• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Today I learned...

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Today I learned Butch Hartman got hacked on Twitter dot com and people are using his account to try and sell NFTs.

I honestly don't know what people are trying to gain from this. As terrible as Butch Hartman has been in the more recent years, I don't think he'd be the type of person who would actually mint an NFT and try to sell it. I'm sure Twitter will fix it later, but the internet will not let it go.

Is it weird I have a tiny slither of faith in that Butch Hartman doesn't support NFTs, by the way?

Years
    Mall I regularly go to for groceries has a revamped department store for general goodies and I'm surprised to see they have really lovely looking artificial potted plants~ Kinda regretting ordering mine online now when the small footprint models I wanted were there all this time :<

Granted, they were pretty pricey compared to the ones I got, so I'd say not all is lost :3

Years
    TIL the Amitabha sutra, or rather, I read a translation of it from Chinese into English. It's one of the three primary sutras of Pure Land Buddhism, a major tradition among Mahayana branches of Buddhism in East Asia. The other main Pure Land sutras are the Infinite Life Sutra, and the Contemplation Sutra.

In this tradition of Buddhism Amitābha Buddha made a vow in a past life before he became a Buddha, and pledged that if he obtained Buddhahood he would receive all sentient beings from different worlds in his Pure Land of Bliss, after they die, should they called on him for help during life. Even saying his name one time, could be enough to summon him, if it was your sincere wish. So the main practice of this form of Buddhism became chanting the name Amitābha Buddha to seek rebirth to the Pure Land. Amita means immeasurable, bha means light, together this means it's the Buddha of Immeasurable Light.

The sutra I read described the Pure Land and included nice, peaceful inspiring illustrations to accompany the text. It talks of a world free from all the sufferings we experience in this life, a place containing fabulously carved pavillions and staircases where Amitābha Buddha can be found. This environment is filled with wondrous music and fragrances, along with a host of exotic animals like cranes, peacocks and even supernatural birds that have quirky details like more than one head. In this wonderland flowers can fall out of the sky, instead of ordinary rain, and jewels grow on the trees like fruit. There are sacred ponds of wisdom that have magical stones in the water, and giant lotuses that come in colors not found anywhere else in nature.

As a Westerner reading it I thought of heaven, but one important difference between the two concepts is that the Pure Land is not meant to be the permanent place where you spend the afterlife, instead it's more like a magical school you visit that prepares you for the journey to Nirvana. If you didn't become enlightened at the time of your death, then you keep getting chances after death, and the Pure Land is an special location where you can continue to work toward enlightenment after you have passed away, with Buddha to show you how. The Pure Land is a way to expedite the process of awakening, rather than undergoing reincarnation countless times before arriving at that state of mind.

The idea is that most people don't fully awaken in one life time, it's a process of self-work that can take many lifetimes, so that's why you are reborn in another life, where you live and die again as a different person or life form, and keep returning until you have become enlightened, and break the connection to this life at last. Because life is never without suffering, the Pure Land is a more appealing place that you can be reborn into to learn if you don't want to stay in the cycle of reincarnation to do it, but haven't evolved to a point where you can go to Nirvana either. It's one pathy of many that leads to the same place.

After reading about the evils that this Dobson fellow has inflicted on innocent children and animals I thought I might find something uplifting to post in this thread to cheer folks up.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Today I learned Indian currency is called Rupees and 100,000 rupees is called lakh rupees. That's really cool, actually. Now, I wonder if Zelda was inspired by this since they have something called Rupees in that universe. I'm not sure how much Indian inspiration is in Zelda, someone who is a Zelda fan would know, probably.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    double post please don't ban me omg

Today I learned about the concept of the double cousin. This is when two siblings marry into the same family (example, I guess: a straight man marrying a woman & I guess his sister marrying her brother's brother-in-law) then their children would be doubly related, or double cousins.

Double cousins apparently share 25% of DNA as opposed to first cousins which share 12.5% dna.
    I don't know who would want to marry their sibling's in-law, though, that's weird. But apparently legal and people apparently actually do this. Their life, I guess.

Sorry for a straight only example.

And sorry for the weird fact, I was curious about something.

Last edited:
    Years
    Til that Jain monastics pull their hair out when they take vows. I don't mean that they cut their hair short with a pair of scissors, or shave it even with a razor, literally every strand of hair on your head is yanked out, one by one from your scalp. This initiation ritual is called kaya klesh.

It looks so painful that I wanted to cry watching people undergo this rite of passage in a documentary. None of the Jains I saw cried though, or showed any signs of pain actually. They remained calm and dignified through the entire process, both men and women, such was their willpower. There was this was one girl who wanted to become a nun, and she was beyond controlled, she seemed on another plain of existence. She actually started smiling as her hair was plucked out. That's how serene she was, and happy about the life she was going to lead. The monks and nuns ritually pull out their hair like this every year, twice a year.

