• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Games you won't/can't play

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Are there any Pokemon games you simply refuse to play or just can't play, for whatever reason? Examples: you don't own the system it's on, it's extremely hard to find, etcetera.

There aren't too many Pokemon games I outright would refuse to play, but there is a few I won't.

I obviously will not play those Sega Pico Pokemon games because I one 1.) do not understand kanji enough and 2.) I do not feel like buying a Sega Pico. I want to learn how to read Japanese, but I do not feel like buying an ancient, hard to find console just to do it. Also won't play those Pokemon CD games like Masters Arena because those games are cheap and lazy, anyway.

Also, probably the Hey You, Pikachu! games. I'm too old for Hey You, Pikachu to work for me since I don't have a "kid" voice anymore, obviously, at the age of 24. I hear if you don't have a kid voice, Pikachu literally will not respond to you.

Pokemon Channel, too. I mean, I can't, anyway, don't have a Game Cube controller. Even if I did, I wouldn't, anyway, to be honest. That game is completely in full real time. I do not have the patience for something like that.

& Any Pokemon games that were never localized because I can't be bothered. Especially the Japanese ones with no voice acting. I can only understand Japanese about 40% of the time when spoken. I sadly cannot read Japanese, though, and I honestly feel like you need to be able to read to enjoy Pokemon games.

Luckily, there aren't that many that weren't brought over to the states, though.

There's also a whole ton of Pokemon games I can't play, but most certain wouldn't ever if I could. Those are:

All the Pokemon Game Cube games. (Which isn't a lot.) I do not have a Game Cube controller. I have a Wii, though, but not a controller for the Game Cube, so I don't think it'd work well with the Game Cube games. I'm hoping games like Collo and XD just get ported to the Switch, so I can experience them that way.

I can't play Pokemon Typing Adventure because my ds's battery is currently not as good as it used to be. Otherwise I probably could and would buy it. Fun fact btw, this is the only English Pokemon game that was localized to Europe but not America. Weird, right?

And there are a lot of Pokemon E-shop games I will eventually not be able to play if the 3ds e-shop store closes. But, I'm going to just.... buy them before the shop dies, if I can in time.

Obviously can't play any of the Wii Ware games anymore. And I'm not modifying my Wii to purchase them. Well, I guess there weren't that many, anyway.

Other than that, there aren't that many others for me I either can't/won't play. I'm the type of person who only plays Pokemon games on physical hard ware and would never use an emulator unless for you know romhacks, so to anyone saying "you can! Just use an emulator!" I won't.

Years
    • Seen today
    I'm not much into the mobile side of things.

I played pokemon go occasionally with my sister, but that's the most experience I've had with the pokemon app store games.

Years
    I used Pokemon Go for acquiring 3 Melmetals and then never touched it again.
    The gameplay just isn't for me. If it wasn't the only way to get Meltan/Melmetal at the time I did it (dunno if it still is), I would've never even bothered with it.

As for can't play: Platinum. Missed it when it was new. Is too ridiculously expensive nowadays.

Years
    • Online now
    Other than the big majority of spin-offs, I have no interest in playing the Let's Go games, so I guess I never will. Not a fan of the Pikachu/Eevee pandering and the changes they made to gameplay, and I also find a game with only Kanto Pokémon extremely restrictive and hilarious in this age. If I want to revisit Kanto there are several fan games & rom hacks offering a way better experience. Only good thing about LGPE are the graphics.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    besides the stuff I don't have the means to play it'd be things like:

-Main games before Crystal. I'm old, so I grew up with Gen 1, but honestly those things are outdated in a way that I'm not really into going back to them. Gen 2 I'm still willing to go back to (and did when Crystal had its VC re-release) but it's like why play Gold/Silver when you have the objectively better Crystal to play?

-Pokemon GO. Not really an outdoorsy kind of person, and there's probably limits to what I could do anyway.

-Pokemon Masters. I have considered getting into it and Genshit, but then I'm like "but do I really want to get into more than one gacha game?". Not out of fear that I'd end up spending lots of money, I know I can control myself on that front. It's just more do I want to play and support more games of that format and I kinda....don't.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Not a fan of ranger series sadly because just mindlessly circling to stop a pokemon and got hand cramp from overdoing it too much; Any pokemon games that invovles mircotransction I really hate pay-to-win factor in every game I played that is needing money if pokemon masters and now unite seems just pay-to-win here and there isn't any balance at all, also masters is like a gacha game in pokemon in sheeps clothing not a huge fan of it

I tried conquest and not my cup of tea

I actually don't know if there are any I outright refuse to play, but Ranger definitely holds the least of my interest and I'm not sure when/if I'll ever actually try it. Can totally see what others are saying about gen I being old and buggy/clunky to play but it's something I still love going back to and would probably choose to play that over one of the Ranger games. Maybe I'll be more interested in trying it sometime, but today is not that time.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I actually don't know if there are any I outright refuse to play, but Ranger definitely holds the least of my interest and I'm not sure when/if I'll ever actually try it. Can totally see what others are saying about gen I being old and buggy/clunky to play but it's something I still love going back to and would probably choose to play that over one of the Ranger games. Maybe I'll be more interested in trying it sometime, but today is not that time.

