• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What would you add to a pokemon game to make it perfect

SadOldMan

Developer/Epic Gamer/Humanoid Entity
    Years
    If you guys were allowed to create you own pokemon game. What function or mecanics would you add to the game to make it the most complete game of pokemon.
    Im thinking of stuff like make full open World or make 3d or whatever.
    What would you add to a pokemon game to make it perfect

Years
    adjustable difficulty levels. and make it interchangeable on the fly even when i've already started the game, in case i change my mind in the future. to me this instantly bridges the divide between casual fans who just play for the story and new pokemon, and the serious gamers who want more of a challenge.

that and get rid of dynamax. we all know megas are still better.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
    There will need to be a ton of features and improvements to make the perfect Pokémon game for me: full 3D with a moveable camera plus a minimap, improving rideable Pokémon (not like Sun and Moon but like Final Fantasy 14), better animations, better optimization, Scrafty buff, better graphics, returning features such as Pokémon World Tournament and Battle Frontier, customizable online battles (not being forced into battling with a 20 minute total battle timer would be great), better narrative by letting the player choose their own adventure (I was thinking the kid grabs 8 badges and defeats bad guy can be one option a player can take), more options for character customization, free form mode for battles like in Dragon Quest 11, an option to skip cutscenes, and an option to speed up battles like in DQ11. There's probably more but I'll stop there for now.

Since you are talking about the games in particular, I've moved your thread to Pokémon Gaming Central.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I'd incorporate a job system.

When you reach a town you would get your usual Poke Center, Poke Mart, but also a sort of guild building. In such a building you could sign up your Pokemon to learn certain jobs. They'd start out at level 1 of the respective job and every time the job ranks up they'd get a new job ability.

Example: as a level 1 gardener a Pokemon would learn how to "cut" plants. With this ability it could help the player exploring by cutting down bushes much like the move Cut did, but without taking up a move slot. Additional there could be some sort of tournament where you could play minigames that make use of the respective job's ability.
    Using the ability and partaking in tournaments gives them job experience and at some point they could level up.

The point of this is to make the players party useful outside of battles again. Ever since the HM system was abolished they kind of lost any purpose outside of being "tools of war " (being used in battle). This could also make good use in an open world game as you could kind of handhold the player in the early parts of the game until their Pokemon got some more experience to handle the later parts.

Also: did I mention that this doesn't take up a moveslot?

Years
    • Seen today
    -Difficulty settings, and better AI for all trainers, not just the important ones.

-At least in the higher difficulty, give the opposing trainers more compelling strategies and movesets, and give them access to holding items like B2/W2 Challenge mode does. With all the fun and interesting items that exist, it's just stupid that all items trainers know about are basically: Full Restore, Sitrus Berry, and whatever gen-specific thing (Mega stone, Z-Crystals, etc.)

-Optional level cap, for those who don't like finding ourselves overlevelled because of exp. share, or because we went off the main path doing optional stuff and accidentally ended up five levels above the next gym leader or whatever important fight.

-Increase the average amount of Pokémon trainers have. It's hilarious to see so many trainers even in the late-game using just one or two Pokémon. And I still don't understand why the Elite Four still have five Pokémon when at that point in the game every player is going to obviously have a full team.

