• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Online Services for 3DS and WiiU to be shut down next year

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1709418623566020975

This was expected to happen at some point.

If there's still anything you need to do on a 3DS or WiiU game that requires online features, get 'em done sooner rather than later. There's apparently a couple of exceptions, being Pokemon Bank and downloading update data for games, but it seems that eventually those will also no longer be a thing.

Years
    • Seen today
    It feels like Nintendo is much quicker to shut down servers than other companies. PS3 and Xbox 360 digital stores remain open. (2006 and 2005 consoles respectively).

Years
  • It sucks; but it was inevitable that the servers would be shut down at some point. It's been 3/4 years since the 3DS was discontinued and as ZeoStar said; Nintendo has always been quick to shut down their online. Hopefully the Wiimmfi team can create an exploit for the 3DS so people can continue to enjoy these game's online features past April.

Last edited:

FullMetal_Ashheart

The Heart and Soul of Fire
    Years
  • It feels like Nintendo is much quicker to shut down servers than other companies. PS3 and Xbox 360 digital stores remain open. (2006 and 2005 consoles respectively).

As far as I know, Xbox 360's digital store is shutting down next year as well. But, you are right about Nintendo.

And to be honest, this was bound to happen sooner or later since Nintendo shut down the eShop for those systems not too long ago.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • Yep. Nintendo doesn't care about game preservation and doesn't care about the bad PR this will get

What else is new?

VaatiRulesets

Check my custom rulesets on my signature ^^ [PC Vi
    Days
    • Seen Nov 11, 2023
    Pokémon Bank is indeed an exception, but for how long? I don't even think Nintendo knows..

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    I want to confirm that I understood this correctly for when the servers for online trading, the free software updates on eShop, etc. do go down.

I impulse-bought a 2DS on Ebay for playthroughs of Gen 6 and Gen 7. "Why a 2DS?" It was cheaper than a 3DS. (Also, I kept seeing handhelds that were hacked and therefore could not trade Pokémon). I knew deep down that I really want to use Mega Alakazam for a ORAS playthrough in the future, which requires trading between Gen 6 games. As of this post, I've never completed an Alola playthrough, but maybe I will someday. I downloaded all the updates onto the micro SD card, which the seller was kind enough to include. This included Pokémon X and Y and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire and Pokémon Sun and Moon and Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon as well as Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon just to be thorough (these updates are free after all). Oh, one more thing: I bought a new 3DS battery for my original 3DS, and it's been installed now. I didn't use the 3DS for anything besides Pokémon, but the 3DS battery was on sale. Does this mean I can trade and play Pokémon Gen 6 and Gen 7 games on 3DS after 3DS eShop truly goes defunct and after TPCi inevitably shuts down 3DS online trading? Is there anything else I need to do?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I want to confirm that I understood this correctly for when the servers for online trading, the free software updates on eShop, etc. do go down.

I impulse-bought a 2DS on Ebay for playthroughs of Gen 6 and Gen 7. "Why a 2DS?" It was cheaper than a 3DS. (Also, I kept seeing handhelds that were hacked and therefore could not trade Pokémon). I knew deep down that I really want to use Mega Alakazam for a ORAS playthrough in the future, which requires trading between Gen 6 games. As of this post, I've never completed an Alola playthrough, but maybe I will someday. I downloaded all the updates onto the micro SD card, which the seller was kind enough to include. This included Pokémon X and Y and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire and Pokémon Sun and Moon and Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon as well as Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon just to be thorough (these updates are free after all). Oh, one more thing: I bought a new 3DS battery for my original 3DS, and it's been installed now. I didn't use the 3DS for anything besides Pokémon, but the 3DS battery was on sale. Does this mean I can trade and play Pokémon Gen 6 and Gen 7 games on 3DS after 3DS eShop truly goes defunct and after TPCi inevitably shuts down 3DS online trading? Is there anything else I need to do?
    If you have 2 functioning 3DSes/2DSes and are just looking to trade between yourself, you will always be able to do so. Local communication is a wireless, non-internet thing and will still work long after the online services shut down.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    Wasn't one of the updates for Gen 6 kind of, like, critical? Back when people were scrambling to download eShop titles, someone on YouTube suggested that there was a game-breaking bug (the bad kind) in XY or ORAS where the game would crash or something like that. That's what I was worried about.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Wasn't one of the updates for Gen 6 kind of, like, critical? Back when people were scrambling to download eShop titles, someone on YouTube suggested that there was a game-breaking bug (the bad kind) in XY or ORAS where the game would crash or something like that. That's what I was worried about.

