• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Do you think it is real or fake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
  • Shulk was the one character next to Ghirahim that I wanted playable, and I'm glad he was officially confirmed. And what do you know, the art's the same as in the leaked pictures. If this doesn't convince still-skeptics that the leak is 100% real, I don't know what will. And that list of rumored playables from the link Pinkie-Dawn provided must be real too, because the details after the leak are 100% true thanks to Shulk's reveal. So, playable Ridley guys (and Mewtwo!!!). Go nuts! xD

(Kinda ruined the surprise though... the leaker couldn't wait one more week?)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Good to see official confirmation, and also getting to see him properly now with all those moves and using the Monado. Interesting play style! And I really like that Riki and Dunban show up in the final smash (but what about Reyn time!?)

Gaur plains being in as a stage and tune is excellent as well. Cannot wait.

Also (Assist trophy image):

uhhhh

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Trophy, trophy!

https://www.smashbros.com/us/howto/entry6.html Assist trophies, there's other pages too (like pokeball Pokemon). Pretty sure Midna was shown off as a trophy ages back though, unless I imagined that?

Nah, you're most likely right. Which is a shame though, considering Midna would have been sweet as a playable character. Still, if she's a trophy, maybe there's future hope for her as a playable character sometime in the future (not this game considering she's a trophy, but maybe a future installment.)

I don't really care that much for Shulk. His moveset doesn't really interest me that much and to be honest, I'm surprised that Nintendo decided to choose a character from Xenoblade Chronicles from all games instead of a more classic Nintendo franchise such as Wario, Ganondorf, and a Golden Sun/DK character? Either one would have been a nice addition.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Nah, you're most likely right. Which is a shame though, considering Midna would have been sweet as a playable character. Still, if she's a trophy, maybe there's future hope for her as a playable character sometime in the future (not this game considering she's a trophy, but maybe a future installment.)

I don't really care that much for Shulk. His moveset doesn't really interest me that much and to be honest, I'm surprised that Nintendo decided to choose a character from Xenoblade Chronicles from all games instead of a more classic Nintendo franchise such as Wario, Ganondorf, and a Golden Sun/DK character? Either one would have been a nice addition.
    I'm much less surprised - it's a good chance for them to promote a newer franchise ('newer' as in for outside Japan/of late, unlike Golden Sun). Xenoblade did pretty well with sales (and that whole Project Rainfall deal with it too shows his game had a rather large demand), now is getting a port to the 3ds which gives it even greater exposure, and next year (pending) another X game is coming to the Wii U. Pushing this series seems to be the motive, like how they used Marth and Roy in Melee when Fire Emblem wasn't known too much outside of Japan and the fanbase for the series back then. Look how FE has come since then! And after all, Smash Bros is like a celebration of all of Nintendo, old and new.

(It also seems from other leaks earlier on that Wario and Ganondorf are in, and imo they are likely to be in regardless).

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Anyone else feel annoyed about the amount of complaints about having another sword fighter in the game?

That's like complaining about too many fighters using their hands and feet. >__>

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Starting roster (from japanese eShop)
    Spoiler:

In comparison, full roster:
    Spoiler:

Leaving:
    -Bowser Jr
    -Wario
    -Game&Watch
    -Ganondorf
    -ROB
    -Ness
    -Jigglypuff
    -Duck Hunt
    -Falco
    -Doctor Mario
    -Lucina
    -Dark Pit

As unlockables. 12 characters.

Woooow Wario being unlockable is SUPER lame.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • It's interesting to note that Luigi and Toon Link are in the starting roster, making the latter our first clone starter. As for Wario being an unlockable, it's not the first time this happened to him. *points to Mario Golf 64 and Mario Kart 7*

Nah, you're most likely right. Which is a shame though, considering Midna would have been sweet as a playable character. Still, if she's a trophy, maybe there's future hope for her as a playable character sometime in the future (not this game considering she's a trophy, but maybe a future installment.)
    The problem with Midna is that, aside from spin-offs, she's only appeared in one Zelda game, just like Skull Kid, Zant, and Ghirahim. You don't want to waste a slot on a one-shot characters who aren't from a franchise known for its rotating protagonists.

Didn't Sakurai mentioned back in his older interviews complaining about Nintendo not making new IPs w/ characters that would fit in Smash Bros.? That's why new IP characters like Wii Fit Trainer and Shulk came into being.

Anyone else feel annoyed about the amount of complaints about having another sword fighter in the game?