-Either remove or revamp how IVs/EVs work. Part of the reason why they make the games easy is so that everyone can beat them without having to bother with the most boring and tedious aspect of these games: Breeding and EV training. Spending more time on repetitive, grindy, garbage mechanics to build "perfect Pokémon" than you do actually having fun playing the game isn't good, and the developers know it. That's why they basically leave this as post-game/competitive stuff so that players who just want to enjoy the game can completely ignore it, instead of finding a way to implement it more organically into the games and do something interesting and fun with it.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
    What I like the most about Pokémon games is exploration and completing the Dex. So my ideal Pokémon game would first of all have all of its Pokémon available without trading, and be structured like this:
    1. Larger routes with optional areas - one of the reasons why I loved the Gen 3 and especially Gen 4 games is the presence of many side areas that could only be accessed later in the game with HMs such as Waterfall, Surf, and Rock Climb. While I'd rework the HM system to be independent from HM slaves (an easy way would be to have any Pokémon who would be able to learn a given HM move be able to use it outside battle without needing to learn the move itself), having routes this large would leave plenty of space for exploration without the need for a full open-world. These side-areas off routes could then lead to completely optional areas, which brings me to the next point...
    2. The point the whole game would be based on is an expansive regional Dex, numbering somewhere between 600 and 700 Pokémon able to be obtained in a single game, including starters.
    3. Combining the previous two points is how I'd make such a large number of Pokémon available without making the game feel bloated with too many available Pokémon. The main Pokémon available in routes would roughly be the same, with a few species being predominant - but in my ideal game there would be multiple methods of obtaining Pokémon such as smashing rocks, headbutt or honey trees (with a few Pokémon species exclusive to these methods) as well as rustling grass and rippling water (and this would be imho the ideal way of making starters available - for example having them only be available in maybe one route in the entire game with a very small percentage in rustling grass only). Swarms would also be a thing.
      Ideally, no normal route would have the same set of available Pokémon as another, but the variations would be slight and mostly limited to rare Pokémon (5% or less appearance chance, or phenomena-exclusive ones), and of course there should be a broader variation of time-based appearance chance, so for example one Pokémon is only available in the morning or in the night, or maybe another is extremely rare at a particular time of the day and slightly more common during another. Basically, all things that have already been done in Pokémon games, but... somehow using them at greater depth.
      Then, the optional areas come into play - these would have their own sets of available Pokémon, with some species exclusive to one or few of these areas, and even rarer Pokémon could be hidden in hard-to-reach, limited areas (such as the Bagon room in Meteor Falls or the area in Wayward Cave containing wild Gible). And of course these areas would all need some backtracking to previously-visited areas to be accessed. Some Pokémon would also be special encounters tied to days of the week such as e.g. Lapras in Union Cave or Drifloon at the Valley Windworks.
    4. Having more methods of finding Pokémon could also be used to encounter different forms. I was thinking of the availability of Basculin in Unova where one variant is found in normal water and the other in rippling water - this could also be extended to fishing and surfing, as in e.g. having one form of Basculin only available while surfing, and the other only while fishing. Another way of handling different forms that I thought of was with Oricorio's four forms: I'd have three of them exclusive to a given time of the day, and the other one available through another method (maybe headbutt or honey trees).

Another thing that could add to variety in exploration is to have different Pokémon variants all available within a region, so that maybe a particular area would host a variant form - not necessarily as developed as a regional variant, but even just like the two forms of Shellos/Gastrodon. I was thinking of how in the anime the Orange islands had their aesthetic variants of Pokémon found elsewhere, a game like this could have the same mechanic in isolated areas.

TL;DR: my ideal Pokémon game would be focussed on exploration and catching Pokémon, taking to the extreme the use of side areas and plenty of methods of encountering wild Pokémon. The plot would be very minimal and not related to any legendary/mythical Pokémon (which would be found in side areas) - basically like the Gen 1 and 2 games.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    Note: I am not advocating for all of these in one game, just saying these are things that I would like to see.
    1. Open World
    2. MMORPG (A pipedream, perhaps, but I can dream)
    3. Character Classes/Jobs
    4. Difficulty Sliders
    5. Preventing hacked pokemon completely (The best way to do this is to make it an mmo, actually)
    6. Some way to improve pokemon past level 100 in the story.
    7. No battle items. Doesn't make sense from a anime stand point.
    8. Survival mechanics. Think of how ash and co had to survive traveling from city to city in different environments.
    9. Chooseable gym order.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    follow me feature all day everyday also alolan dugtrio is available

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    well I was thinking about bringing back the "mom's bank' feature from gold/silver where you could send money home to your mom, I think it even earned interest?

But more to this topic, I'm thinking ng+, and always being able to check ivs and evs from the menu like the action replay code.
    oh and bigger move pools that you can access through move tutors. It was always disappointing for me for learned moves, or tms to suddenly just be gone, between games.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    As many others have said, difficulty options. I don't understand why this isn't a feature.

Through difficulty options alone, it would now appeal to both new and older players who want more of a challenge.

Squirtlenator

[color=#cecfc4]Hasta La Vista, Baby[/color]
    Years
    I have a TON of ideas that I would like to implement into a game and think would make the perfect experience. At the risk of writing a novel, I'll just point out the highlights or backbone of my game suggestions.

As for the world - something graphically and game play wise akin to The Breath of the Wild. A living, breathing, and dynamic world. The freedom to go wherever you wanted and plot your own journey to become a Pokemon master. The ability to fight gyms and acquire badges in any order - Pokemon level scaling (Pokemon Origins hinted at this).

