• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Game: X
Type: Fairy
Single challenge

I've been playing this casually and I've just beaten Grant and I'm in Geosenge Town now.

TEAM
Spoiler:

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
I need an excuse to complain about Gen 7 again, so here we are

Forum User Name: BlissyMKW
Game(s): Sun
Pokémon Type: Water
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single. I might attempt Ultimate, but I'm still thinking it over.

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Nov 15, 2018
I will be doing a Fire mono locke of Pokemon Blaze Black 2 [Base Game = Pokemon Black 2]
Name: DeadlyHyena
Game: Pokemon Blaze Black 2 [Base game = Pokemon Black 2]
Type: Fire
Mode: Single
Email: [email protected]

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2021
Finally did it I beat crystal.

Fixed power plant.
Beat Erika.
Beat Misty.
Beat Janine.
Beat Brock.
Beat Blaine.
Beat Sabrina.
Beat Blue.
Challenged Red... got bodied hard.
Took a break to chain breed a shiny eevee.
Got a shiny eevee.
Started Fighting Elite four multiple times to grind.
Fought Red 3 times and lost.
Remembered the cheap tricks I used to beat gen 1.
Beat Pikachu with Nidoking as usual.
Gave a quick claw to gengar so I could actually start to fight the rest of the team.
Used a combo of Curse, Confuse Ray and Bite to take out Snorlax.
Used a combination of Glare, Confuse Ray, and shadow ball to beat Blastoise.
Used hypnosis and dream eater to beat venosaur.
used hypnosis, curse and shadow ball to beat charizard with no damage.
Red quietly took an L.
Lots of celebration.

This was a very long and very interesting part of the run and I am super excited to keep going forward. Unfortunately my laptop is refusing to download most of my pictures so the only proof I have is my victory over Red which should be proof enough.

Final Team:
Blues S. (Gengar) lvl 58 Shadow ball, Hypnosis, Dream Eater, Curse
Rikki R. (Nidoking) lvl 61 Thunderpunch, Iron Tail, Earthquake, Ice Punch
R. Rockett (Crobat) lvl 55 Bite, Steel Wing, Fly, Confuse Ray
Matt S. (Arbok) lvl 56 Bite, Sludge Bomb, Giga Drain, Glare

I'm planning to start Platinum very soon as I'm going to be using the hoenn remake and I don't want to go backwards in mechanics so I'll be doing gen 4, then 5, then 6, then oras, then 7.

Poison: Blue 8/8, Crystal 16/16, gen 3, Platinum 0/8, gen 5, gen 6, gen 7

Attachments

• 004_Moment.jpg
    004_Moment.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 2
Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2021
Also the thread has been up for quite a while and yet none of the runs I posted have been added to the list. Nor did I get an answer about Rule 3 as I asked before I would really appreciate an answer in regards to future potential monotype runs.

Years
Also the thread has been up for quite a while and yet none of the runs I posted have been added to the list. Nor did I get an answer about Rule 3 as I asked before I would really appreciate an answer in regards to future potential monotype runs.
Sadly the new owner of the thread wasn't active since the end of August. You can make a post in the Hall of Fame and list your completed Monotypes there is you want.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 16, 2018
Forum User Name: AkiFromFT
Game(s): Ruby
Pokémon Type: Water
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years

What question are you referring to? the only question I see you asking is the one about pokemon which cannot fight back, examples being Abra and Ralts, in which case you were answered by the owner of the thread saying that you can switch train until that pokemon is capable of fighting.

Edit:
Also in regards to rule 3 didn't it used to be before the third gym cause I clearly remember thinking of viable ghost and dragon runs in gen 1 involving going through rock tunnel immediately after misty to reach lavender/celadon respectively for legit no trade in/hacked in runs. Did this change or am I just crazy?

If this is the question you're referring to, The previous thread owned by Volga also states the exact same ruling, that a pokemon of your selected type must be obtained before the Second Badge, if you're unable to do so you can hack one in. Sometimes a little research goes a long way, also while I understand you may have been confused because you thought previous threads of the challenge had slightly different rules, It's not unusual for new thread owners to slightly re-balance rules.

Forum User Name: Strike The Blood
Game(s): Emerald
Pokémon Type: Flying

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 16, 2018
Started the game and picked up Buddy the Mudkip went through beat May and wet to get Scuttle the Wingull and trained as I went through to Roxanne easily beat her and got the dudes parts back went to Dewford and remembered I had a 30% chance to get Tentacool with the old rod so I picked up Myrick the Tentacool and went back to training for Brawley sweeped him with Scuttle then went and did the Slateport Shenanigans then beat May again and destroyed Watson after a bit more training also chaught a Zigzagoon as a Rock Smash slave

