• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon you'd use now that you wouldn't before

Dramon Knight

Anti-Social Membrane
Years
  • Are you finding yourself wanting to raise some Pokemon that you maybe wouldn't in R/S/E? Now that most Pokemon have much larger movepools and some can Mega Evolve there are probably a few Pokes that have a better shot at being team members.

What are yours? I'm not sure at the moment, I just realised after using Rapidash in a game recently that it has a larger Physical movepool now so it's more usable. :P

AxeBeard McBeardAxe

Jarl of the PokeCommunity
    Years
  • One Pokemon comes to mind instantly: Sceptile. Well, I still would train it in R/S/E because I love it's design and the games aren't very difficult, so it wouldn't matter. But this mother****er has the most disgraceful movepool, I just can't even think about it without getting all upset. Now in ORAS that it's confirmed for an at least minor movepool update, and a mega, I'm hopeful that using sceptile will be an even more enjoyable experience.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Altaria. Though I did use one in one of my playthroughs of Ruby, I can't say I liked it's design or battle capabilities much. But now with ORAS, I really do wanna use one, since it gets a friggin' Dragon/Fairy Mega Evolution with Pixilate and Hyper Voice.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Absol, definitely Absol. Dark-type moves were Special back in Gen III then after they split in Gen IV, Absol actually became usable. I used one in my first playthrough of XY and it was really good, especially after I got its Mega Stone. I'll probably fit one in somewhere on my team, but I don't think I'll be using its Mega form, considering I'll have whichever starter I pick, and I'm definitely picking up an Altaria. This has definitely been the hardest team to plan for, and it doesn't help that we still don't know for sure if they're staying true to the RSE dex or if they're going to be adding more Pokémon. :(

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
  • I never would have touched a Mawile back in the day, but I plan on using one in Omega Ruby because of its Mega Evolution. I also used to not like Azumarill, but its new typing and attacks mean it's going on my Alpha Sapphire team.

Years
  • Azumarill, surely, as Harmonious Fusion mentioned. I've spoke several times about how Azumarill started off as trash and became total boss, so here it'll surely be worthwhile with the Fairy-typing and getting Aqua Tail rather early.

Aggron will definitely be more usable here, too, with Sturdy and good attacks like Iron Head and most likely Rock Slide. And its Mega Evolution if that stone is before post-game. Altaria I would say the same about but I used one in my main White 2...ah well, it's not something I wouldn't use if that Mega Stone was present.

Years
  • Sceptile. I never really liked its looks but when it's mega was revealed and the more I looked at both forms, the more I actually liked it. Can't wait to get a 4x weakness to ice though ;_;

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Hmm well generally I like using pokemon I haven't used before, so Ludicolo and Gardevoir fit the bill.....I wasn't hugely interested in them when I first played the 3rd gen games.

As for a pokemon I actually tried to use, Ninjask. I just couldn't make him work back in the original games but I'm curious how he would fare now. Also Tropius and Camerupt are two pokemon I had mixed results with back in the day.

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2015
    Well I have been considering using a baton passer in a in-game team for a while so why not use Ninjask this time, I can just rotate him in my team specifically if the XY exp share is the same on ORAS

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I've got two full teams of 6 Hoenn Pokémon planned for both Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire! Definitely feel more motivated to use Hoenn Pokemon in other games in the mean time.

Years
  • Most of my planned team lineup is built around Pokémon I may not have used before:

- Banette and Walrein always seemed like good ideas, but by the time they became available I always usually pretty set on what I had - GTS/Bank makes this a nonissue.
    - I was a fan of Altaria by design, but she didn't seem worth the investment before... she kinda got saved by a Mega Evo.
    - I get a kick out of Ludicolo, but his abilities have always been rain-dependent, and I generally don't like bothering with Weather conditions. Having a non-rain Hidden Ability gives him that extra little push to end up on the roster.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I'm trying to think of one.. Maybe Roserade. Roselia was not worth using in RSE. It's the only one that I haven't used that I would be interested in using from this list http://www.serebii.net/pokemon_advance/numbers.shtml

I've already trained Pokemon mentioned in this thread (Sceptile, Altaria, Banette, Azumarill, Gardevoir, Absol, Mawile, Tropius) in their original generations and in recent ones.