Underwater exploration

Pokemon in the overworld. Put them in locations that make sense, so Ice types in a snow filled environment. Also, restrict players into certain biomes if they don't have the proper clothing i.e. winter jacket in the snow.

Fly battle mechanics from Gen 6. You could also introduce "Dive battles" where the trainer is only allowed to use water types.

Put type restrictions on surfing battles. So water, flying, and mons that know how to swim (surf) would only be able to participate.

As for the battle system - There's two approaches to this.1) The first is the more traditional turn based system like we currently have. Pokemon animations would need a huge overhaul though. Think Pokemon Battle Revolution, Colosseum, Stadium, and Gale of Darkness but, better. I want water coming out of Blastoise's cannons or flamethrower coming out of the mouth of any fire mon.
    2) The second would be something like Pokkén Tournament. When you enter a battle you would fight like the Pokkén games.

Make moves and movesets realistic, logical, and grounded in reality. If a mon is not part poison than they shouldn't be able to learn poison type moves. If a mon has a 4x weakness to water than they shouldn't be able to learn surf. I'm looking at you Rhydon. This would significantly increase difficulty - mons wouldn't have access to a lot of the coverage moves that they do now.

Increase difficulty or better yet have different difficulty selections

Make HMs field moves. (Refer to Radical Red rom) If a mon can normally learn that HM than it should appear in the menu when you have highlighted them. HMs shouldn't take up move slots

Reusable TMs

The itemfinder look and mechanics from HGSS or Gen 5. XY and ORAS mechanics worked well but, I didn't like the look of the device i.e. water finding sticks and funny looking device the trainer wears on their head. For items underwater the itemfinder could be upgraded to the scanner or have the scanner feature added on.

Gen 6 berry planting and growing mechanics

Gym battles like the anime where you only battle the gym leader and are only allowed to use the same amount of mons as them i.e. 1 v 1 or 2 v 2. Increase their difficulties and give them cool and interesting battle tactics and strategies. Also, if battling on water have the above mentioned type restrictions.
    side note: You could have a task to complete or a challenge to beat before battling for a badge. Gen 7 was on to something but, I think they dropped the ball when it came to
    execution. What if for a bug type leader you had to participate in the local bug catching contest and beat them before they will challenge you. Or what about a surfing race on the
    back of your surfer? What about a water gun target mini game that you need to beat the leader before battling for a badge (refer to the Pokemon Orange Island episodes with
    Cissy). Maybe you need to collect certain berries or flowers before battling the grass type leader.

Fishing like in Gens 1-6. Maybe instead of three different rods you could get only one but, get different lures (old lure, great lure, super lure). Each lure would function like the different rods do now when encountering mons. You could even have additional lures that are more effective in certain bodies of water i.e. marsh lure would be more effective at catching mons in swamps (Refer to Red Dead Redemption 2)

Trainer customization

Partner (customization), following, and ridable mons

Extra facilities like Battle Frontier, Battle Tower, Contests.
    Side note for contests: Make them like the anime where the Coordinators have to travel the region collecting five Ribbons to be able to enter that region's Grand
    Festival.

Secret bases

A Safari Zone with Pokemon Let's go catching mechanics. I think that would be more fun and interesting than the regular bait/rock throwing mechanic.

Decrease shiny rates. Give them unique abilities and features that would incentivize hunting for them i.e. hidden abilities, perfect IVs, better looking color palettes i.e. Charmander's line with black skin and blue flames

Weather, seasons, day/night cycle, day and weekly events

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    As many others have said, difficulty options. I don't understand why this isn't a feature.

Yeah i think its a great idea too, i think the only reason we don't see it more often because of how time consuming it is to do right.

There's raising the level for every trainer pokemon for every battle encounter,
    or boosting their evs/ivs, or programing different move sets, adding more pokemon to each trainer, or changes to the AI.

The more I learn about editing these games I feel like the base games we're getting may be very low effort.

In most cases I assume they're just importing pokemon data from previous gen, maybe creating a new sprite each time, then making any alterations to existing move sets.

After that is the original stuff, where they have to make new maps, different story, and add new pokemon. But with each gen maps get more linear so I just think there isn't a desire somewhere to allocate time and effort into making a more expansive pokemon experience.

