• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Do you think it is real or fake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    The series was meant to be for fun from the very beginning but people wouldn't stop trying to turn it into a competitive game.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • Play on whatever ****ing setting you want and don't judge others on their own preferences.

This "real men use/don't use items" crap is unwarranted. The option is there for a reason.

^This. So much this.

There are multiple settings there to cater to all types of Smash players, the competitive and the casual. I myself love playing with items on, they make matches hectic and sometimes unpredictable, but I occasionally play with items off if I'm playing serious matches with friends and things like that. Because of this, there is no definitive way to play Smash, just play the way you want to, whether you only like Final Destination or you prefer hitting people out of the park with the Home-Run Bat. I don't like when people judge others because they play/don't play a certain way. Coming from both ends of the spectrum, IMO, whether items are on or not, the bottom line is, Smash Bros is good fun all around. I bet if they took all items out of the game completely (this includes the Smash Ball), everyone would be disappointed, even those that didn't use them in the first place. So, want to play No Items Fox Only? Go ahead. Poke Ball Battle? The option's there. Smash Potato? Why not? The abundance of options available to us allow everyone to have fun in some way.

So tl;dr: Do what you want to do. [/rant]

On another note: In my history of playing Smash Bros, I can't believe I never found out until now that Ness' bat reflects projectiles. xD

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Ness' bat is news to me too.

I play both for fun and competitively. I only play competitively because my friends do. So if I want to play with them, I have to get used to it. I only play with items on with my friends who visit me. Though when I visit my friends, it's their rules and it's usually items off and flat stages.

Years
  • I prefer items off because explosive capsules keep spawning right in front of me while I'm attacking, stage wise I either play on Final destination or battlefield with some other stages That don't have annoying hazards like tortimer island and gerudo valley as they make it very obvious on which side you don't want to be.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • Whenever I can, I switch off explosive items, because so many times I've been winning only to use flamethrower on a place where a bob-omb just happens to spawn and blow me off the map. I keep capsules, though, because they at least have the excuse of not always being murderous. Other than that, all items on.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    When your main is Pikachu, you need items just to score a KO lmao. He takes forever to KO someone but easily racks up damage.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    So I understand this is the Smash Bros. thread? Due to my computer borking, I've limited my overall activity recently, but I was directed in this direction. Got a new system just for this game, so I can add people for that (note, it's not the FC in my sig.).

So, can we for a minute talk about how irredeemably terrible of a map Jungle Japes is? The water is pretty much impossible to escape.
    I dropped a Giant DK into the drink immediately the other day.

It escaped, dropped me in, and ended my game.

I was speechless.

Years
  • So, here are my thoughts on the characters so far.

My favorites a purely based on the characters themselves, their model, personality, and yes, bias for their roles in their respective games. I also listed the characters I have had the most success with, and the ones that I haven't really taken a liking to. Palutena is by far the biggest disappointment; I was so excited to see her in the game but she doesn't have a lot going for her aside from having a beautiful model and attack animations (those wings).

Favorite Characters:
    1. Peach
    2. Lucina
    3. Palutena
    4. Greninja
    5. Pikachu
    6. Zelda/Sheik
    7. Link
    8. Bowser
    9. ZSS/Samus
    10. Rosalina

Most Effective:
    1. Rosalina
    2. Zero Suit Samus
    3. Peach
    4. Lucina
    5. Bowser
    6. Marth
    7. Greninja
    8. Sheik
    9. Bowser Jr.
    10. Robin
    11. Lucario
    12. Fox
    13. Lil Mac (Must use purple hoodie alt.)
    14. Yoshi
    15. Duck Hunt

Least Effective:
    39. Samus
    40. Game and Watch
    41. Olimar
    42. Zelda (She's a bit better.)
    43. DK
    44. Luigi
    45. Wii Fit Trainer
    46. Charizard
    47. Palutena :(
    48. Mega Man

Which characters did you guys think were most useful so far?

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I think I've been getting used to using Lucina a bit better, given that most of the high scores are delivered from her (in Classic mode, and the 100-Man Smash mentioned earlier). But after watching one of the Smash tournaments, I'm considering if I must use Rosalina and Luma as my main, I haven't using them quite often atm.