Yes, there was a game-breaking bug in XY that would make saves unloadable if the player saved in parts of outdoor Lumiose City. It's easily avoidable if you know about it in advance, but if someone doesn't, the bug is Really Bad.

JollyRoger25

Dark Type Master
    Years
  • 3ds internet shutdown???

So I just read an article about how they're gonna soon shut down the 3ds internet. So this might be a quick answer, but it's open for discussion on how you feel about it, but do you think that they're gonna shut down pokemon transferabilty with this internet shut down?

Days
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I read about it. I'm disappointed that they are going to shut it down. They probably won't keep transferability unless they update the Pokemon bank app, which I doubt that they'll do that.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    So I just read an article about how they're gonna soon shut down the 3ds internet. So this might be a quick answer, but it's open for discussion on how you feel about it, but do you think that they're gonna shut down pokemon transferabilty with this internet shut down?
    (Merged your thread into the one in Video Games. Mentions Pokemon Bank being an exception for now, per Nah's post above.)

Wondered when this would happen. Will miss 3DS Wonder Trades being a thing. Saves them from fixing the Sun/Moon GTS hacker issue, also.

Does not really care beyond Pokemon, however. Plays no other game it would adversely affect.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • "Nintendo doesn't care about preservation" indeed.

This is really annoying. If you want to do a living dex, do it now. I won't be hacking my 3ds or whatever to be able to go online after it shuts down.

Days
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Actually I read that bank will stay open a bit longer than april, but it probably isn't going to last beyond 2024 and will be shutdown at a random date that hasn't been determined.

Days
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I put so many hours onto x and ultra moon... Barely got online on 2020, it felt so short for me. I completed living dexes on gen 6 and 7. I know this seems like too much to say, but thank you poke community for the help on my dexes this year, hope I can still get help on current switch games and other future Pokemon titles. Actually, I may have to find more people I can trade with, due to the removal of pss communications functionality with greetings being the message. The only way to get reliable trades is with people you know.

Days
    • Seen Dec 5, 2023
    Hey everyone, I apologize for bringing up this topic after months, but has anyone here tried transferring Pokémon from OR/AS or X&Y to Pokémon Bank in the last few days?

After a long time, I found my 3DS gathering dust. I started playing again for fun, and the addiction came back, lol. I noticed that Nintendo closed the e-shop, but in my case, I downloaded the latest version of Bank on time, and it's working. I can access the app and even see the Pokémon inside the account. The problem I'm facing is precisely when trying to put the Pokémon from the games into the Pokémon Bank: the app simply gives an error and disconnects from the internet.

Is it just a bug that can be fixed, or is there no way to transfer Pokémon from the games to the Pokémon Bank account anymore?

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey everyone, I apologize for bringing up this topic after months, but has anyone here tried transferring Pokémon from OR/AS or X&Y to Pokémon Bank in the last few days?

After a long time, I found my 3DS gathering dust. I started playing again for fun, and the addiction came back, lol. I noticed that Nintendo closed the e-shop, but in my case, I downloaded the latest version of Bank on time, and it's working. I can access the app and even see the Pokémon inside the account. The problem I'm facing is precisely when trying to put the Pokémon from the games into the Pokémon Bank: the app simply gives an error and disconnects from the internet.

Is it just a bug that can be fixed, or is there no way to transfer Pokémon from the games to the Pokémon Bank account anymore?
    I just checked my 3DS, and it let me move Bidoof from *Pokémon X*. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Extra info regarding transfers from Gen I and II on Virtual Console: In order to transfer Pokémon from Virtual Console RBY or GSC, Poké Transporter is required, and the only way to download that is to use Pokémon Bank and get a special link to the correct eShop page which is now gone.

Back