I don't mean to complain about GF i'm not really hating them or anything, that's just why i think we don't have the feature, and as long as we can add it ourselves i can still be happy.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    The more I learn about editing these games I feel like the base games we're getting may be very low effort.

In most cases I assume they're just importing pokemon data from previous gen, maybe creating a new sprite each time, then making any alterations to existing move sets.

After that is the original stuff, where they have to make new maps, different story, and add new pokemon. But with each gen maps get more linear so I just think there isn't a desire somewhere to allocate time and effort into making a more expansive pokemon experience.

I don't mean to complain about GF i'm not really hating them or anything, that's just why i think we don't have the feature, and as long as we can add it ourselves i can still be happy.

I wouldn't say low effort per se. While there's certainly a lack of incentive for them to stray too far from what they've given us so far - it's the biggest franchise in the world, they can afford to phone it in - it's also not exactly an easy project.

Game Freak has small teams and a tight game cycle of 2 years - and building an engine, like they do whenever they switch consoles, isn't exactly a trivial proposition.

Now, while they have cut a lot of corners in Sword and Shield, I'd say it's more of an economic pressure than a lack of effort.

Now as for difficulty settings, I personally don't care a lot. A "Hard mode" doesn't really accomplish a lot with supporting changes, there's a reason most difficulty hacks are also "catch'em all hacks". I guess I could support that idea if they made a catch'em all version, but considering GameFreak's latest stance I find that extremely hard to happen.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    I wouldn't say low effort per se.

Yeah that's part of why I was trying not to go all the way on saying that too, and yeah I agree with the rest, I was mostly saying that until they actually add something new, new system engine, new pokemon, so I guess between generations, there's not much work needed on their part.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Yeah that's part of why I was trying not to go all the way on saying that too, and yeah I agree with the rest, I was mostly saying that until they actually add something new, new system engine, new pokemon, so I guess between generations, there's not much work needed on their part.

You're oversimplifying things. To begin with, every game so far has added something new. The obvious changes come in generation shifts, but if we look at the other games and ignore the small QoL changes, we can see non-trivial changes.

Most of the third versions introduce a lot of graphical changes - full animations, new maps altogether, form differences, map tweaking, etc.. From Generation VI onwards, we enter the realm of full 3D which means things get harder to edit in a way. Some also introduce full blown new features like the Battle Tower, the Battle Frontier, Amity Square, Join Avenue, and so on. Others still will rework the plot since the originals relied a bit too much in the box legendaries.

The remakes need a whole new set of maps, trainer roster changes, movepool changes, TM changes, sometimes full blown features that weren't in the original (like Pokéthlon, the Sevii Islands or the Delta Episode)

It's easy to miss these changes since they're not big or flashy, but there's a lot of them and that stacks up rather quickly. And when you consider the small teams involved in the project, any change becomes slower simply because there are less people to do the boring work necessary for them.

Whether those changes were needed or appreciated is different conversation. But they are a lot of work and they are not easy to do.

Now, I'm not saying that GameFreak is perfect. For example, Gen 6's Sky Battles haven't been a thing for 8 years, but they're still mucking up the design of non-grounded Pokémon to this date.

But I think it's important to keep in mind that until Pokémon has a development cycle that's not exactly very common in the industry. Often there'll be two games being developed in parallel (that's why HG/SS had Pokémon following you but B/W didn't), the teams are considered small by industry standards, the games are almost always released in two year cycles.

We have to see how things will go with the massive DLC system that Sw/Sh is introducing - this could be a "gamechanger" in a lot of ways, since it could make Pokémon games more of a rolling release and introduce a lot of those optional features like difficulty settings, level caps and so on with less strain on the team -, but in general a number of the massive sweeping changes that have been voiced in this thread just can't happen unless the structure of that development cycle changes. A number of other changes can't happen unless the design philosophy of the series changes. Both of which, unfortunately, aren't very likely considering Pokémon is the biggest media franchise in the world.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    You're oversimplifying things. To begin with, every game so far has added something new. The obvious changes come in generation shifts, but if we look at the other games and ignore the small QoL changes, we can see non-trivial changes.

Most of the third versions introduce a lot of graphical changes - full animations, new maps altogether, form differences, map tweaking, etc.. From Generation VI onwards, we enter the realm of full 3D which means things get harder to edit in a way. Some also introduce full blown new features like the Battle Tower, the Battle Frontier, Amity Square, Join Avenue, and so on. Others still will rework the plot since the originals relied a bit too much in the box legendaries.

