• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] Was Cynthia hard to beat for you?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I beat her and the whole E4 on the first try, but I don't think I'd say I beat her "easily" either. Was interesting how in a game that's a bit too faithful of a remake, they bothered to try make the League a little tougher. I was a bit surprised to see the AI (or Cynthia's at least, idr if the E4 did) bother to switch Pokemon mid-battle, that's an extreme rarity for them.

Years
  • Her Milotic and Gastrodon took forever to take down due to being bulky as heck.
    Outside of that all i needed was to stal Garchomp's Earthquakes out and it was an easy win.
    But holy heck did I sit on front of that Milotic forever rofl.

So not hard per se, just tedious.

JDragon921

THE gen 4 guy. or not. idk.
    Years
  • On my 1st playthrough using my old team, I beat her first try. I had items and affection on my side though. On my 2nd playthrough, I had a different team and no items in battle. I don't remember whether or not I beat her on my first try, but I did win after a while. Her team still has those old flaws but is still put together really well, and I had a ton of fun fighting her. Both times challenged me a lot and had to make me think. The AI being good and using abilities as well as possible was really cool, since you don't actually see that a whole lot(ex. if you spam water moves on her pokemon, she'll switch to storm drain gastrodon).

Don't really need to get my ass handed to me 7 times to get challenged, and Cynthia is a perfect example of that. Probably one of the best champion fights that don't want to just throw a bunch of bulky waters or dragons at you.

Years
  • She wasn't super hard, but she definitely made me work for the win. I didn't have anything on my team for Gastrodon and Garchomp is, you know, Garchomp.

Years
  • First battle wasn't close so I reset and tried again after changing my Pokémon order around. In that second battle (battle #2) I got so so close - like, all she had left was Garchomp at like 2HP. But it had used Swords Dance at that point and was faster than my entire team, so I couldn't get any more hits in and lost. The third time I decided to go train my team to lv. 70 and even then only managed to win with crit luck. :'D But a win is a win! This is a fun battle.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2023
    Her Milotic was a pain to deal with and took forever to take down. But I got lucky with her Garchomp, my Clefable tanked two hits from it and managed to land a critical hit.

Anxiety's cut your blood Chasing all your ghosts
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2023
    It is not an easy win for me. I had to stock up on full restores and revives and relied on the affection my pokemon team had for me.

Years
  • Yeah it took me a few tries - mainly because of the Milotic. Had to stall it out for a bit..

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    It was a struggle taking down her garchomp and if he didn't use earthquake after that sword dance boost, I wouldn't able to win that battle as I was little left behind when facing her as it twarted my team. That was miracle that able to endure 1-hit kill so to buy some extra time.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • First battle wasn't too hard for me until her Garchomp came in and used Swords Dance, at which point I had to keep using Revives and wait until Dragon Rush missed before finishing it off

Years
    • Seen today
    Didn't win on first try, but honestly Flint gave me more trouble than Cynthia and made me restart quite a few times due to how luck based his strategies are.

Managed to get rid of Affection bonusses so I could enjoy a more fair and challenging league. Ultimately defeated Cynthia's team with Bibarel and Drifblim, almost a Bibarel solo, but getting Poison Pointed by Roserade complicated things a bit :)

Years
  • Managed to beat her and the Elite 4 first time, because I knew what Pokémon to expect, but dang if they didn't have proper strategies to compensate for their teams being a bit basic.

Cynthia's Garchomp having a Yache Berry, Flint's Drifblim using Minimize and Baton Pass, for starters? They're simple but effective strategies that we don't often see in main-series games. Neat to see.

Still haven't bothered taking them on for Rojnd 2 yet, I think they'd kick my ass this time.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • While I nearly lost, it was mainly due to hitting the wrong move which threw everything out of whack fighting Cynthia. However, Empoleon pulled off some anime crap and survived with 1 HP because of friendship three times against Garchomp. That was her last pokemon and because of that, I beat her with two ice beams. I took them all out in a single try.

And if I had lost, I still had Electivire which I would have sacrificed so that I could use one of the three Max Revives I had.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Yeah, took me awhile to beat her so I eventually just got tired of losing and cheesed it with Revives. Cynthia is no joke in these games.

Years
  • I lost to her on my first try. I haven't tried again yet because I've been preoccupied with Legends Arceus but I started playing SP again today and am training my team more and am going to try again

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2022
    Milotic was a little difficult after paralyzing it but the possible stun helps, Garchomp was taken out by my Drifblim and Destiny Bond. All in all fight took about 10 minutes.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I saved right before facing her. The first battle was a complete stall match with her Milotic. She one shot my Togekiss and Milotic with Mirror Coat. The rest of my team didn't fare well against it, so I did some shuffling with Revives. When I finally got to her last Pokemon, Garchomp, my Togekiss ran out of Dazzling Gleam. I lost.

After I soft reset, the next attempt went better since I knew Cynthia's Pokémon moves. The easiest one to defeat was Lucario both times. The most difficult was still the Milotic... Milotic's Recover and Flame Orb activated ability were troublesome.

Flint's Drifblim with Strength Sap and Minimize was so comically frustrating. Once I let Drifblim get away with Minimize one time, that was it. I was having trouble hitting it. I used the battle items like X Accuracy and X SpAtk to cheese through.

Last edited:
    Back