• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What order did you do Johto gyms in?

Years
  • In Johto games, around beating Morty, you have the option of going left towards Olivine (and Cianwood) or right towards Mahogany. The story doesn't lock you in a single direction, and you're free to choose where you want to go at that point.

Which way do you usually go? Do you tend to beat Jasmine and Chuck first, or have you gone to Pryce in Mahogany more often?

Years
  • As a kid, I really didn't register the freedom the first two generations actually gave you in doing the (middle few) gyms in any order.

The fact that they're laid out in a specific order on the Trainer Card was enough for me to follow that order, even if their level distributions are all similar (and rather low). So I always did Chuck, Jasmine, Pryce. By the time it came to beating Pryce, I was always very ready to be done with Team Rocket and wanted to blast on to the League.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • First time I played Crystal to completion, I went in the order laid down in the Trainer card - Chuck, then Jasmine, then Pryce. The second time, however, I had set foot on all available cities, so I challenged Jasmine first, then Chuck, and finally Pryce.

Might actually try challenging Pryce first next time I play though, just for fun.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I think the first time I went towards Pryce - I wanted that Red Gyarados - and then the next few playthroughs I probably did the same (I used to beat a game 2-3 times in the same number of months when I first bought it) but in my most recent save I went out to Chuck first, and once the Safari Zone was unlocked I basically stopped progressing whilst I finally got the hang of it (Bulbapedia walkthroughs help).

Usually it depends on how many Water-types I have in my team (usually use 2 in Johto). If I have Politoed / Feraligatr / Slowpoke I'll go to Mahogany Town. Otherwise I speed down to Olivine City so I can use my Lure Balls on the likes of Chinchou and Horsea.

This flexibility in gym orders is my favourite feature of the Kanto and Johto games.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I usually always just do it in the order you're supposed to unless Jasmine frustrates me to the point I want to skip her. If I ever replay SoulSilver again, though, I'm going to try to do Pryce first since he's a cakewalk to begin with, anyway, lol.

Still find it rather ridiculous that Pryce's Pokemon aren't even in the 30s when you fight him. Freedom to choose, or not.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    It's always been the intended order for me. Never saw much reason to do it in any other order. Especially considering that in order to battle Jasmine, you have to go to Cianwood first, so might as well fight Chuck while you're there. You get Fly too, which cuts out a lot of the leg work you'd have to do if you chose to do them in a different order.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I think I've varied the order a couple times. When I go for a more optimized playthrough then it's going left first because that's were you get a bunch of useful HMs (Strength and Fly) that make the overall exploration a lot more straightforward and cuts out a lot of walking back and forth.

But whenever I don't mind aimlessly wandering about I may also go right first. I might even do that before beating Morty, even though you can't really progress in the story without Surf at that point.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I always go to the left, because I want to fish for a Chinchou and while I am at it I may as well go all the way to Chuck. Also because Fly makes backtracking easier.

Years
  • I don't think I've ever went for Pryce first. I have the Chuck-Jasmine-Pryce route burned in my brain so much, that I can't really imagine going right and then backtracting all the way back. I should probably try it.

Years
    • Seen today
    First playthrough I didn't even realize I could have done Pryce first, I just went with the game's flow and did Chuck first.

After that, still allways done Chuck first to get Fly as early as possible. And in the remakes there's even more reason due to the Safari Zone adding quite a few interesting Pokémon that were post-game exclusive in the original GSC.

Years
    • Seen today
    Chuck to Jasmine to Pryce.

I will go towards Pryce and get the tedious rocket base out of the way first, but I won't usually challenge him.

Years
  • I always do the gyms in the correct order that they are meant to be done in

Violet City
    Azalea Town
    Goldenrod City
    Ecruteak City
    Cianwood City
    Olivine City
    Mahogany Town
    Blackthorn City

The only time I didn't was in Platinum as I beat the gyms in the order they appear in Diamond & Pearl

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I always battle Chuck first since he has the lowest levels and you unlock Fly after beating him. Saves the effort of having to go through the sea route multiple times.

I usually try to battle every possible trainer/grunt before battling Jasmine and Pryce. The order in which I battle them is not set in stone for every playthrough since they are both around the same level.

Back