The remakes need a whole new set of maps, trainer roster changes, movepool changes, TM changes, sometimes full blown features that weren't in the original (like Pokéthlon, the Sevii Islands or the Delta Episode)

It's easy to miss these changes since they're not big or flashy, but there's a lot of them and that stacks up rather quickly. And when you consider the small teams involved in the project, any change becomes slower simply because there are less people to do the boring work necessary for them.

Whether those changes were needed or appreciated is different conversation. But they are a lot of work and they are not easy to do.

Now, I'm not saying that GameFreak is perfect. For example, Gen 6's Sky Battles haven't been a thing for 8 years, but they're still mucking up the design of non-grounded Pokémon to this date.

But I think it's important to keep in mind that until Pokémon has a development cycle that's not exactly very common in the industry. Often there'll be two games being developed in parallel (that's why HG/SS had Pokémon following you but B/W didn't), the teams are considered small by industry standards, the games are almost always released in two year cycles.

We have to see how things will go with the massive DLC system that Sw/Sh is introducing - this could be a "gamechanger" in a lot of ways, since it could make Pokémon games more of a rolling release and introduce a lot of those optional features like difficulty settings, level caps and so on with less strain on the team -, but in general a number of the massive sweeping changes that have been voiced in this thread just can't happen unless the structure of that development cycle changes. A number of other changes can't happen unless the design philosophy of the series changes. Both of which, unfortunately, aren't very likely considering Pokémon is the biggest media franchise in the world.

I don't care for sword/shield or the idea of using dlc releases to constantly patch or change existing games. I prefer the old ways a game's made stuffs in it, and that's it, you get what you pay for and it doesn't suddenly change 2 months down the road.
    I can't remember if I wrote this in this thread or not, but I'm just fine with how the games are, as long as we're able to go in
    and make whatever changes we want I'm almost completely satisfied.
    If I don't like a move, I can change it, don't like difficulty I'll make it harder myself.
    Emulators and romhacking have already "saved" pokemon or me.

and for the whole pokemon following you thing, heart gold and black and white are in two different generations, and
    unfortunately I couldn't get the gold/silver remakes so I forgot that was even a thing, but in black and white,
    I think they started experimenting with 3-d or psuedo 3-d graphics and that messes with a lot of things.
    The follow mechanic is already hard enough but carrying that over and making it work with 3-d and perspective shifts?!

I'd say no wonder they dropped it between generations, you can look at sword and shield to see how that could have gone.
    For example certain mechanics are already broken by the 3-d in black and white, for example I have an action replay code setup so I auto run on a toggle, whenever there is a perspective shift this stops working and I have to press and hold the button myself.

Ok now that aside...
    Yes everything you said is true, and I don't want to start an argument about this, I just wanna enjoy my time here.

I was talking all within each generation, like gen 3 for example, we have the first entries and then the remakes, ruby saphire, then emerald and fire red and leaf green.
    Then gen iv, we have diamond pearl , then platinum and heart gold and soul silver. (though later did have much more difference in mechanics and features)

Looking at the code for the games all the sprite and move data is there already, even for pokemon you can't access without events or moves that almost no pokemon can learn.

Me just one person on no budget, could add new maps by copying existing ones and making small edits or pallete swaps.
    Could make new legendary events by writing a few scripts, some movement commands, and using sprite data to make them visible.
    And I could probably make a new battle frontier by copying the existing data; trainer data, maps, menu's etc, into another game and then just repoint so the game can recognize and access it all.

Then edit the teams and map location till its unrecognizable as the old thing.

Presently I don' t have the skills or experience needed to make those changes or to do them swiftly but if I did,
    I (one person not just linking this to me specifically) could make all those changes within the time frame of a couple years. Working every day of course.

I doubt their teams for these games are in the single digits, so I just think they don't need anywhere near that amount of time to actually complete the game (or a game pair). Again assuming this is all in one generation and they don't have to add anything major mechanics or animation wise.

Mind that, all time frames are just based on a combination of my own experience making basic edits, and some knowledge of the lifespans of some of the more successful romhacks in this community, and knowing how small their teams were, if they used a team at all.

