• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rare Candies!

Years
  • Rare Candies are the glorious item that gives your Pokémon a free level-up with no drawbacks whatsoever when you use it on them. Do you tend to use these items often, or at all? If not, why? If so, when is the most common time you find yourself using them?

Usually, most people will tell you that the best time to use Rare Candies are at the very end of the game before you enter the Elite Four, since that's when training gets arduous for most people. You generally don't want to waste them early in the game when leveling up is often bearable. That's what I think is best, especially if you're doing a Nuzlocke or Wedlocke. Sometimes i'll use them if I get really impatient on something to evolve.

How about you? Are you someone who likes to use their Rare Candies? Also, do you have any ways of obtaining Rare Candies that you find particularly more enjoyable than others? Discuss.

Years
  • I actually almost never use them. I either forget I have them completely or never pick them up. The only times I really use them are to evolve a Pokemon I don't feel like training 1 or 2 levels haha.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • I mostly use rare candies when my pokémon are more leveled-up , when it's hard to level up and sometimes when I don't have patience to train and I'm like " I don't care *uses a rare candy in a pokémon* "

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • I always use them after i collect all the badges to maintain my Pokemon level Balance and if i don't want to use them(Rarely) i would sell them as it is worth a cash too.

Years
  • I don't use Rare Candies all that much, since I want to conserve them when possible and only use it if I need to get something up to the next level fast.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I don't like to use them, I just put them in my bag and collect them. I've only used them once to raise my Crobat from lv95 to 100, because I thought another Pokémon holding an experience share would get the full experience because Crobat couldn't get any. I found out soon enough I was wrong.

Years
  • I pick them up, and then I....er...forget about them like I do most items. :D And when I do remember them, I figure I might want to save them for a "better" time to use them.

Which pretty much amounts to the same thing: no I don't use them at all, normally.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I used to be obsessed with getting rare candies, because I thought they were basically a shortcut to ultra-powered Pokémon. Of course, now that I know about EVs and such I tend to stay away from them and leave them to rot in my bag (like the X- items). Now I usually use them for situations where I don't feel like waiting for a level up or I need a specific level up, like when I want to evolve Eevee in Leafeon/Glaceon or I want to skip right to an evolution by level.

Lunarose

replaced by lies
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2020
    I used them occasionally. When I was a noob, I used to spam them on my favorite Pokemon.... I overused AR after I defeated the game lmao. But it was mostly just leveling up my level 70 Pokemon to 100.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I used to horde them all and then use them on my team right before facing the elite four. I don't know I just stopped using them? I guess it's because overtime I became a better trainer and realized I didn't really need them. Still they are really useful if you're towards the end of the game and you just need to get one of your pokemon up a few levels to evolve or learn a move you've been waiting for.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I made good use of them in gen 1, mainly because of that duplication glitch. Even in newer games, I found some good use for them, when I was still playing X, where there were no Blissey bases around. That way I didn't need to waste my time going through one of the restaurants once more, just to get a Pokemon up two levels.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • I used to be the biggest cheater with those lol

Anyway, now...I use them right before defeating the Elite Four. I dont use them in one Pokemon tho, only 1 each.

Years
  • I use them to level Pokemon up when they evolve at a certain time of day or location or just when I can't be bothered to grind with Pokemon that level up slow.

Years
  • I use them on story Pokemon that I plan to box afterwards since their IVs/EVs are already bad but otherwise, nope, Rare Candies will end up gathering dust in my bag. I remember how excited I used to get over finding them in G/S/C! Ahh, good days.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • I reserve Rare Candies pretty much exclusively for when a Pokemon is just ONE level off from a move I really want them to have or evolving, and usually only if they're over Lv.30 at that point. Otherwise, the candies just kind of sit in my bag forever.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I mainly use Rare Candies for IV checks and at rare times when I'm lazy to level up my Pokémon.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Back when I was younger, I would always use them right away. Now that I'm a bit less lazy, and leveling up is so much easier in recent games, I tend to save them for a time that I really need them. They do come in handy later in the game during my usual grinding marathon before challenging the Elite 4.

(also, they're absolutely essential in HG/SS, because the level curve is so steep in that game)

Last edited:

GengyGengar

Sp00py
    Years
  • Quite often, I save all Rare Candies I find until the Elite Four, and then sell them to get more items like Hyper Potions and Revives (unless I'm Locke-ing) because, by the time I get around to selling them, I've probably done all the grinding I need to. Plus, they sell for a lot of money each. I used to use them immediately, but I really just don't anymore~

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I use rare candy to level up a pokemon that is nearly evolving or have matched criteria and waiting for it evolve. I never make such waste because they are scatter everywhere and providing a specialness of it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I used to utilize Rare Candies a lot when I was younger, as I was sort of lazy on training my Pokémon. Whenever I'd get my hands on one, I would instantly use it on a party member. Nowadays, though, I, somehow, wind up ignoring them, and train my team the way they're supposed to be trained--by battling and gaining experience. I feel it's more rewarding this way.

Back