I admire the Jains, and think that some of the beliefs they hold sound very interesting, like how the world is made of Ajiva, and every living thing having a soul, and followers of Jainism go through great not to injure any life form for this reason. The monastics walk barefoot and even gently sweep the ground before they take a step outside to try to move insects away and protect them from being crushed.

As I understand it Gandhi, while not a Jain himself, was influenced in some ways by thejr traditions.

Years
    TIL about pangrams (phrases that contain at least one of each letter). While writing for the writing challenge, I wanted to write something that used every letter at least once so I could show how I write all my letters. I know the famous one "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" but I remember reading somewhere another version that sounded much cooler. In pursuit of knowledge, I found out that these kinds of phrases are called pangrams. The website I found listed pangrams in English and so many other languages, some I didn't even know existed. And yes, I did end up finding the one I was vaguely remembering: "Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow"

https://clagnut.com/blog/2380/#:~:text=Pangrams are words or sentences,jumps over the lazy dog .

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    Today I learned that Boris Johnson, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, was actually born and raised in the US. He also recently renounced his American citizenship.

From my Latin American point of view, that... surely explains a lot about his political positions and opinions. It's at once hilarious and terrifying.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Today I learned that Boris Johnson, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, was actually born and raised in the US. He also recently renounced his American citizenship.

From my Latin American point of view, that... surely explains a lot about his political positions and opinions. It's at once hilarious and terrifying.

Bonus fact: his actual, real name is Alexander de Pfeffel. I adore that tidbit of info.

Years
    An ant keeps running when cut in half.
    Really, my attempt to kill one ended up in this situation. I wouldn't normally kill a black ant, but the house is infested.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    .............. all of this + Vielleroue's post has me going wHAT rn

He's also the grandson of Osman Kemal, whose father, Ali Kemal, was Interior Minister of the Ottoman Empire in 1919.

The man who run a referendum campaign with a scare about Turks invading Britain is the grandson of a Turk. Fun times!

(So, summary: Alexander de Pfeffel, aka Boris Johnson, is an American, born in NY, from the family of a Turkish Government official and the German nobility, specifically the Von Pfeffel family. He's now the UK prime minister, running a xenophobic, British-nationalist, anti-European, anti-migration party that specifically attacked Turkey as a muslim peril. Aint life fun?)

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Today I learned Ruby Kurosawa from Aqours has never been center, ever, in an animated love live song (not including video game mvs) and that's a shame.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Learned about elephant teeth. Possesses four molars in their mouth. Wears down over time. Eventually falls out to let the next set take over. Weighs up to five pounds per molar.

Burns through six sets in their lifetime. Usually results in the elephant dying after losing their last set. Cannot eat food anymore.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    More of a realization than "learning", I suppose:

I liked to draw stuff/daydream during class especially when my teachers taught stuff that I didn't care about. When I left school and I was confronted with the harshships of life I picked up the habit of looking for random software, mostly programming editors and drawing software. I never stuck with any piece of software, though, because I could never do anything productive with them.

So recently I got to think that maybe I wasn't looking for something that makes me more productive. But rather something that I can use the same way that I used paper and pencil during those classes. It's just that work life/society is so obsessed with being productive and generating profit that this sort of silly doodling is frowned upon and made out to be such a bad thing and that you have to "grow up".

But I don't think that this sort of distraction is all that bad. The human brain is not made to work the way we work nowadays. Even with the breaks we get we still have to deal with long sprints where we have to be productive. But much like how breaks in school didn't prevent us from drawing during class in order to collect ourselves so does a break during work not suffice by itself.

Years
    This was sometime recently, but TIL there's a fifth food flavor profile. There's sweet, sour, bitter, and salty, but the fifth (less known) profile is called "umami". I'll be honest, even after looking it up, I don't really know what it's supposed to be. All the foods I found that were considered umami all seemed so vastly different from each other- tomatoes, cheese, sardines, seaweed, mushrooms, and other things.

Years
    TIL the housing market in my province is booming so hard. They're literally flying off the shelves and it's getting hard for my partner to find a decent one to buy for her family at the moment.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Learned about cats also taking prednisone for inflammation issues (among other things). Expected different medicine for animals. Technically prescribes prednisolone for cats. Cannot convert prednisone to prednisolone like humans and dogs.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Today I learned Thundurus shoots tornados at you in the water in Legends Arceus. How do I battle it that way? What should I do to make it easy to send out my Pokemon so it get stunned?

Back