• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film Star Wars VII

NidoKingdra

Envy The Dead
Years
  • So I saw this last night. I won't spoil anything of course, but I liked it. I was worried when I found out that they didn't go with the script Lucas had intended, but the movie was still quite good.

If you're worried about the direction Disney might take Star Wars, well, I'll admit I was too. That said, they did a really good job with this one (even if I felt like there were at least a few inconsistencies, but that's bound to happen when a series changes hands)

Go see it, and tell everyone what you think about it!

Remember, no spoilers!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • There were long lines outside my local theater for the advance screenings of the movie yesterday, and we had to wait in the cold afternoon/evening to get inside. They definitely didn't screw it up like Episode 1, and just like Jurassic World, expect a lot of callbacks to a New Hope. Cheers to hoping this film beats Avatar as the highest grossing film of all time.

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
    Years
  • I'm a monster and an abomination of mankind, so I've never in my lifetime seen all six of the original movies. {XD} But after having gained somewhat an appreciation for the franchise, its massive lore, and just how timeless and popular it is, I got all of them on Blu Ray about a year ago in hopes of watching them someday, but I never got to it.

Now that a new one is out, I felt it was a better time than ever to finally do so. I saw IV last week and V just now, and I am absolutely loving it. :) Slowly all of the puzzle pieces of lore and whatnot I already do know of the series are coming together for me, and I'll be able to fully enjoy the new one whenever I watch it, which I plan to in a couple weeks or so, whenever tickets become available {XD}

But yeah, I'm loving the movies so far (not gonna go into detail about what I like and dislike, but there's just so much of it that's so damn good), I've gained a lot of respect for this series, and I'm really happy it's as alive and kicking as it was 30 years ago; it really feels like one of those few things that everyone experiences at one point or another. I'm hoping that once I'm all caught up I'll enjoy this new one, and I hope all of you guys do too :) One of the biggest media franchises of all time becoming acquired by the biggest media company of all time has opened up many many more possibilities, I'm really happy to see that it's turning out well so far :) Can't wait to finally experience a Star Wars movie in the theater.

Unfortunately, earlier tonight while I was Googling Star Wars-related stuff, one of the autofill results was something that implied something heavily, heavily spoilery happening in the new movie (I'm not going to describe it here, obviously), and I'm filled with a bit of regret from seeing that... :( Regardless if it was true, I'm really hoping that thinking about it doesn't deter from my experience of watching it at all, but all I gotta say is, be very, very weary of sites that could potentially have spoilers. In times like this it's like a minefield trying to avoid them, they even come up when you least expect it. :(

Last edited:
    Years
  • I definitely agree that it's probably better that they abandoned Lucas' script for this. I think Lucas is a perfectionist, which isn't always necessarily bad but it means he likes having the power to make loads of changes to his initial ideas. If they had used his script, obviously he wouldn't be able to do that and he may have ended up unhappy with the finished product.

Please don't click my spoiler tag unless you have seen the movie.

Spoiler:

Years
  • jfc i am in love with this movie

my thoughts on things. spoilers ofc
    Spoiler:

I am most likely going to see it again soon because it was just so good.

Last edited:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • That movie did more to establish its protagonists as interesting characters than Phantom Menace did in the entire movie. I really enjoyed it.

My only question. Not really a spoiler, but just in case you want to know absolutely nothing before going to see it.
    Spoiler:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • *sucks in breath* yikes

so first off, im coming from a standpoint of
    - my grandparents christmas tradition is watching the original trilogy
    - my boyf being literally the biggest star wars nerd ever
    - being exposed to and interested in expanded universe stuff
    - swearing complete loyalty to timothy zahn
    - being highly affronted that they chose to eradicate his novels from canon

from a pretty objective storytelling standpoint, this movie was highly predictable and very slow. i honestly believe it could have been condensed into an hour and would have been a much more interesting film for it. that also would have left them room to, you know, get on with the story.

there wasnt actually much substantial plot to it. it was literally all setup, which was obnoxious. even a setup movie should have an enclosed plot for it to be worth something.

it was basically ep 4 again, let's be real.

there was no exploration of culture and zero explanation of what the current status of the galaxy is in terms of political control?

basically it was nothing new. not in terms of storytelling nor in terms of the franchise.

