• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Something you want to learn to do

Years
    Thought this would make an interesting topic!

Are there any skills you want to learn? There are many things that can fall under this umbrella - programming, drawing, writing, crocheting, singing, riding a motorcycle, cooking, or maybe even ballet dancing. There's probably at least one thing out there people would be interested in learning, whether they're currently working on it, will in the future, or just see it as an interest they wouldn't mind picking up at some point. What are some of the things you would be interested in learning?

Years
    • Seen today
    I like watching combat sports and other types of martial arts. I wouldn't mind learning jiu jitsu someday.

Had a short stint with Taekwondo but eventually had to stop due to the expensiveness and never went back.

Years
    That is awesome even if you did it for a short while! I did karate for about a year but had to cancel due to declining mental health. Only hit brown belt, but it was still a fun experience.

I'd love to learn so many things. Voice acting, singing, even programming would be awesome. Also more languages like Japanese or French! But the sheer amount of things I want to do overwhelms me and I never end up starting.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Now that you mention it, after all this time practicing overcoming the awkwardness of real-time playing characters in DnD, voice acting would be really fun to try.

PkmnTrainSlate

Myth Researcher Slate
    Years
    I'd like to learn how to speak Japanese.

It's such a cool language, and I know a lot of people who speak it, but I can't pronounce any of the words correctly for some reason..

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I have a bunch of languages I want to learn and master :( But at least I do spend half an hour per day studying

Years
    This is my huge problem: too many things. Like, really a lot lol.

I wanna improve my violin playing, my Japanese, my French. I have other languages I'd like to learn like German or Chinese.
    I wouldn't mind learning to draw even if it's really not on the top of the list.

I want to know more about fashion and eventually even learn the most practical stuff. I would like to learn how to surf lol, then also some computer related things like Linux skills.
    Probably there are also other things I'd like to learn but that aren't coming to my head rn lol.
    Anyway, being lazy, inconsistent and wasting much time, I haven't really learnt any of those yet lol.

PkmnTrainSlate

Myth Researcher Slate
    Years
    Oh! Here's another thing I want to learn! I want to learn how to get better at cooking!

I'm great at baking, but I'm absolutely horrible at cooking. The only thing I can make without ruining it is soup, which is really easy, so getting better at cooking is a definite YES for me

Years
    I will use this thread as an excuse to info dump on my latest hyperfixation: transitioning from very cushioned shoes with heel-toe drop, to full on minimalist barefoot shoes.

I've heard numerous benefits from doing so, like regaining foot strength, saving unused muscles in your feet from dying, healing bunions, hammertoes and similar conditions, walking "correctly" and running with a more light footed approach, using your calf muscles more thus them growing properly, being more aware of the ground you step on and being more connected to the Earth, and so many more that I can't remember right now.

I'm too scared to actually just go off training being fully barefoot and would prefer to have some level of protection at the very least, so something like a minimalist "barefoot" type shoe would really aid me. Ticks all the boxes: it's super light and flexible, so it adjusts to your feet instead of your feet adjusting to it, it has a very wide foot-shaped toe box so your toes can splay properly and not be restricted, and lastly it's incredibly thin, so there's very little separating your feet from the ground, thus you can feel what you're stepping on more and connect better with the Earth, like our ancestors did for thousands of years. Less is more.

It just sucks though that I can't buy them anywhere in my country, so I'll have to order online (something I hate with shoes bcs I would really prefer to fit them first before finalizing a purchase). And even then, I'm turned off by just how ludicrously expensive they are! I get that Nike and Adidas charge that much because they put all sorts of technology into the shoe cushion + R&D and all that, but a minimalist shoe literally has zero cushioning; it's a 5mm piece of flexible material separating your feet from the ground! On top of that, because of how thin and light it is, for sure it has a much shorter longevity compared to bulkier standard shoes. You expect me to pay $160 and above for that? I think I'll just stick with the shoes I have in the meantime and practice better walking and running form.3

Rant over. The bottom line is, to answer the original question, when I'm rich enough, I would love to buy barefoot shoes and get started learning the "proper" way to move as a human.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Learn how to draw more realistically, learn how to draw scenery, and in general, get better at drawing so I have confidence to allow myself to say my drawings are art.

Years
    i've been wanting to learn how to program for years. it's what i go to school to do. unfortunately, ever since the school thing didn't pan out, my motivation to learn how to program has dwindled. that said though, i guess it has to come to a point where i'd have to teach myself and not rely on college courses. i'm just nervous because i'm not even sure where to begin and how effective those methods are.

Back