• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports Games

Do you enjoy sports games?

• Yes

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    zW2qVRd.jpg

What are your thoughts on games like Madden, Fifa, Nba2k, etc.? Do you have a favorite game? If so, what draws you to them? If you don't like them, why not? Maybe you like more gimmicky games like the Mario or Disney sports games. Why do you prefer these?

Personally, I don't enjoy sports games. A lot of my friends growing up and even now really enjoy playing Fifa. My brother really enjoys playing Madden, but for me they are just boring. I enjoyed the Mario sports games growing up, but even now they are somewhat dull to me.

Years
  • I used to play NHL and FIFA on my PS1. I remember I've play 2000 and 2001 versions of NHL the most. I also had David Beckham Soccer for PS1, but it was inferior to FIFA.

I had and played the heck out of NHL and FIFA 2009 on PC, but after that, I stopped playing this kind of games. I got FIFA 2021 on Switch, but barely played it.

I also have Mario & Sonic at Rio game on Saturday 3DS, but it was more like a compilation of minigames with weird controls. I enjoyed it, especially when I played with my family and friends, but I don't really have a reason to return to it now.

Years
  • I've played some sports games over the years and more or less had fun. I'm generally more drawn to narrative-focused games though so I don't get as much out of them as I do other things.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Found them okay when younger. Played a mix of normal games (Super Bases Loaded and a Madden SNES game) and cartoonier games (Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, and Mega Man Soccer). Favored the cartoonier ones for not needing to adhere to realism. Created more interesting terrain in Mario Golf than a normal golf game, for example. Beats selecting from a dozen of seemingly similar football plays.

Considers the Wii bowling games decent too. Eventually figures out a throwing method. Turns a bit dull after that. Got some playtime, however.

Largely ignores sports games nowadays. Tried out the Switch Mario Strikers demo. Did not care. Could be exciting to watch two players that know what they are doing, though.

Years
    • Seen today
    I like the WWE 2K series for it's custom character creation system. I also play UFC 4 sometimes.

Agree that these types of games are more fun with other people.

Years
  • I'm not very good at them which doesn't help my enjoyment! The closest is Football Manager which I'm a big fan of and do like playing, but it's not explicitly a sports game so not sure if that counts!

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Regrettably I used to be one of those people who bought FIFA every year, thankfully I eventually broke out of that habit after FIFA 21. I still play that version on occasion. I've played a few other sports games as well such as Mario & Sonic at the Olympics and Mario Baseball, though it certainly isn't one of my favourite genres out there.

Years
  • I don't like Sport's games or rather, I don't like the new ones.

A sports title to me, you can go out and PLAY a sport as it's a lot better to fight, throw a ball or kick one and even then it's just as fun to watch a game after you've played it yourself or played a few games and understand whats going on. When it comes to the video game space, that's where the subject not only shifts but the perception of it as well. Because you've played that sport and followed it's rules, what does the digital version do that's different? Manage a play? Pick your favorite team members to play against each other in a game that would be one for the record books like who would win in a fight of Sonic Vs. Mario or Link vs. Samus? That's kind of the end of it.

Do I HATE sports games? No, I don't really HATE them; but there is an art to them I technically miss A LOT! I'm talking about the arcade ports to sports games! Not the Arcade-Arcade of an Arcade Cabniet... Well, Yeah, an Arcade Cabniet in a sense; but the Arcade as in where the rules can be 'MOSTLY' ignored to just play the game. Like MLB Slugfest where player's catch fire and you can PUNCH other players with the baseball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGqco4wAOdg

I mean, if sports games we're LIKE THIS!!! Then there would be a big boom in Sports titles being purchased.

Years
  • They started slimming down on my favorite mode (the modes where you manage the roster and run the team across multiple seasons) when things like FIFA Ultimate Team were first introduced, so I don't buy the mainstream ones now. Mostly just the niche sim ones like Out of the Park Baseball.

Because you've played that sport and followed it's rules, what does the digital version do that's different? Manage a play? Pick your favorite team members to play against each other in a game that would be one for the record books like who would win in a fight of Sonic Vs. Mario or Link vs. Samus? That's kind of the end of it.

The whole point is to be able to play as your favorite team and players generally, though some of us enjoy the roster management modes where we actually run the team for a few simulated seasons.

Years
  • I used to play spots games with my brother back when he had a xbox 360 and before that ps2.
    We'd play the NBA games against each other as we both played basketball irl.

I haven't played any since he moved out years ago as I don't enjoy playing them by myself.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • A younger me had a different perspective on sports games. It'd be easier if I put it in like how Pavitra Prabhakar from Into the Spider Verse puts it...*Ahem* Sports Games? Sports means games! So you're playing game games? What do you get? Point points? Where do you stand? At the leader leaderboards?
    Anyways, sports games are fun with friends. But if I'm with friends, the games we play are either Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Zelda BoTW or Genshin. If we're not gaming, we just go play the sport itself. Haven't had a big experience with sports games though.

Back