• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon that evolve too early/too late.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Are there any Pokemon that you think evolve out of place?

Zweilous is the worst offender. I grinded this all the way to a Hydreigon. It's cool for the novelty but not worth it at all. There is no reason that this couldn't have been a level 55 evoultion like the other pseudos.

Years
    it's kinda hard to think of a pokemon that evolves too early, as that would cover most bug types i think? and evolving early isn't even exclusive to them!

as for lateness, you've already covered hydreigon, so i'm going to mention pupitar - > tyranitar. there's something about pupitar that makes it feel very kakuna/metapodish (which is intentional, ofc) and sticking with it for 25 levels seems like a pain. i'd rather it go the garchomp route and shave off some levels because mid-50s is just... rough to have a pupitar all the way to. u_u

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Too late: Mienfoo (50), Rufflet (54), Vullaby (54), Trapinch (35 for Vibrava), Deino (50 for Zweilous, as mentioned), Crabrawler (original Sun/Moon only), Duskull (37), and Rhyhorn (42).

Too early: Makuhita (24) and Lickitung (Learns Rollout at level 6)

Years
    You can get all the eeveelutions evolved at low levels:
    -Stone evolutions can evolve at level 1.
    -Friendship evolutions if you camp and have a Soothe Bell can evolve at level 5. Including Sylveon if you have a fairy TM it can learn.
    Not that I mind having fully evolved eeveelutions at those levels, but it does feel a bit on the low side xD

Stone & Friendship evolutions in general have this 'issue'.

As for evolving too late... the ones that immediately came to mind have all been mentioned already xD
    I think most mons that are two-stage and don't evolve until late level 30's evolve too late, such as:
    -Slowbro... stuck until level 37 with a Slowpoke unless you go for Slowking.
    -Medicham. I had a Meditite on my team in BDSP for so long since the dang thing doesn't evolve till level 37 as well.
    -Rapidash at Level 40... Ponyta is cute, but just too weak to evolve so late.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Zweilous is the worst offender. I grinded this all the way to a Hydreigon. It's cool for the novelty but not worth it at all. There is no reason that this couldn't have been a level 55 evoultion like the other pseudos.

Laughs in Dreepy.

Zweilous / Deino at least have decent movepools.

Dreepy evolves at level 50 and only gets 4 moves via level up: Astonsh, Infestation, Quick Attack and Bite.
    It can get Snore, Facade, Swift and Round via TM, Draco Meteor via Move Tutor and Dragon Tail + Sucker Punch via Breeding Moves.

Oh, and did I mention that Dreepy has the lowest base Def, SpD of all Dragon and Ghost type Pokémon?
    And also the lowest HP stat of all Dragons.

Basically, you're force feeding shovel fulls of Exp Candies to this thing because nobody can grind it to level 50 the "legit" way.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Laughs in Dreepy.

Zweilous / Deino at least have decent movepools.

Dreepy evolves at level 50 and only gets 4 moves via level up: Astonsh, Infestation, Quick Attack and Bite.
    It can get Snore, Facade, Swift and Round via TM, Draco Meteor via Move Tutor and Dragon Tail + Sucker Punch via Breeding Moves.

Oh, and did I mention that Dreepy has the lowest base Def, SpD of all Dragon and Ghost type Pokémon?
    And also the lowest HP stat of all Dragons.

Basically, you're force feeding shovel fulls of Exp Candies to this thing because nobody can grind it to level 50 the "legit" way.

Dreepy came around in the era of full team EXP share. You never actually have to touch it to get the full evolution.

It also seems pretty feasible to reach the level 60's in the main story of Sword and Shield. In Generation 5, no grinding and fighting every trainer seems to put you around the early level 50's.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Dreepy came around in the era of full team EXP share. You never actually have to touch it to get the full evolution.

It also seems pretty feasible to reach the level 60's in the main story of Sword and Shield. In Generation 5, no grinding and fighting every trainer seems to put you around the early level 50's.

By that logic, you can just slap a Exp Share on Deino and never touch it either. You can get one as soon as you reach Castelia. You can even get a second one when you reach Icirrus.

And perhaps more importantly, the main story won't help you if you trying to get a competitive Dragapult / Masuda breeding a shiny Dragapult. You'll need to breed one and get it all the way from Level 1 to Level 50 before it can be somewhat useful in a battle.

Deino can at least start dealing some damage earlier than that.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I disagree about bugs. Bugs are said to mature quickly in Pokemon, which is why they evolve at such low levels.

Anyway, I think Lotad and Seedot evolve a little too early. 14? That feels incredibly low for Pokemon that then evolve with stones. I'd make them evolve at maybe ~18 or ~20 instead. Just in my opinion, that's way too early.

As for too late, a majority of Unova Pokemon. Also, Skrelp. I know it evolves into a Dragon type, but I feel like 48 is too late for an otherwise forgettable Kalos Pokemon that's a version exclusive anyway. For comparison, since Clauncher can be considered its counterpart, it evolves at level 37. So, I think they should both evolve at 37.

Some other examples.

I feel Ponyta evolving at 40 is... oddly late, too. I feel like 36 or 35 would be slightly better. I never understood why Ponyta evolves at the level fossil Pokemon do.

Other than that, I'm rather indifferent. For friendship evolutions and learn certain moves by level up, you can always just teach those moves later, and you know, not grind friendship to evolve a friendship Pokemon? There's plenty of solutions to counter "evolving too early".

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Magikarp evolves too early. Gyarados at level 20 is a total joke, and with modern Exp. Share it requires no effort at all, you don't even need to bother actually training the Magikarp.

Some are relative and depend on the region/context. Some Johto Pokémon have quite low evolution levels, like Houndour and Phanpy, and then there are the infamous Unova Pokémon that evolve at hilariously high levels. It all depends on the game's level curve and at what point in the game they become available.

I also believe that starters evolve too quick. You spend very little with them in their first stages unless you purposely delay their evolutions.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    By that logic, you can just slap a Exp Share on Deino and never touch it either. You can get one as soon as you reach Castelia. You can even get a second one when you reach Icirrus.

And perhaps more importantly, the main story won't help you if you trying to get a competitive Dragapult / Masuda breeding a shiny Dragapult. You'll need to breed one and get it all the way from Level 1 to Level 50 before it can be somewhat useful in a battle.

Deino can at least start dealing some damage earlier than that.

I thought about this for a bit, and I was wrong. You are correct.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I feel Ponyta evolving at 40 is... oddly late, too. I feel like 36 or 35 would be slightly better. I never understood why Ponyta evolves at the level fossil Pokemon do.

That's likely because Ponyta, in terms of stats, has a strength equivalent to that of many second stage evolutions such as Bibarel, Raticate, Machoke, Pupitar, and all the mid-stage starters.

UnvoicedUnveiled

Unvoiced Unveiled
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2022
    Rufflet and Vullaby! They both evolve at 54 which is ridiculous. Neither are very strong so why evolve so late? If they want a late evolution that makes sense then they could have gone with level 38 or 42, both are a lot more reasonable.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Evee. Have a stone in hand? Yes you can evolve it EARLY if you wish and judging where evee is exposed surely doesn't take long also day and time will make evee evolve early if it happens to have high friendship in day or night.

Dragon-type. Need I say more just to evolve at 40+ and then 50+ or 60+ in most case, while the rest of my team already evolved and leans towards 50+

Most or SOME bug-types, they're evolve really soon.

Inkay, you can evolve early if you want too, just by rotating your 3DS or Switch. There's list goes on for early and late evolution

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    oh right, needing level 30.. ah forget about that

Back