• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

See no evil, hear no evil

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    If you HAD to give up one of your five senses (smell, taste, vision, hearing or touch), which one would you rather lose?
    Which one could you absolutely NOT lose?

Last edited:
    Years
    I'd lose smell. Bad smells make me nauseous and I can dance without smell.

I could never compete or choreograph if I was blind though, so I'll keep my sight thanks.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    i don't have a sense of smell and therefore an extremely limited sense of taste

this is a very loaded question

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    i don't have a sense of smell and therefore an extremely limited sense of taste

this is a very loaded question
    That is very interesting, actually. May I ask if you lost it at some point or if you never had a sense of smell to begin with? If it's too sensitive somehow, of course you don't need to answer.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    That is very interesting, actually. May I ask if you lost it at some point or if you never had a sense of smell to begin with? If it's too sensitive somehow, of course you don't need to answer.

nah since birth
    never had any accident/brain damage or w/e i think it's just how my nasal passage was formed i guess

i'm more annoyed that i'll never truly understand how good some foods are bc no sense of smell = severely diminished capacity for taste
    maybe one day god will let me understand just how good tikka masala can really be

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Could give up: Touch
    Couldn't give up: Sight

I wouldn't mind giving up touch as long as I could still pick up and grab things. I don't think I could give up sight because I want to still be able to see where I'm going and not need help. I think being blind would be a lot harder than being deaf.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
    I could get rid of smell, and I could NEVER EVER lose Vision.

Now, the people in this thread are scaring me. Many say that they could give up on their touch. You do know if that happens you don't feel cold, nor hot ... You can't feel any internal wound, or external. You can't feel anything, it's not limited to your hands! Think about it ...

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I doubt that anyone would say that they'd give up their vision. We are such sight-based creatures and idk how blind people can stand living really.

I'd probably give up smell or something

sCam

Killing is a pleasure
    Years
    • ny
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    I'd give up smell easily over touch. I can't lose taste/vision I'm a gamer so i need my vision for graphics and to play. I like the taste of good food, and good drinks like soda, and chips :)

AmetsuCAT

KITTY POWER!!
    Years
    • Age 24
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 6, 2023
    Could give up: Smell
    Couldn't give up: Hearing

As strange as it is, I'd rather be blind than deaf.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I can only smell really strong scents anyway so I might as well just get rid of that altogether

Or maybe I could lose hearing, but definitely not sight

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I'd lose smell. Bad smells make me nauseous and I can dance without smell.

You wouldn't be able to taste, either, then.

I wouldn't mind losing my touch. Feels unneeded anyway.
    But I WOULD never be able to give up my sight. May as well end my life if I had to give it up... how would I be able to watch anime, go online? Everything I like doing?

...Sorry, that was dark.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    This post isn't really directed towards anyone in particular, but I find it so interesting how, every time I see one of these threads, people are so willing to give up their sense of touch, moreso than any other senses. I suppose it's fair enough, given that touch isn't seen as important as the other senses but... I dunno, I'd personally be terrified if I lost my sense of touch.

I wouldn't be able to feel how comfortable my bed is. I wouldn't be able to feel how comforting a person's hug is. In essence, I wouldn't be able to feel, on a physical level, things that are normally comfortable to me. It's a scary thought.

If I had to pick any senses I would have to lose (not that I'd prefer to lose any, of course): It would be taste. Reason being is that I've always been stingy around food since I was a kid, and even though giving up taste would mean giving up pizza, it'd be a price worth paying if I can experience the comfort of life with the other four senses.
    I basically came here to write something like this :D I'd give up taste but I would never give up vision. It would ruin my ability to work and my hobby as well. Touch, I couldn't really give up either. It's very important to feel the world around me.

Shamol

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
    Years
    This is incredibly difficult to answer. I'd probably part with my smell- and so my taste to, to a significant extent I guess? I have no idea how that would feel. Would it leave me perpetually insatiated and dissatisfied with any food that I eat? Like there's a degree of fulfillment you get when you eat a hearty meal. For me at least, having at least two satisfactory meals per day has become something of a routine. I wouldn't know how deeply my day-to-day activities would be affected if I part with the feeling of being satisfied with food.

When I was doing my thesis a few months back- I could only manage to have dinner, and that to on the road. I managed to function, I guess, but that was only for two months.

There's no way I can ever part with my vision. All other things being equal, I may as well choose death over blindness. Who knows.

Bay

Years
    I doubt that anyone would say that they'd give up their vision. We are such sight-based creatures and idk how blind people can stand living really.

Yeah, and good reason since we rely sight for almost everything. I can't imagine living without sight either.

However, because vision seems to be dominant here, I think the other sense I wouldn't like to lose would be hearing. I would defiantly miss the sounds I'm so used to. The sense I wouldn't mind losing would be smell since I don't really trust my smell half the time to be honest.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    We actually have more than ten senses, but...alright.

If you're talking about senses in general, I would lose my nociception, which means the sense of feeling pain. However, you said five, so I guess I'll have to get rid of touch.

Back