• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] The PokeCommunity Game-Along IV: A New Gaming

Years
  • Okay, I don't think I'll finish (or even start) Monkey Island this month, so I decided to quickly switch to original Prince of Persia and did one fast run. Took me about 6 tries to get to the end and kill Jaffar. It's been years since I played this gem. I still remember the first time I beat it. I was 3 or 4 at the time, was in hospital and I and few other kids tried to beat it on hospital's computers.

Years
  • Finished Spyro 2. It was fun most of the time but also very tedious to deal with at others. Will have my journal entry up soon.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • Edit: Done! Finally! I've finished "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (N64)" again for the 40th time now lol. It's still a fantastic game, but it wasn't the best choice I could've made for this month. I had a lot to do and playing through it right now just got in the way. I did 100% it, (that means all levels, all treasures) and I even timed myself this time!
    Total playtime of all 17 levels ended at 7:44:10. Not bad for how rusty and unfocused I was going in!

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • *rolls in* I have to stop doing this but next month's post isn't up so I'm not late. Finished FF5! I had to rush it a lot in the end but I'm certain I'll play it again and may go back to this save sooner rather than later for extra endgame stuff too. Fantastic game!

Years

• December - Taking Turns

One of the first lessons you learn as a child for the last month of the year. There's probably something poetic to be said for that. Probably. December is all about patience. More specifically, it's about waiting your turn. During this month, you must play a game that is turn-based, mechanically.

Cherrim

Years
  • I think I'll probably go with PMD Explorers of Sky. I started a playthrough in October and got a few chapters in but had to table it for FF5, so hopefully the little head start will be enough to ensure I can actually finish the game before holiday madness takes over.

Also thank you for waiting until I'd updated to post this month's theme so I wasn't late. 😂

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • I can think of a few that I could pick for this... But after the difficulty I had getting Indiana done in time and wishing I'd have picked "Sands of Destruction" instead, I think I'll do that one now while I'm really in the mood for it.
    I think Inscryption is turn-based, so I hope it counts. i tried to avoid as many spoilers of it, so I have no idea if the turn-based card game from the trailers and all the materials is the main focus of the game.

As someone who's played an insane amount of Inscryption, it is indeed at it's core a fully turn based card game. And a fantastic card game at that! (at least IMO)

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • I got Octopath as a present back in the summer and haven't sunk much time into it yet. Looks like this month will be the time I finally sit down and work on it! :)

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Thought about replaying either Xenonauts or Golden Sun (the first one). Settled on Golden Sun. Wanted to replay that for longer.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Completed Golden Sun. Eh. Not terrible. Not great. Spammed basic attacks through too many random encounters while trying to fiddle with puzzles. Brought down the overall impression. Wrote the usual game journal entry on it.

Panda280

Panda280
    Years
  • Finished Andaron Saga. This is like a fire emblem main series game. It's so polished. The music is fire as well. It's super tough, but all units are really good.

Ullion

Years
  • Completed Golden Sun. Eh. Not terrible. Not great. Spammed basic attacks through too many random encounters while trying to fiddle with puzzles. Brought down the overall impression. Wrote the usual game journal entry on it.

I feel that. As much as I enjoyed the Golden Sun games and how interesting the combat can be, it never really ends up being that way. Even in major fights, you can get away with just auto-attacking with everyone while healing with your water adept and you'll eventually win. That and the large amounts of dialogue at points in the game (although TLA has an extraordinarily bad moment in the middle of it's game) brings the games down for me, although I still have a lot of nostalgia for those first two games.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • I'm finished with Sands of Destruction. It was honestly better than I remembered, though I actually spent time grinding levels this time instead of just blitzing the story, so I had a MUCH easier time going through it than on my first playthrough. I hadn't even reached the final area of the game when I checked my playtime between files, only to find out that I'd already gone 11 hours longer than an already completed file lol. Anyway, aside from a few very late game 'hang-ups', I had a wonderful time playing through that game again! I love the characters so much that I even added them to my sig lol. There really isn't much I can say that would do it justice. The combat style is so different from what I'm used to for turn based RPGs, there's a very surprising amount of voice acting for an old DS game, the story (while not always unique) is certainly engaging enough to want to see it through, THE SOUNDTRACK IS JUST...
    The PokeCommunity Game-Along IV: A New Gaming

I don't think there is a single song in the game that I'd call forgettable. The only issues I had were getting one of the final armors for one of the characters, and that some boss battles can be... Pretty BS when it comes to RNG. Not many, but they're there. My favorite game on the classic DS, and an easy 10/10.

Last edited:

Ullion

Years
  • Just finished Octopath Traveler! I really enjoyed the most parts of the game; The OST and sound effects, the pixel-style art and overall aesthetic and the slight deviations they make from the norm of a turn-based JRPG. The BP system, unique in-combat class abilities, the break/weakness system were all enjoyable.

I do have a couple negatives though. Primarily - it felt like every chapter for every character followed the exact same formula: 1. Arrive at a new town and watch a mini-cutscene take place for the character to witness. 2. Go around town and use that character's out-of-combat special skill as well as do some talking to people in town. 3. Go to an exclusive wilderness section attached to the town that is a path that leads to the primary wilderness section out of town. 4. Explore this wilderness area, fight wild monsters, loot chests and then find a save point right before the final encounter. 5. Rinse and repeat for each chapter for each character. Sadly this makes the experience overall pretty predictable and unenjoyable. That being said, the overall plot for some character's stories were nice and neat and at least the themes of each character's stories were varied.

Secondly: even though this game is a JRPG, and your characters do mechanically travel and fight as a party, they don't act like it and their personal stories don't ever address it either. As an example, in chapter 3 for Therion (the Thief), the boss exclaims "You came here alone! That was foolish of you!", or something along those lines. However, I had the standard party of 4 right there to fight. :/ In addition to this point, because the game treats each character's story as a solo experience narratively, the party quite literally never talks to each other outside of the "banter" mechanic. This mechanic only lets two of the characters that are actively in your party to have a very brief exchange after a specific story beat that only happens once per character pairing per chapter. This truely makes for a very... bizarre narrative experience within the JRPG genre. Since Devalue played Golden Sun this month, it also makes me contrast these two games in how wildly they choice of dialogue usage.

I know I talked a lot more about the negatives than I had the positives - but that's just how my mind works. I feel like I can nitpick the negatives of my experiences and explain them better, whereas I tend to generalize and quickly mention the positives of my experiences. This doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the game - I absolutely liked it. Hell, I still want to play more and finish the main stories of some of the other characters as well! I even plan to pick up the sequel shortly (or get it for christmas, who knows :p ). :D

Years
  • Beat Inscryption yesterday. On time. It was great one-in-a-lifetime experience. I don't want to spoil it here, but I love how it incorporated and blended together different mechanics from Yu-Gi-Oh!, Magic, Hearthstone and more cardgames. It dragged a little bit towards the end, but was still awesome game. I'll get to more details in my journal soon.

Cherrim

Years
  • Finished PMD Explorers of Sky tonight! (Look at me not leaving it to the last minute!) Thoughts will be in journal eventually, since I wanna do some postgame stuff first. I really enjoyed it though. Just as good as the first time I played.

Anyway, thank you once again gp for running the game-along event this year! This is one of the highlights of every month and I have so much fun picking a game and actually finishing it each month. I really appreciate the effort that goes into picking the themes and doing the write up each time!

Back