Team
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 16, 2018
Trained a bit more and took on Flannery she was a joke then immediately took on Norman but had to over level my pokemon before I beat him chaught Bruce the Carvanha destroyed Winona 1st try this time woooo then beat may in lillycove took out magma on mt.Pyre and then in their own base before struggleing with Tate and Liza after that I got my last team members Chub the Spheal and Patricc the Staryu who I immediately evolved next is Groudon
Team
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 16, 2018
Went to Sootopolis after taking out team magma in the seafloor cavern then killed Groudon then struggled a bit with Wallace's team but finally beat him after a bit then went to train before going to take on the Elite Four not really struggling with them that much soooo yeah complete
Final Team
Bruce the Sharpedo level 80 Crunch, Slash, Surf, and Agility
Scuttle the Pelipper level 80 Surf, Aerial Ace, Shock Wave and Fly
Myric the Tentacruel level 80 Surf, Dive, Cut, and wrap
Buddy the Swampert level 80 Strength, Rock Tomb, Earthquake, and Surf
Chub the Walrein level 80 Strength, Surf, Body Slam, and Aurora Beam
Patricc the Starmie level 80 Thunderbolt, Recover, Surf, and Swift

Lith97

Mockingbird
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 3, 2019
Forum User Name: Lith97
Game(s): Emerald
Pokémon Type: Normal

CasualToxicStall

Toxic's the name, stalling's the game
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 3, 2023
So I had an ultimate run going in the last thread but my pc with all my saves on it bricked. Time to start a new one! Now on a laptop that's just about as powerful as a toaster I actually have to dust off my old physical copies for most of these.

Forum User Name: Casual Toxic Stall
Game(s): Fire Red, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2, Y, Ultra Moon
Pokémon Type: Ground
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2020
Forum User Name: DarkVee77
Game(s): Fire Red
Pokémon Type: Flying

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
Hi there - could my previous challenge from the old thread be carried across?

Forum User Name: kitarei
Game(s): Leaf Green, Heart Gold, Emerald, Pearl, White, Y, Sun
Pokémon Type: Fire
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Hey, do Let's GO games count since, although they have different mechanics, they are still yellow remakes? If not, that's ok I guess

Username: Ahri
Type: Normal
Games: Red, Silver/Soul Silver, ORAS(need to check which one is free, I got both), Platinum, White 2, XY(need to see which one is free), SM(same as with ORAS and XY)

Last edited:
Years
Hey, do Let's GO games count since, although they have different mechanics, they are still yellow remakes? If not, that's ok I guess
Both me and Spirit Shackle see LGPE as spin-offs, but in the end it's up to the every challenge's owner to decide what is best for their challenge (as with every game). Like I can see doing Monotype on LGPE, but not Nuzlocke. I should probably do some kind of announcement, but who'll actually read it?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Both me and Spirit Shackle see LGPE as spin-offs, but in the end it's up to the every challenge's owner to decide what is best for their challenge (as with every game). Like I can see doing Monotype on LGPE, but not Nuzlocke. I should probably do some kind of announcement, but who'll actually read it?

I suppose you're right. As far as I'm concerned, I'm allowing it in Time Warp but something like Nuzlocke would be hard to do. The only way I could picture Nuzlocke working would be just stepping on a patch of grass, closing my eyes and counting the first pokemon to touch me as the team member. But I guess it's too tedious.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Alright, here goes!

Update on Ultimate Poison Monotype Challenge:

Update #1 on Y.

Name: Toxi
Starter: Chespin
  • After getting my starter, I caught Buzz the Weedle in Santalune Forest who will mainly be used for the first gym.
  • She was a pain to train up with only Poison Sting to start, but I eventually got her to evolve into Kakuna and then Beedrill.
  • Had to do a bit of grinding to get Buzz to L13 for Focus Energy, then it was time to challenge Viola.
  • Focus Energy really came in handy, helping Fury Attack to crit a lot of attacks to win me the badge.
  • Finally able to get to Route 4, I caught Thorn the Budew.
  • Started training him up on Route 4 and eventually got to Lumiose City, where I talked to the Professor about Mega Evolution.
  • Went through Route 5 and Camphrier Town to visit Parfum Palace.
  • After going through 4 Soothing Bags, Thorn evolved into Roselia!
  • Caught the sleeping Snorlax, then moved through the rest of Route 7 and defeated Trevor and Tierno alongside Calem.
  • Caught Phibia the Croagunk in the grass outside Connecting Cave, and then Countess the Zubat inside Connecting Cave.
  • Went through Route 8 to Ambrette Town and then rode the Rhyhorn to Glittering Cave.
  • Defeated Team Flare and found the Scientist, who gave me the Jaw Fossil.
  • Made my way to Cyllage City, where I got the Bike, and along the way, Countess evolved into Golbat!
  • After a bit more training, we took on the gym.
  • Grant wasn't too difficult. Amara needed a team effort to defeat, but Thorn OHKO'd Tyrunt with Giga Drain to win.
  • I am now saved on Route 10.
Screens:
Spoiler:

Team Toxi:
beedrill.gif

Buzz the Hardy Beedrill, ♀ - L20 @ Amulet Coin
Ability: Swarm
Moves: Poison Sting, Thief, Twineedle, False Swipe
golbat.gif

Cuountess the Serious Golbat, ♀ - L24 @ Poison Barb
Ability: Inner Focus
Moves: Bite, Wing Attack, Venoshock, Confuse Ray