Yeah, Ranger is... I'd never replay those again. They're very frustrating games and you'll ruin your ds touch screen. They're excellent games, but I can see why most people are hesitant to. I feel like a Switch version wouldn't be much better because I'm willing to bet we'd have to use joycons instead of the touch screen or something.

Years
    i m kinda up to everything. I haven't played ORAS and sun moon cuz i didn't find em interesting enough. I won't play BD/SP because I don't like the project itself

KOZSTAR

Diabolical
    Years
    I cannot mince words, ORAS were most likely the most disappointing mainlined games I played. It just felt like something was missing... A lot. As well, it has the notorious simplicity of sixth generation. However, I couldn't complain about X/Y the same way because those are great for challenge runs, namely of Wonderlocke and Monotype.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    I can't imagine being able to play Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee. Not only are they incredibly overpriced for what they are, but limiting the game to only Generation I Pokemon is a big no-no for me. A number of Gen I Pokemon have been so overexposed that I sadly feel an aversion when I see them nowadays.

It's bad enough playing Sword/Shield where so many Pokemon I love are missing. Going to a game where no Pokemon I love past Gen I is there would be horrible.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
    Dash is a game I played and would never go back to lol.

Picross too tbh but that's less of a terrible game and instead just not for me.

Atm there's some games I can't play for lack of access such as Typing adventure, Mystery dugeon Wii games, all the Pokemon mini games but I'll likely eventually emulate these and play them in the future when I can!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I don't like the Pokemon Mystery Dungeons games and will never play them again. I played the first one, but it was just so underwhelming for me. There was no way I could play it a second time.

Pokemon Ranger - Much like MD, I played the first Ranger game and I don't know if I ever actually finished it. I just raged quit so much, especially on the legendary captures. It was just so freaking annoying to do. I think the last pokemon I captures was Salamence and by the time I finished it, if ever, I was ready to give up the game.

Pokemon Conquest - I don't like grid based games. It is a big reason I don't play something like Fire Emblem. I tried it.... did like one battle and stopped playing.

Pokemon Quest - just didn't like the concept and never played it because it never peaked my interest,

Let's Go - I didn't like the game idea from the start and I still bought it. Then I just sold it a few months ago. The main reason I got it was for Meltan and Melmetal which I no longer need that game for. I tried to replay it, but I just hated the capture and it just made the game annoying. I wish they had just used Yellow as well, instead of new trainers. It just didn't make sense. Why are we fighting Team Rocket again when Blue, Red AND Green are in it? I will be honest, I am glad Green was in it, but I wish she had shown up in a better fashion.

Dash is something I never tried, but didn't seem interested in. Mostly almost every single spin off, I just didn't care for. The ones I did like were Stadiums and Revolution. Detective Pikachu and the Shadow Pokemon Games. But I don't know if I could even play Pokemon Stadium or anything anymore. I know when I tried Revolution, I just got bored out of my mind and stopped playing after an hour or so.

Last edited:

synrec

Programmer
    Years
    Pokemon Stadium and any other non-rpg pokemon game like pinball and whatever other spin off.

All those crappy unofficial micro-transaction pokemon games for android. Played one, quit in 5 minss after being so confused and auto-pathed everywhere.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    As for genuinely can't, physical copies of the game boy generations.

As for can't but want them, the Whites. Specifically, White 2, because I just need that challenge mode… sure I can do this with an emulator, but still…

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    there's probably a slew of games i can't play so lol i don't even want to think about that. as for what i won't play, probably won't play let's go pikachu. i actually really like let's go and i have the eevee version, but i don't like pikachu enough to go on a journey with it lmfao...i tolerated it in yellow, but your partner pokemon is such a core aspect in let's go and i just ehhhh no thanks.

ayyy post 33,333

Years
    let's go

i see the appeal behind let's go (sort of), but i skipped over buying it because i feel like the whole GO catching mechanic just won't vibe with me. i dropped off playing pokemon go years ago, and i knew from the moment this game was revealed that it wasn't going to be for me.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I haven't really done side games all that much and really only stuck to the main games. I started to get into Mobile games when GO came out. I played Rumble, Cafe (now Remix) and a few others. I always try to at least try new games that come out just to see if I'll like it or not.

I don't really care for Unite and only played for maybe a week if that.

Years
    Any mirrored game. Like Shield for Sword or Pearl for Diamond, etc. I mean, that's just greedy from Nintendo. God...I wish I didn't love Pokemon.

Back