also finn's behaviour and dialogue dont match his backstory and the language style is very 20-teens Earth and it's super jarring

also i did a podcast on it if you want a more in depth rant. we made sure to have a very obvious spoiler mark so dont worry :D https://thenexus.tv/episode/so3/

also totally talk to me about all of it yay

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Thought it was fantastic. Not as anal about the thing as some people have been though, as I know a lot of people are whining about aspects of it, but to me it was the perfect way to bridge the Original Trilogy and the Prequels.
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Something I've seen since my first comment in this thread has me really interested. Spoiler tag again, but really it doesn't spoil anything as long as you already know of the characters that are going to be in the film.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

That seems to be a question I haven't seen answered yet. Hopefully we get an explanation on that one, it's the only one not easily explained away.

Sir Codin

I'm not going to spoiler anything because I don't want to write anything extensive, all I will say is that after the tragedy that was the prequels, this movie is at the very least a SOLID step in the right direction. It's got its flaws, which makes me the think the current Metacritic rating of 81 is appropriate, but overall I liked it. I'll see it again.

If anybody has a problem with it, just do what I did with the prequel trilogy....ignore it.

Years
  • Saw this on Sunday. I was basically told before I went that it was a good movie, but that there were some...parts that definitely required suspension of disbelief, probably a little more so than normal. Not so much related to the actual Star Wars universe, but to sci-fi conventions in general.

Probably doesn't need a spoiler, but I'll include it in one just in case:
    Spoiler:

Stuff like that. Although I'm not as much into the genre in general, so I would have thought nothing of it had I not been told that, heh.

While the movie might not have been anything groundbreaking, I still thought it really was enjoyable. So much better than the prequels, by far (let me tell you about how I can't watch AotC because I always fall asleep trying to watch it even if I was awake enough beforehand). Seeing this makes me excited to see what they'll end up doing for the next movies, definitely.

Sir Codin

Just got back from seeing Star Wars 7 for the second time in theaters. Second time is better than the first and my already favorable opinion of the movie is now even more favorable. The same cannot be said for the people who were in the theater with me though. If these people weren't tourists, then I am now of the opinion that Nevadans and Utahans are shittier movie goers than Californians.

A few ground rules when going to a theater:
    1. Shut up
    2. Seriously, shut the **** up
    3. Turn off your cell phone
    4. Either eat something before seeing the movie or leave. Chewing popcorn and opening candy wrappers is louder than you think.
    5. If you have kids, take them to a showing earlier in the day
    6. I'm not kidding...SHUT. THE. ****. UP.
    7. Don't ask questions about the plot until AFTER the movie is over
    8. If you are watching a sequel and don't know what happened before, get out of the theater and go watch the previous movies before seeing this one. Otherwise, you run a great risk of breaking rules 1,2,3,6, and 7.
    9. If you are not interested in seeing the movie and feel the need to break rule 3 because you're bored, LEAVE
    10. Don't kick the seats

Obey these rules and you'll lower the chances of someone (namely myself) becoming tempted to kick your ass.
    I will now present more information in the form of two PSA's that like-minded individuals have made:

Spoiler:

Now, onto a comment on people's comments about the film:

Seeing people's irritation at how The Force Awakens is too similar to A New Hope is just totally funny to me. Some of these same people probably also shitted on the prequels for being "too different." It reminds me of the Zelda fanbase - when a "classic Zelda game" comes out, people criticize it for not doing anything new, then when something like Majora's Mask comes out, people criticize it for being "too different to be a Zelda game." Granted, Majora's Mask is better written than all three Star Wars prequels, but the same vibes are still there.

People wanted a return to "classic Star Wars," that's what we got. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, it could've been worse - George Lucas could've directed it. Plus, now that all the "classic Star Wars" notes have been hit and rekindled in JUST THIS FIRST MOVIE, we now have the second and third movies in this new trilogy for the two other directors (IIRC, Abrams isn't doing Episodes 8 and 9) to expand upon. I pretty much knew this film was going to be similar to the original Star Wars and I still enjoyed it.

It's not just a sequel - it's also a reboot.

the language style is very 20-teens Earth and it's super jarring.
    I don't think it's jarring at all. In fact, I think it makes things less awkward and more relatable - this entry has probably the least amount of awkward dialogue of any entry in the saga.

