• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film What was the last movie you watched?

Years
  • Luca (2021)

Imo, this was Pixar's attempt at a Ghibli film, but they didn't quite pull it off.

Still it was really enjoyable (miles better than Soul) and I will watch it quite often I think :)

Years
  • Snowpiercer (2013). Capitalism portrayed in a claustrophobic setting. Unnerving and fun at the same time. Don't let a pregnant lady hold a sub-machine gun.

Years
  • I watched a movie called Phaedra a couple of days ago from 1962. It was a modern adaptation of the Euripedes play Hippolytus. Hippolytus was the son of the amazon Hippolyta and Greek hero Theseus, who slayed the minotaur. I remember reading this Freshman year, and feeling mad about how Hippolytus was treated for only trying to do the right thing. The classical version is that when Theseus is an aging king, he marries Phaedra, but through the machinations of the Greeks Gods, she ends up falling in love instead with Theseus' devoted son Hippolytus, and destruction ensues.

Instead of a king, the movie makes Theseus a powerful Greek business mogul named Thanos, and his son by his first wife is called Alexis, rather than Hippolytus. Hippolytus is traditionally this heroic and pure-hearted Percival figure who is tested, but will not give into temptation, an stays good, but this Hippolytus "Alexis" is more troubled and shows human frailties quickly.

It stars Anthony Perkins as Alexis, Melina Mercouri as Phaedra and Raf Vallone as Thanos. I saw that this movie received very mixed reviews looking at the comments, some people loved it, others thought it was over-the-top, but I personally thought it was well-made, visually it was very stylish, and I thought the three leads were all written as very complicated characters, and played the roles with intensity. I especially liked the confrontation scene between father and son.

I loved the performance of the father Thanos the most, I felt bad for him because he was a hard-working man, and was a loving husband to Phaedra. I felt that there was nothing he would not do for her, and he wanted so badly to share his life with his son too, and to make them both happy. I found Mr. Vallone also devestatingly good-looking. Not that Anthony Perkins wasn't also interesting, but I would never have left this father, for any son.

Spoiler:

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    MiB International
    It was actually very MiB-y, quite true to the original style. Enjoyable, albeit quite predictable. Nowhere near as good as MiB II ofc :3

Bay

Years
  • I started watching the first two Hunger Game movies for the first time. I've read the books a while back but not seen the films until now. I heard some people prefer the movies due to them showcasing scenes with other characters like President Snow more and how the books' first-person POV hurt Katniss as a narrator. I think I enjoyed them a lot so far, looking forward to checking out Mockingjay two parter!

Years
  • Our Idiot Brother. GF and I watched it last night since we both love Paul Rudd (but who doesn't?), and it was a really nice little movie! Pretty lighthearted comedy, gets a little heavy towards the end but all in all, great feel good movie. I love that it stays around 1h 30m, seems like so many movies coming out are over two hours and it is nice to have these relaxing short movies to decompress with.

Years
  • I went to the cinema for a "screen unseen" event a few days ago. Basically, you don't know what you're seeing until the film starts.

This time we got Another Round starring Mads Mikkelsen. It was an interesting watch. I won't spoil it for anyone, though I was extremely disappointed at the way it glorified excessive alcohol consumption.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    Just watched Nobody with Bob Odenkirk and it was probably my favorite movie ever. Most likely gonna have to make a separate appreciation thread for that masterpiece unless it's already been done

Years
  • Despite being really busy, I still found time to sneak to the cinema for an advance screening of Black Widow :)

It felt amazing seeing a new Marvel movie on the big screen again after all the problems these last two years!

I won't spoil the film, but I will say that it wasn't as good as I'd hoped, although that didn't stop Florence Pugh from completely stealing the show!

Also... you might want to avoid paying too much attention to the opening credits. There was a name featured very prominently, and in the second half of the film they still hadn't shown up, so the "major twist" was completely spoiled for me, including the actor, just from watching the opening credits 🙄

Years
  • I saw Space Jam 2 last night lmao.

It wasn't horrible but it wasn't good... it was nice to go back to the theater after not being able to for a year.

Years
  • Just watched The Babysitter & its sequel.

They were a lot more fun than I was expecting! The first one is definitely the better movie, but the second one is still worth a watch :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    Just saw Taken last night. Wasn't nearly as good as the first watch years back but still a classic revenge flick

Back