That's like complaining about too many fighters using their hands and feet. >__>
    Because Fighting games traditionally involve using your own fists and legs, which is why no one's complaining about it. They're only complaining about too many sword fighters, because they want more diversity in weapons such as mallets, staves, chains, etc.

Years
  • You know what would make me a happy girl? Earthworm Jim as a playable character. But I'd be totally fine with him as an assist trophy or some sort of appearance that isn't just a trophy. I don't know about all of you but Jim is like one cool (groovy) worm to me.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • @DDDchu: Never gonna happen, but I could absolutely get behind that 100%.
    @Dragon: from one of the commercials. A slip up on Nintendo's part, but we already knew Falcondorf was in.

Wario got four trophies in Brawl. I'm pretty sure Sakurai's in no rush to add any more acknowledgement characters to his series (a darn shame. I was never in the "Ashley as playable" camp, but the more I think of it, the more I would've wanted it).

Eh, I can't get behind the Shulk hype. The best thing about that trailer was Bowser. It's absolutely a "because I didn't play the games" thing, but even then I never would, because I'm just generally underwhelmed by both castles, swords and dragons/elfin fantasy settings and realistic/anime human based designs, which essentially kills Fire Emblem for me, too. In all my years, I've never been into that. I'm too much of a cartoony sort of guy, and Little Mac happens to just fit that bill, along with Villager and even WFT. I can't even recall if I've ever played a Punch-Out (outside of WW:Mega Microgame$), but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a friend play it back in the day. Just saying, even characters coming from games I haven't played can still get me excited, but for me it's purely aesthetic.

All the more reason I need someone from Rhythm Heaven, really. I suppose in fairness there's way more cartoony characters than not, hah, I just feel like I could do with a few more creatures in there too. Visual stimulation just by virtue of being non-human helps the roster pop, I think.

ETA: You know what? I hope the WarioWare stage returns in the WiiU version. I'm not done having fun on that stage yet.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I think Rhythm Heaven should get a character regardless. It's one of the most successful new Nintendo IPs, certainly way more than Xenoblade. The problem is that it's not a character-centric franchise.

Still, I think something's up since they went for Rhythm Heaven of all series to get an enemy (Sneaky Spirit) for Smash Run.
    Supposedly, this is a leaked image, but:

Ganondorf is in, maybe? o: Or is it fake?
    It's from one of the Japanese trailers today so it's real.

Doesn't really matter though, we pretty much know the whole roster from last week's leak. (Unless it isn't the whole roster since every leaker are implying that for some reason.)

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I think Rhythm Heaven should get a character regardless. It's one of the most successful new Nintendo IPs, certainly way more than Xenoblade. The problem is that it's not a character-centric franchise.

I'm all for the Karate dude! :D

Years
  • I want more animal-based characters.

Love my Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, uh not too familiar with Xenoblade, but the ratio of new human characters is completely unbalanced. I will barf if Dark Pit/Dr.Mario gets a slot, but not Medusa or Paper Mario.

But Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. will be nice animal-based additions! (Though Duck Hunt isn't completely confirmed yet...Bowser Jr. is 99% confirmed, haha)

I'm pretty sure Dixie Kong, K Rool, Sticks (promote the new sonic games?), and Tails would beef up roster slots for series that are important/popular with animal-based characters. (I know, I know, I get it I get it...seriously if anyone "corrects" me for wanting anymore 3rd party characters as if I don't know anything about the difficulty or low chances of it happening...just don't!! Seriously. :p)

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • Starting roster (from japanese eShop)
    Spoiler:

In comparison, full roster:
    Spoiler:

Leaving:
    -Bowser Jr
    -Wario
    -Game&Watch
    -Ganondorf
    -ROB
    -Ness
    -Jigglypuff
    -Duck Hunt
    -Falco
    -Doctor Mario
    -Lucina
    -Dark Pit

As unlockables. 12 characters.

Woooow Wario being unlockable is SUPER lame.

That's pretty big for a starting roster. Are you sure that's what we start with? Certain characters being starters (like Luigi, Toon Link, Sonic, Marth, Mega Man, and Pac-Man for example) seems a little weird to me. Also, Pinkie-Dawn's link had about 4 other characters supposedly in (which I'm starting to believe), which fill in the gap of missing characters in the final roster and upping the number of unlockables to 16. There's a picture somewhere that shows All-Star mode locked, so we know that there's still some characters we don't know.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I just got an email from Nintendo saying that Smash Bros for 3DS will be released on Midnight October 3rd.

I'm wondering if that means every gamestop will be open at midnight to release this game or if it's participating stores only. I've never pre-ordered a game with a midnight release.

Back