• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question of the Day

Years
    What's an item you rely heavily on in-game?

Fishing Rod.

Just kidding :) Bicycle as well. For hatching eggs and just enjoying the smooth controls of the analog stick.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
    What Pokemon game were you most excited for when it was first announced?

Diamond and Pearl. It really pulled me back into the flow of things. I was in my senior year of high school, already accepted and prepared to go to college, and Pokemon at that time sort of took a backseat as nothing more than a childhood memory.

Instead, they led me to a second "golden age" (since RBY) and the franchise.

And I still remember how surprised I was back then when so many of my classmates were equally excited (some of them even brought their DS systems to school upon release as if we were back in our elementary school days!). The football guys, the people primed to go to medical school... people you assume who wouldn't be into it or wouldn't have time for it. Way more people were unexpected fans, which really caught me off guard.

Last edited:

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017

In ORAS, I rely on the Eon flute to get around. Prior to that, I would say the bicycle was most important to my journey.

Years
    Gonna jump onto the bandwagon and say bicycle for Gen 6. It's a huge necessity when breeding for competitive. I'm reliant on different items in different games though.

For example, I use the VS. Seeker a lot in FR/LG due to my team almost constantly underleveled. Repels for RSE because, water routes :P The Town map comes in very handy when playing Y; Kalos is very confusing to navigate for me.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    The Bicycle is quite useful for all of us~ And I have to agree on Max Revives too, they really come in handy when you challenge the E4 for the first time!

What Pokemon game were you most excited for when it was first announced?

Diamond and Pearl. It really pulled me back into the flow of things. I was in my senior year of high school, already accepted and prepared to go to college, and Pokemon at that time sort of took a backseat as nothing more than a childhood memory.

Instead, they led me to a second "golden age" (since RBY) and the franchise.

And I still remember how surprised I was back then when so many of my classmates were equally excited (some of them even brought their DS systems to school upon release as if we were back in our elementary school days!). The football guys, the people primed to go to medical school... people you assume who wouldn't be into it or wouldn't have time for it. Way more people were unexpected fans, which really caught me off guard.

That's so awesome! Just goes to show how Pokemon is universal. And it never gets old!

Today's question is kind of a simple one, but I think it's a good one because it's the classic "Low risk, medium return" vs "High risk, high return" argument :)

Question of the Day

Fire Blast or Flamethrower?​

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Fire Blast or Flamethrower?
    I say Flamethrower it have decent raw power, accuracy an PP just like Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. I never fond of move with low accuracy despite having high damage, it always miss very often. You would just go with Overheat instead of Fire Blast.

pkmin3033

Flamethrower. I don't like moves that aren't 100% accurate. The extra power isn't worth the potential miss, the lack of PP is off-putting, and...eh, Flamethrower gets the job done.

Years

Like Meloetta, I don't like relying on moves that have a high chance of missing, and Flamethrower is a decent enough base power anyway.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Question of the Day

Fire Blast or Flamethrower?​

I want to play it safe, I'm picking Flamethrower. Not to mention it has a stable BP as Nichole said. That loose accuracy can decide a win/lose, so if I'm aiming to win I'll obviously pick Flamethrower.

Situations I'll pick Fire Blast:
    1) Having a match for pure fun.
    2) If you're comparing Fire Blast to Ember! {XD}

I'm personally interested on the Overheat vs Fire Blast topic.
    They are both strong moves, Overheat has the recoil of harshly cutting S. A and it has 90 Accuracy. While Fire Blast doesn't have a recoil and has 10% chance to inflict burn, it has a lower Accuracy and a lower Base Power.

Years
    I'm personally interested on the Overheat vs Fire Blast topic.
    They are both strong moves, Overheat has the recoil of harshly cutting S. A and it has 90 Accuracy. While Fire Blast doesn't have a recoil and has 10% chance to inflict burn, it has a lower Accuracy and a lower Base Power.

The accuracy difference isn't great, but the fact you lose 2 stages of Sp. Atk after using Overheat means it isn't as appealing if you're not running a White Herb. Both are around the same power so it is debatable since nearly all Fire-types can use both moves. It mainly comes down to if you want more accuracy or in competitive, if you want to use a White Herb or something else.

Tamashi_Seishiro

Badoop Badoop Banana Bus!
    Years

Flamethrower. Fire Blast is a risker. Fire Blast would be good for the finishing attack. But I chose Flamethrower. It has high PP and rarely misses. Unlike Fire Blast which has a chance of missing because it's accuracy is 85%

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In-game, it's Flamethrower, as NPCs don't require much powerful attacks to take down. Competitively, it's definitely Fire Blast; although it might have slightly lower accuracy, it's still worth the risk.

Years
    Anywhere but competitive battling, Flamethrower. For me, it's always looked nicer and the improved accuracy is helpful. It does enough to heavily hinder NPCs so I would normally take that over Fire Blast which can miss frequently. Missing whilst battling NPCs can be annoying and sometimes game changing. With competitive battling, you want to hit as hard as you can. Fire Blast does more damage than Flamethrower but you have to take that risk (missing). Everyone uses those sort of attacks in competitive so you both miss from time to time and it's not always game changing.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016

Flamethrower, that 85 accuracy for Fire Blast seems more like 50 to me.

Reactions: Sun

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017

Flamethrower, for sure. I don't play competitively so it's convenient for me to use flame thrower. On the few times I did use FireBlast, I've always been kind of lucky with accuracy, but I like that 100% ;).

Years

Flamethrower, mainly because it's more consistent with damage output. You might have days where you're so lucky that you're landing every low-accuracy move you throw at opponents, but they still lose out in terms of longevity; for example, Fire Blast has a PP of 5 and max of 8, and Flamethrower has 15 and can be extended all the way to 24.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023

Flamethrower, mainly because it's more consistent with damage output. You might have days where you're so lucky that you're landing every low-accuracy move you throw at opponents, but they still lose out in terms of longevity; for example, Fire Blast has a PP of 5 and max of 8, and Flamethrower has 15 and can be extended all the way to 24.

This. Flamethrower's higher accuracy and higher PP total makes it win out for me. I know on net that Fire Blast should be the better way to go (given the 85% accuracy and higher power, I think it's net expected damage output is higher), but I don't like leaving things up to chance. It may have been some of the chance-ridden rental battles in Stadium that did it for me, but I turned away from the high-power, lower-accuracy attacks in favor of sure things years ago. (I might make the occasional exception for competitive use, but very rarely.)

Flamethrower is also a lot more useful in-game, because it lasts longer. And that matters to me.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I'm a little more in line with Ashley on this one: in-game, Flamethrower, because when going through the game it works out much better for me to have a reliable source of damage. Not to mention, PP is a big factor in-game. Competitively, it depends on the Pokemon's stats, but I'll normally lean towards Fire Blast, since I like to get as much damage as possible out at once.

Question of the Day

What's the first event Pokemon you've ever gotten?​

pkmin3033

What's the first event Pokemon you've ever gotten?

I think it was Darkrai, although I couldn't tell you which one. There was a huge event for it down at my then-local GAME and I queued up for, like, an hour just to get into the store to get it. There were event battles and everything, haha. I remember being so excited, because every event that had happened before that had been too far away for me to get to.

Back