• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Today I learned...

Years
    TIL that people actually pay to have OnlyFans models posted around Reddit :o

Was job hunting and found that if I use the "reddit" keyword, so many postings pop up where I apparently have to spam their content around the appropriate subreddits at least 5 times a day, per model. Pay wasn't even that bad, could genuinely be a decent side gig lmao.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    TIL about different blending techniques for colored pencils. I've been using them wrong for such a long time! D:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Today I learned various other ways Owl is said in other languages.

Here's some of them: Strix, Eule, Uil and Coruja.
    As for why I was looking it up: I'm making an oc whose name is owl in another language.

Edit: today I learned that the Olympics location is not decided ahead of time and people place a bid to get in and the bid that wins is the country that holds the Olympics.

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    TIL Endometriosis exists. It's a sickness that 10-15% of all women have and that causes them severe pain during their cycle. Also, apparently most doctors don't even know it exists. So many may not get diagnosed properly and therefore have to suffer for years and may even be unable to get a child.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    TIL that aluminum can block radiofrequency waves but not the relatively low frequency waves such as AC mains (50 ~ 60 Hz depending on your country).

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    i'm going to scream i'm sorry

TODAY I LEARNED AN OVEN USES A FLAME TO COOK/BAKE FOOD.

I'M 25 AND I DIDN'T KNOW THIS I JUST ASSUMED AN OVEN JUST GETS REALLY HOT THROUGH TEMPERATURE TO COOK FOOD THIS IS NOT A JOKE I FEEL SO DUMB, EVERYONE.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    TIL that the reason high frequency doesn't travel that well underwater is basically because it's a good-ish conductor at midrange frequencies. I already knew that conductors were terrible at letting EM waves through, but didn't clock that was the reason.

I also learned about TARF and I'm impressed they managed to make it work at like -100 dB SNR, that seems like it'd be a nightmare to work with, tbh.

I'M 25 AND I DIDN'T KNOW THIS I JUST ASSUMED AN OVEN JUST GETS REALLY HOT THROUGH TEMPERATURE TO COOK FOOD THIS IS NOT A JOKE I FEEL SO DUMB, EVERYONE.

I mean, you're not wrong in that the relevant mechanism there is that it just gets a very hot bottom and then uses convection to heat whatever is in it. There are in fact ovens that don't use flames and use something else to heat up, like electricity.

But yeah, 99% of ovens use some kind of flame to work.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2022
    TIL that pulsatile tinnitus is caused by blood vessels being pushed against your eustacian tubes. This causes you to literally hear your blood pumping through those blood vessels. Which is a relief in a way because it means nothing is wrong with my hearing.

AlolanRattata

The Music Meister
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    It is probably a good idea to put A/C filter material over a laptops input vents in order to filter out the dust.

Years
    Til that Elizabethan era English poet and playwright Ben Jonson got into a duel with an actor named Gabriel Spenser. Jonson had been a soldier in the Netherlands during the Dutch revolt against Spain, so probably not a good target for Spenser to challenge to a duel, but Gabe might have been a person who needed to work on his diplomacy skills, to say the least. I read also that the actor had gotten into an argument with a goldsmith's son once, who reportedly threw a candelabra at him, so he responded by stabbing him to death through the eye. This time though it was Spenser who got himself killed, and Ben Jonson won the swordfight.

Jonson was arrested for murder after the duel, and expected to be hanged, but saved his skin by posing as a church cleric. He had made use of a holdover in English law from the medieval era, known as benefit of clergy, where a person connected with the church was shown leniency, or could even claim immunity in many legal proceedings, and be tried only in an ecclesiastical court by their peers. I knew this was part of the law during the middle ages, but hadn't heard of some of the creative ways that laypersons found of exploiting this loophole.

At this time the legal test for who could receive benefit of clergy was simply being able to read a passage from the bible. Literacy rates were low for the average person in Tudors England, so reading, especially in Latin, was considered a skill of the clergy. The church was one of the few institutions where a person would be taught to read. However, Jonson waa fortune enough to have received a classical education at a time where most people didn't have the opportunities to go to school, so he could read Latin too, if he felt like it, passed this test, and was released from jail. He just had to offer up goods in restitution, and had a mark put on his thumb. He was a colorful character indeed.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2022
    TIL that the spider on my ceiling (her name is Regina) is a spitting spider, Scytodes thoracica. They spit venomous webbing to paralyze their prey. Plus they eat house centipedes, which is handy.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
    TIL what Monster (the energy drink) tastes like. Never had it before. Not sure what flavor it was supposed to be (black can with green logo), but it tasted kinda like sour green apple. I'd probably drink it more if they weren't $3 in the vending machines.

Years
    • Seen today
    I tried blocking myself here on pokecommunity but apparently it doesn't work.

Today I learned...

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Today I learned Frylock from Aqua Teen Hunger Force is apparently a trans woman. Although, idk if this is canon, or not, so don't quote me on that, I just saw "is frylock female" on google and clicked it and it lead me to the fandom page.

Back