a little while :>. I still enjoy it too, over most other new games now-a-days.

Back