• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Today I learned...

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Today I learned Frylock from Aqua Teen Hunger Force is apparently a trans woman. Although, idk if this is canon, or not, so don't quote me on that, I just saw "is frylock female" on google and clicked it and it lead me to the fandom page.
    This is technically canon. In the movie Frylock admitted he was AFAB and had gotten surgery. In a later live-action episode he is played by T-Pain, reinforcing that Frylock is meant to be 100% male coded.

Today I learned that anti-rejection medication for organ transplants is made specifically for the individual patient. Which makes perfect sense when I think about it - no organ nor person is ever the same. But idk for some reason I just assumed there was like a "one size fits all" anti-rejection medication.

Years
    Til the chia seed takes it's name from the word for "strength" among the ancient Mayans. Warriors of Maya civilization attributed their stamina to consuming seeds of the plant, and used them not only in food, but in rituals and medicine. They were observant, because chia seeds are full of calcium, fiber, anti-oxidants omega 3 fatty acids and other vitamins, all the good stuff associated with reduced risk of cancer, heart and bone diseases, and improving blood sugar levels. They left behind pyramids, art, math, writing astronomy and calendar systems, so leave it to the visionary Mayans to also identify a super food while they were at it :)

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Today I learned that not all my friends are true friends...
    A hard lesson to learn but a valuable one. I hope things get better.

TIL that there was a soft-shelled turtle fossil found in North Dakota that dates back to the Cretaceous period! One of the earliest find in its genus. So cool! ଘ(੭ˊ꒳ˋ)੭✧

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Today I learned that airplanes don't have free WiFi?? Wtf??

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    TIL that the L'Hôpital rule from calculus wasn't actually invented by L'Hôpital but rather by Johann Bernoulli.

I also learned that this same Bernoulli plagiarized his own son some years later.

Years
    Through reading, today I learned how habits are formed, either consciously or unconsciously. I shall use this information to form better habits that stick and shape me into a person I actually want to be~

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Today I learned that despite class enrollment starting next monday, the department has no idea what classes they'll offer this term.

🙃

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Today I learned Breath of the Wild was released on the Wii U and Switch. I didn't know that Does it even play well on the Wii U?
    I don't own the game, I have anime Breath of the Wild (Genshin Impact) but now I'm curious if it was any good on the Wii U.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Okay so idk I'd this counts because I've always been interested in fish… but TIL that I could be a really, really baller Ichthyologist, specifically in the fields of illness, parasites, growth, and environmental care.

I took a university level test and ranked the highest possible score. :x

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Today I learned about the...infamous fan anime Neko Sugar Girls.

Thanks, Conner the Waffle, I hate it.

Today I learned about the...infamous fan anime Neko Sugar Girls.

Thanks, Palamon, I hate it.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Today I learned about Nikocado Avocado.

I wish I hadn't. I already don't like food all that much. Learning people making a career out of mukbang is honestly terrifying to me.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    Today I learned about Nikocado Avocado.

I wish I hadn't. I already don't like food all that much. Learning people making a career out of mukbang is honestly terrifying to me.

Ditto here. I'm still haunted by this knowledge myself.

Anyway, to lighten up things, I read about the history of linguistics as a discipline/science today. And I learned that even after 2500 years of a constant tug of war, the core debate over whether language should be seen as a set of rules (theory) or as a resource (practice) remains. It's hilarious.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Learned about James Dobson. Wrote books on how to discipline children. Advocated corporal punishment. Spoilered part of the Wikipedia article below. Quoted a Huffpost article by Barbara Falconer Newhall for the other. Warns about abusive behavior in them.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Do not be like James Dobson.

Years
    James Dobson.

Christ I hate people like that. For a psychologist he sure has a piss poor understanding of how the human brain works. And he's cruel to animals too, just to add fuel to the fire. It is a miracle nobody has given him a severe taste of his own medicine yet.

Back