• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Rumors You Fell For

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
What are some generation I playground rumors you fell for back in the day? I hear the Mew under the truck rumor was very big back in the late 90s...

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
This rumor that Charizard had a secret evolution, I don't recall much but that rumor was really popular with the kids I used to play Pokemon with.

Sirfetch’d

Pressing A repeatedly helped catch things.

....I still do this to this day

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
not a common rumor that i'm aware of, but i played RBY kind of late. like i had yellow when it was new, but lost it before making real progress. i didn't play red until 2004. so lmfao we're out by the lake one day and i'm playing red instead of swimming and my cousin insists to me that mewtwo roamed around pokemon mansion. so i'm in there. freaking the FUCK out thinking each random encounter might possibly be mewtwo or that i would see him just like. rounding the corner in the mansion.

also uhhh i'm embarrassed to say this one bc it's recent but in like 2014-ish? i believe that dead hand thing. and i had to get my friend to check ALL of his RBY carts before i would touch the game ever again. he kept sending me pics like "al. it's not here. i PROMISE you it's not here." fldsjafklsdjflds

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
The supposed B-button trick that would make catching Pokemon easier. I know it doesn't work, but I still do it sometimes out of habit. :p

Last edited:
Years
I was too young to play Red in it's glory days but when I started playing my brother would often tell me to hold down b and a to instantly catch Pokémon.
Years later I still do not forgive him for this.

Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2024
What are some generation I playground rumors you fell for back in the day? I hear the Mew under the truck rumor was very big back in the late 90s...

Yes, that was a rumor. I don't really remember if I fell for it in the sense that I tried it, but I saw people doing it and until it was revealed to be bogus, I did believe in it.

The supposed B-button trick that would make catching Pokemon easier. I know it doesn't work, but I still do it sometimes out of habit. :p

I'm guilty of that as well. Old habits die hard.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 28, 2023
I was too young to play Red in it's glory days but when I started playing my brother would often tell me to hold down b and a to instantly catch Pokémon.
Years later I still do not forgive him for this.

I used to do the same using different methods such as spamming a and b button, thought it will make catching Pokémon easier back then. Of course, It does not works at all.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
oh shit i forgot but during the height of ruby/sapphire, i totally believed that space station thing and the white rock thing. i wanted a deoxys so bad lmfaooo. i would go check the rocket launches everyday... so glad gamefreak gave that rumor a nod in ORAS. that made me happy.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Someone told me that if you beat the Elite Four 50 times, you get to go to the Orange Islands. x:

Geez, I was gullible.

Years
the common ones got me. the mew under the truck was popular back then and I remember using strength on that boulder and that disappointment :(

and the thing that you should continuously press A and B to heighten the catch rate. i still do that whenever i get desperate catching a legendary.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 10, 2019
There were so many... but I forgot most. As others have said, pressing A to catch, pressing B to catch, I even fell for pressing A and B at the same time to catch. Lots of weird superstitions lol.

SawkTheWarrior

SW-7387-7525-9201
Years
I started playing Firered back in 2014, and it was my first pokemon game actually, and i remember hearing that , like everyone else, thought that pressing B many times would make the pokemon stay in the ball.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 18, 2020
Definitely the "You can go to space and find Deoxys and Jirachi" rumor... that one was a rumor that I basically lived for

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Mew truck, Lavender Syndrome, and most of the PokéGod rumors.

Since I couldn't get Mew from under the truck in Red, I was convinced that it only worked in Yellow. When I got Yellow and it still didn't work, I assumed that it must've been exclusive to the Japanese games and gave up.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
Years
RBY:
The S.S Anne sinks and if you stick around and find the party hall you can be there while it sinks.
Pokégods in the outer grass of Pallet Town.
Oak is the Champion when you catch 160 Pokemon.
Giovanni is Blue's Dad, and if you beat the Elite Four 50 times he comes home.
Beating the Elite Four 100 times Oak is the Champion.

In GSC
Beat the Elite Four 5 times, on a wednesday during night. Silver is Champion
Agatha lives in Pallet Town and appears once a year. You can battle her.
You can go to the upper/lower floors of Lavender Tower, Silph Co.

RS:
Beat the Battle Tower 40 times and you get "The Metal Ticket" which gives you access to Johto, and later Kanto. (It was a believable rumour due to GSC doing that)
There's hidden Braille in unlikely places such as Trees, Buildings, Grass, Water, Walls, Floors, Tables, Screens, etc.
Going to the Moon after 100 successful launches.
Talking to the Girl next to the rock on Mossdeep eventually gets you a Jirachi.
Gold is battlable in the Safari Zone.
Red is Battlable in Cave of Origins.

Years
I've definitely been gullible enough to fall for the PokeGod rumors, and the "spam B to keep the Pokemon in the ball" rumor. Although, I did fall for the Mew under the truck rumor, I never took much stock of it because I never actually tried it. I'd only heard it in passing really.

trainer_nokachi

the trainer who wanders ~
Years
  • Age 31
  • AZ
  • Seen Dec 16, 2020
If you press A twice when a first stage starter Pokemon evolves, it will bypass the middle stage and evolve into the final stage.

That, and there was also the rumor that Dragonite could evolve into Yoshi that I fell for.

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..
Years
Hmm.

I fell for pretty much every single rumor..

Even to this day I spam A or B while trying to catch a rare Pokemon....or a useless one.

I even believed the Mew under the truck, which was a horrible rumor.

I used to go to the Rocket Launch site on Ruby Sapphire and Emerald to try and get Deoxys, (And yes, I had all three games. Don't judge me..!) and sadly, it just never happened. Although I'm happy they incorporated this into ORAS as a nod to the rumor.

I even believed the whole "Dragonite will evolve into Yoshi" trick. I mean, it's a lot of young player's fantasy, to have their Pokemon evolve into a creature from another franchise.

I fell for a lot more rumors, but none that I can clearly remember.

Back