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    I want Lucina to be my main, but I'm better at others than I am with her.

tfw your favorite character isn't the same as your best character

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Yeah, lately I feel like Lucina was way better than one of my favorite character, Kirby for several reasons. And so far I used these two more, so I'm not sure which one will be the best character for me.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    My favorite characters are also generally the ones I'm the best with, because, ya know, I've gotten the most practice with them. Which'd be Lucina and Robin in my case. I've also found that I don't play Luigi and Ike that much anymore even though they were my mains in Brawl, and have been playing Mario plenty but never cared much for him before in Smash.

But as for characters I haven't played much but think are pretty good: Rosalina and Mac. Rosalina to me is basically a better Ice Climbers, and if you really know how to use Luma she will wreck people. Like me. Mac is ridiculous on the ground; dude's both fast and strong, and there's that KO uppercut. Problem with him though is that he's not good in the air and his recovery sucks.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    My mains are the characters whose games I've enjoyed.

1. Pikachu (mascot of my favorite series Pokemon)
    2. Luigi (Love Super Mario and Luigi is my fav)
    3. Kirby (I love the games)
    4. Marth (never played his games but I mained him in Melee when I was young)
    5. Lucina (Fav character in Awakening)
    6. Pac-Man (Ever since I was a kid, I always thought he'd fit perfectly in Smash and now look)

Lucario and Rosalina are the only 2 characters that kick my ass. Pikachu barely has any KO power but racks up a lot of damage. This gives Lucario an edge because I can't knock him out but all the damage makes him stronger.

Rosalina is just annoying because Luma. Without Luma, she'd be a breeze lol.

I'm not too keen on the power-based characters in any fighting game with a few exceptions. So I don't normally care for Ganondorf, Bowser, DK, etc.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • So far I've really been enjoying playing as Little Mac. I love the speed he has as it reminds me of Sheik from Melee (actually, his run cycle looks really reminiscent of that.) It's a shame that his recovery moves suck so much; I've found myself on numerous occassions accidentally KO'ing myself by using his B+right move and sending myself off the stage. Otherwise, he's a complete joy to play as.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Despite some of the nerds he's supposedly given, I'm still good with Falco, but my favorite is still R.O.B., followed by my other newly found main, Bowser Jr., who I use the Iggy alt. with. I thought I was going to be good with Lucina, as I heard she's suppose to be like Old Marth, but I wasn't able to control her well, nor was I able to use her side-B properly, unlike Marth. I tried out Little Mac without trying to spam his side-B like everyone else is doing in For Glory, and I ended up losing. I was able to understand how Pac-Man works, so he was fun to play with. I even won a match against a Meta Knight player at For Glory yesterday.

Speaking of Meta Knight, has anyone seen this comparison video?

Spoiler:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    So, here are my thoughts on the characters so far.

Most Effective:
    1. Rosalina
    2. Zero Suit Samus
    3. Peach
    4. Lucina
    5. Bowser
    6. Marth
    7. Greninja
    8. Sheik
    9. Bowser Jr.
    10. Robin
    11. Lucario
    12. Fox
    13. Lil Mac (Must use purple hoodie alt.)
    14. Yoshi
    15. Duck Hunt
    Surprised Kirby didn't make that list. Chatting with some folks, we agree that Kirby's current movelist makes him one of the better characters to use. He's always been my main through good and bad arrangements.

Yeah, lately I feel like Lucina was way better than one of my favorite character, Kirby for several reasons. And so far I used these two more, so I'm not sure which one will be the best character for me.
    Lucina did give my Kirby trouble when I tried to unlock the character. By the third time, I was like, "* it", and just spammed Up-B to keep the hell away from her.

It worked. I got to 40%ish (me) to 120%ish (her) and was able to land a Smash for the win. Later, I met a Lucina online and had a VERY fierce battle where I had to use my dodging VERY well. Might be one of my best For Glory battles. Pulled off the W.

So far I've really been enjoying playing as Little Mac. I love the speed he has as it reminds me of Sheik from Melee (actually, his run cycle looks really reminiscent of that.) It's a shame that his recovery moves suck so much; I've found myself on numerous occassions accidentally KO'ing myself by using his B+right move and sending myself off the stage. Otherwise, he's a complete joy to play as.
    Haha, chump. {XD}

I mean that comically, BTW. I have good memories of a battle against "Champ", whose character selection of Little Mac I saw coming a mile away. I went with my main and I was ready, having just fought one in LAGFEST 2014 (25 minutes of a laggy 2 minute or so battle).

It took 57 seconds to land two kills. He ragequit so fast that Little Mac was labeled "CPU" on the victory screen.

Back