I've used Walrein, Camerupt, Ninjask, and Aggron in RSE. I sure did replay RSE dozens of times haha. I've never used Ludicolo before in a team, but I'm not interested in it. I'm also not interested in Exploud, Medicham, Hariyama, Volbeat/Illumise, Minun/Plusle, Torkoal, Spinda, Whiscash, Claydol, Fossils, Relicanth, Luvdisc, and Probopass.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • One Pokemon comes to mind instantly: Sceptile. Well, I still would train it in R/S/E because I love it's design and the games aren't very difficult, so it wouldn't matter. But this mother****er has the most disgraceful movepool, I just can't even think about it without getting all upset. Now in ORAS that it's confirmed for an at least minor movepool update, and a mega, I'm hopeful that using sceptile will be an even more enjoyable experience.
    If Sceptile's movepool is disgraceful I fear what term one will use for Serperior's xD (Sceptile does have a small movepool).

I've trained Altarias, but usually only up to a certain level until I get bored. This time I think I'll train one longer.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I never bothered with Ralts, but now that we will have the option to use Gallade and Mega Gardevoir in Hoenn I'm definitely going to be catching one of them :) Also definitely Pinsir and Mawile, since their Mega Evolutions are total bosses. Maybe Sableye as well, not because of its Mega but because of its hidden ability, Prankster. It might be fun to try that out ingame sometime.

Also, Altaria isn't a Pokemon that I wouldn't consider using before RSE (I have used it before) but its new adorable Mega just forces its way onto my teams :') I might use it even more now.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Rapidash rocks! :D I love how her movepool has improved, too.

Gardevoir and Banette are two pokemon I kinda-liked before hand which I'm considering more now because of their mega evolutions. I'm not sure if I'll use either of them though. Ironically, Linoone is a pokemon I really like but am less interested in using now, as Extreme Speed is Extremely hard to obtain.

oshimas

소중한 이 내 맘 모두 나 그대에게
    Years
  • i've trained an altaria on my white 2 and i've been anxious to use one in my playthrough since it got announced a mega evolution. and i've used mega-gardevoir in battle and i like it's style so maybe i'll end up using one in my playthrough. probably i might wanna use a ludicolo since i haven't really used it or it's pre-evolutions.

Years
  • I'm sorta on the same boat as Altairis with the Ralts line. I found them hard to train in the originals but now I actually want to use it this time around. Another notable mention is Altaria, because it now gets a Mega that seems like it'll be fun to use.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    For me it's not as much movepool as it is just how it looks. Back in R/S/E I was probably 3434390x harsher on the design than now, whereas now I'm open to trying Pokemon even if they look ugly/stupid.

Shroomish/Breloom come to my mind first. Back then I found Shroomish to be the ugliest thing ever so never bothered. Later on I came to find out what a great Pokemon it evolves into it so I'm open to trying it this time around if I don't go with Treecko for the starter.

Whismur/Loudred/Expoloud I found Whismur to be adorable, but couldn't come around to its evolutions. I still find them extremely ugly, but if I end up looking for a normal type this gen I would consider.

Spoink/Grumpig Once again I found Spoink to be cute, but Grumpig is just so ugly. It still is and I still don't find anything too majestic about a psychic pig, but I have yet to use them so I'd like to try them out.

Mawile I loved Mawile even then, but found it to be unusable for the most part. I haven't tried it with its mega yet, but I've only heard good things so I really want to!!

Years
  • Now that I think about it some more, Mega Mawile is something I use (even though I think it has no reason to be banned imo) because it looks cool, and makes Mawile a lot better than it's regular state.

Back