• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious Pokecommunity then vs Now

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I think one year, we became Serebii, and the staff turned on a really funny censorship filter that day like Pokecommunity being censored to THE GREATEST EVER (in all capital letters!) and some word that was censored to Applesauce. I wish the April Fools pranks were archived out there somewhere, though, because I think a lot of the pranks weren't screenshot on the wayback archive.
    Rejoice, for I followed the reference from my username, and have chronicled some history of PC!

I knew I had some screenshots of PC's past kicking around on my external hard drive. I'll share the ones that I have. First one is a large one, tossed behind a spoiler.

Spoiler:

PC used to have welcome messages on the old skins. One of the admins (I want to say Audy, but that's probably because he was the one that did the most random ideas) had rotating messages that changed with each page refresh. There were dozens of them. I only saved one.

Pokecommunity then vs Now

There was also this message I found. It appeared when a person followed a link to a dead page. I forgot exactly what I was looking for to get here.

Astinus getting me to read Ender's Game
    I adore that that is my legacy.

I might come back with some memories about PC other than screenshots at a later date.

Years
  • Someone on Skype mentioned this site and upon catching a glimpse of it, decided to join right away. It was back when I was still using LauriJ as my handle of choice. I think it was either 2015 or 2016, I don't quite remember honestly. While the forums are still awesome, I do miss the various social media icons that acted as links. And unlike many of the other forums I used back then, you could even link people to your Steam account. Now that was awesome!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I adore that that is my legacy.

You opened up the world sci-fi (slightly horror) and existentialism through literature in a way I can't even express! Octavia Butler, Seth Dickinson.. it's like 6:30 so I'm drawing blanks on any others but yeah! You like inspired a love of reading I never knew I had! (´,,•ω•,,)♡

Also come back forever?

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • PC used to have welcome messages on the old skins. One of the admins (I want to say Audy, but that's probably because he was the one that did the most random ideas) had rotating messages that changed with each page refresh. There were dozens of them. I only saved one.

I wrote a ton of them! They still exist in the old skins... that can still be accessed through some dark magic.

Spoiler:

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I wrote a ton of them! They still exist in the old skins... that can still be accessed through some dark magic.

Spoiler:
    the worst travesty of pc's evolution is the removal of these

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Gosh and people couldn't stand them at the time, I remember. PC had a big "um toggle this please" phase instead of just enjoying things in the moment. Can't tell you how many time the sentence, "xyz is just change for the sake of change" was said as if it were a dirty word. Like, maybe change for the sake of fun?

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Gosh and people couldn't stand them at the time, I remember. PC had a big "um toggle this please" phase instead of just enjoying things in the moment. Can't tell you how many time the sentence, "xyz is just change for the sake of change" was said as if it were a dirty word. Like, maybe change for the sake of fun?

Can I get a toggle for toggles

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • PC was always a wonderful place to be through my many years on here. I joined when my pixel art comics on Serebii and another site didn't get any attention, but there was a small community of folks who did pixel comics here and I made some of my earliest friends on PC here. I branched out and made a lot of long term friendships after that, but a lot of those wildly organic friendships happened in the early days of PC when so many different things had a forum (social clubs, fan clubs, etc). The second best period of PC was when the Underground was thriving. Some of the best and most creative people made and played those games. Always super thought provoking games. I miss those times. :')

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    thinking about how many 27 year old men would speak with more conviction than a martyred saint about their thoughts on 11 year old female pokemon anime protagonists

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • thinking about how many 27 year old men would speak with more conviction than a martyred saint about their thoughts on 11 year old female pokemon anime protagonists

I don't know if this post is a joke, but yikes. Good thing the Pokemon anime forum isn't like that nowadays.

rm2kdude

Advanced Pixel-Artist
    Years
    • Age 35
    • usa
    • Seen Oct 30, 2022
    I joined back in 2004 (so fire red/leaf green days?) I mostly hung out in the game development forums, not much has really changed since then.
    Became a network engineer, covid happened, moved back home, now just enjoy my days watching anime eating 1 chip at a time.

Koriaku

...Like a Circus?
    Years
  • So odd that I happen to see this topic. I haven't been here in a longgggg while, but was kinda reminiscing on the olden days. Lol. I joined in 2004, so I think 2 years after the launch of PC and 1 year after starting my own site. Looks to me that i stopped being truly active around 2009. It's changed drastically, but I'm so happy it's still around. I know I'm not responding to the original question being asked here, but I just wanted to hop in and say thank you to all of y'all who helped make this place what it is. I was just a smol bean back then, and this legit was a huge part of my childhood. So many people have disappeared, but jKaizer, Pokejungle (Paul), PPNSteve, and I'm sure there's more, if y'all see this, thanks for all the help you provided over those years.

Wish we could go back to when this all started. Was such a nice, innocent, time.

Years
  • my only big qualm is that pc back then was far more daring with its april fools events than present day pc, if only because we've become paralysed to the whole "make this a toggle i cant stand this joke!!!!" feedback.

be the change you want to see!