If you think it doesn't fit with the universe, look at it from this perspective - it's been 30-35 years since the end of Return of the Jedi in-universe. Language and dialects change over time - the new characters' way of speaking being different than the OT characters' way of speaking is similar to how younger people today don't speak in quite the same way as their elders did back in their day. The way people spoke in 1977-83 was different than in 2015 and that can extend to the Star Wars universe as well.

ONE LAST THING:
    People seriously need to get the hell over Ren's crossguard-claymore lightsaber.

I'll admit, I thought it was stupid at first too, then I actually saw the film and I thought they did a good job with it, especially considering the more natural sword-fighting style they used in this film compared to the stupid twirly-flippy "all flash, no substance" duels of the prequels. I gave it a chance and I was pleasantly surprised with how well it was handled.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Haha I had issues with numbers 1-7 and 10. Saw it at around 9pm at night and a little kid was doing most of that stuff behind me. Although his excitement meant I kinda forgave him.

Some spoilerific thoughts below, but I would like to point out that if you divide the film into 3 main acts MY HOMELAND IS THE THIRD ACT'S PRIMARY SETTING!!!
    The lake was filmed in two locations, both of them within 20 miles of me, I grew up walking those hills (its the Lake District in England). I've actually nearly drowned in a movie set :P

Spoiler:

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    i agree with Anna that ep7 was basically a mix of eps 4 and 5 again. But that was mostly just endearing with all the callbacks. I'm sure they only made ep7 so on purpose and will have more original plot in eps 8 and 9.

Also Finn, yeah, he was kind of awkward as a char while I loved Poe from the first few minutes already. Abd Rey was the total star of the show. I had this theory for most of the movie that she was Ren's sister and ther would eventually be a sibling drama. She'd still be a Skywalker, you know, since Leia was one! But Leia and Han never mentioned another child so it's probably more likely that she is Luke's. Because obviously she will be a Skywalker.

The best part of the movie was that the trailers and posters made it seem like Finn was the forcey one. There has never been a main char girl jedi, Leia and Padme were just pretty princesses with guns. But Rey got it, and I was soooo pleased. Rey. Hell yeah.

Ok scratch that, BB-8 was the star of the show. I don't care for those who say "not ANOTHER robot" because he is love.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm going to keep it brief, but I just saw it tonight and I haven't left the theater that satisfied with a film in a long time. It was fantastic.

Spoiler:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I thought the movie was really good. I'll echo everyone else and say that it was basically a copy of the original Star Wars movies, but they wanted to get back to basics, so that's forgivable.

However, I actually found Finn the more interesting character out of the two. I thought the concept for his character was really good, but the execution wasn't stellar. Rey I found to be a little too perfect, and the inner struggle they put inside of her didn't do much to affect her. Well, it affected her, but I thought the amount that it affected her was a stretch. The two main characters carried the weight of the movie very well, but the execution left something to be desired. I'm mainly talking about the dialogue, as it was a little sketchy at times, but Star Wars has always had that problem.

Also, the fact that George Lucas wasn't directing it was a huge selling point for me. I'm sorry, but I really don't like him as a director.

Also, when is there going to be a main alien character? They killed off all of the alien pilots, and that's probably what I'm most disappointed about, haha.

Loriania

Mars Adept
    Years
  • Show the movie on Monday... finally. I really liked it, but some things reminded me of Episode IV. Rey is a cool character, I like her. And more Poe in the next movies, please.

Sir Codin

I'm going to defend the "similar to Star Wars" criticism here and say that just because it has similar elements and plot structure that doesn't make it bad. Even if a story has been told before, it can still be interesting if told in a different way. Many tales throughout the ages have been retold using different methods, so Abrams did the same with Star Wars. Even then, there was enough new stuff introduced in this movie that it made the retelling fun and exciting. It was the classic space fantasy adventure that I felt was missing from a lot of things regarding Star Wars for the past 16+ years.

Let's not forget that Star Wars itself was an homage to classic adventure serials like Flash Gordon.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I saw it the previous weekend with a friend. I quite enjoyed it. Sure, I have some criticisms (e.g. the similar bit - it did borrow too much from other films, or one in particular), but they didn't ruin the movie and did well also in laying the groundwork for the next two films.

Back