Years
    • Seen today
    Oh man, this thread brings me back so many memories. Technically this is account number two for me for specific reasons, and I had over 20K posts but I did things and had stuff removed for reasons I won't dig into.

The things I do remember though? Oh man, emblems were always fun, especially in the request thread. There were a lot of really silly and fun ones and some really obscure and niche ones. Tons of fun there. There was also the staffmebaby page that showed your username in the different staff ranks available at that time.

When I first joined PC it was literally for ROM hacking, but it kinda grew off of me because I was getting quite bored with it and wanted to do things that were far beyond the scope of what was capable at the time and I slowly started looking at coding and game dev, which has pushed me to where I am in life right now, that of which I'm honestly really happy and thankful for. It's moved me along more into the tech industry, of course moderating the I&T section after Zach and I submitted a proposal to revamp the section and give it some new life. In fact, I think the CSS for the rules section there was what I put together initially still. Looks like it's aged well ahahaha.

I also remember the wandering thread and the old DCCs how those would get SO INCREDIBLY LONG that they'd start to mess things up when trying to post so new DCCs were constantly having to be remade every few weeks to a month because they'd be over 100 pages long. All the double posts just because of the site getting so laggy... And it happened to everyone.

Looking back in the pages I absolutely remember the Serebii style for April Fools, that was a lot of fun. There were a lot of really fun April Fools jokes. And then getting to be in on them when I was on staff was so much fun honestly. Speaking of, I still have the screenshot from when I was about to be asked about joining the team here. I'll let that screenshot speak for itself:

Spoiler:

Also does anyone here even remember when there used to be a dedicated mobile site for PC that pretty much nobody ever used because of how much functionality it stripped out?

Oh and this iconic image:

Last edited:

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Ah this thread's making me relive this forum properly. It's a bit crazy to think I joined Pokecommunity back in the 6th grade when I was 12 years old. I just turned 27 now. I used to be insanely active till around middle of college, when real life took over. I haven't been around much at all these last few years. I'll pop by at least once a year, mostly to see how the place is holding up.

Let's start w/ what life was like back in the early years of my time here, during middle school and college. I, I'll admit, wasn't exactly huge on Pokemon itself. I love the game (and still do, currently waiting on a trade request haha). But my domain, so to speak, was always this specific forum, Off-Topic. I guess to me, Pokecommunity served as an alternate for Facebook, a social media platform where I could create my online persona (I didn't have 'real' social media till around college). The people here were amazing. The whole forum was full of personalities. Names that I can think of off the top of my head are Razor Leaf, Livewire, Morkula, Chase/Castform, Fairy, Went, Forever, Sydian, Sheep, Kanzler, El Heroe Oscuro, Klippy, Ace and so so so so many more. OT felt like a literaly beehive, full of activity and people just conversing and having a great time.

Speaking of Off-Topic, one thing that was different was this subforum's name. It went through a ton of changes, such as Other Chat, Chit Chat Café (this was the best one and anyone who says otherwise doesn't like fun and is wrong, sorry not sorry), and probably a ton others that I can't remember. In all seriousness, I really did prefer the funnier names, since that was sort of the point of the subforum, a place to just chill out. I guess that's probably the first big negative I have to say about how PC, or at least this subsection, is currently. It feels too... sterile. I'm probably speaking out of place, since I really am not active. But just a cursory glance gives me a very cookie cutter appearance to the site. Sort of like a hospital. It just feels too proper. Perhaps that's unfair, since the activity on Pokecommunity as a whole has taken a hit. Forums just aren't what they once were. But I'm just speaking what crosses my mind currently.

Other notable stuff? PC's Prettiest Profile Contest was a personal favorite of mine. The idea itself wasn't mine, but I really liked the first iteration and pushed to have to be a reoccurring event. PPPC really captured the forum feel in terms of being a contest, honestly. There was also Member of the Year. Back then, I thought it was the coolest thing ever... but yeah I guess you grow wiser with age. Popularity contests never really achieve anything. I'm assuming we got rid of those a while ago.

There's plenty that people have mentioned already, such as emblems. And community day as well, no clue if we still do that. And the April Fools day pranks! Todoroki was probably my favorite. And there's the Slowpoke one. Is there a museum of sorts this forum has, cause I'd love to be able to relive moments like that. Honestly, this forum was such a huge part of my childhood, and just thinking about Pokecommunity for more than a second makes me really nostalgic. I made so many friends here, before I had friends in real life, and it sorta sucks that the nature of the internet/forums made it so that we all got... distant.

There's a lot of people out there I wish I could say hi to one more time, but if I had to pick one, that would be Geoff/Morkula. Geoff, thanks for being a friend to me and always having my back. Sorry I let you down w/ getting rehired on staff all those years back, I know you really went to bat for me and I messed up. I'm doing good in life, better than I'd anticipated. I hope you're doing good too. And the same goes for anyone who read this far. :)

-Dipu/Honest/Dakota/Vertigo/Bloodex/Bloodex-fire (lmao the last two are SERIOUS throwbacks and are giving me insane middle school vibes. Brb while I put Misery Business by Paramore on blast)

Back