This is just my opinion I could absolutely be wrong.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I don't care for sword/shield or the idea of using dlc releases to constantly patch or change existing games. I prefer the old ways a game's made stuffs in it, and that's it, you get what you pay for and it doesn't suddenly change 2 months down the road.

That's fine. I'm just saying that DLC can make a lot of things more viable, be they small QoL patches or something bigger.

I can't remember if I wrote this in this thread or not, but I'm just fine with how the games are, as long as we're able to go in
    and make whatever changes we want I'm almost completely satisfied.
    If I don't like a move, I can change it, don't like difficulty I'll make it harder myself.
    Emulators and romhacking have already "saved" pokemon or me.

Thing is, that's not exactly something Nintendo exactly approves. There's a lot of issues regarding copyright - especially in Japan which has a lot stricter laws - and emulation of later consoles require a lot of computing power that a number of computers just don't have. And older engines are fundamentally limited in some ways that are theoretically possible to break, but very unlikely due to a number of logistic issues.

I do agree with you though that there are a lot of great hacks / fangames around, and I do think they will, to a certain extent, dominate the "veteran player" fanbase in the coming years, but some of the more "exploration" based ideas that were posited here are almost impossible to happen the way most people would like them to happen via hacks / fangames.

I was talking all within each generation, like gen 3 for example, we have the first entries and then the remakes, ruby saphire, then emerald and fire red and leaf green.
    Then gen iv, we have diamond pearl , then platinum and heart gold and soul silver. (though later did have much more difference in mechanics and features)

Looking at the code for the games all the sprite and move data is there already, even for pokemon you can't access without events or moves that almost no pokemon can learn.
    That's not quite right. Like I said, there was a number of changes: this include sprites, music and move data. For example, Emerald introduced animations, which weren't present in Ruby / Sapphire. That's 386 animations your art team has to do from scratch. BW2 has animations for the trainer classes as well, while BW didn't. Even if they are small animations, that will still take some time.

Remakes have even more art that need to be redone - for example, the sprites for trainer classes are different between RSE and FRLG or between DPPt and HGSS.

Me just one person on no budget, could add new maps by copying existing ones and making small edits or pallete swaps.
    Could make new legendary events by writing a few scripts, some movement commands, and using sprite data to make them visible.
    And I could probably make a new battle frontier by copying the existing data; trainer data, maps, menu's etc, into another game and then just repoint so the game can recognize and access it all.

Again, you're just assuming you already have the art done. That's not quite the case for the remakes.
    Like, I agree with you that changing code is easy-ish*. I do it for a living and I'll admit that when you have a functioning code base, changes are easy to make.
    Art isn't as simple. Especially when you have games that have very different art forms in it, like sprite, 3D models and 2D paintings.

* Until of course you end with a nasty bug that takes days to fix. Less likely if you're only using pre-made tools like most hackers around here do, but a lot more likely if you're coding in C / C++ like GameFreak most likely is. It might be even harder than your usual software debugging since I'm not sure what kind of debugging tools they have access to.

Presently I don' t have the skills or experience needed to make those changes or to do them swiftly but if I did,
    I (one person not just linking this to me specifically) could make all those changes within the time frame of a couple years. Working every day of course.

I doubt their teams for these games are in the single digits, so I just think they don't need anywhere near that amount of time to actually complete the game (or a game pair). Again assuming this is all in one generation and they don't have to add anything major mechanics or animation wise.

Mind that, all time frames are just based on a combination of my own experience making basic edits, and some knowledge of the lifespans of some of the more successful romhacks in this community, and knowing how small their teams were, if they used a team at all.

This is just my opinion I could absolutely be wrong.

If they didn't have a vacation between projects, already knew what the changes were going to be (and never changed their mind halfway through), didn't have to go through multiple Quality Assurance rounds, didn't make any mistakes with the programming, made art that was always accepted the first time around, never got any negative feedback while playtesting the game, and never had to deal with meddling from the higher-ups, then sure.

But that's a lot of ifs. Each and every one of those things can take a lot of time, and most aren't really issues that typical fangames / rom hacks have (or at least show to people). Most will just reuse art that's already out there licensed as open source, don't have dedicated QA or playtesting teams, already have an idea of what changes they'd like to see when they start making the game, and so on.

But we're already straying pretty far from the topic, already. If you want to continue this conversation (or pick up on it, if you're not Meister), feel free to message me.

I guess the tl;dr here is that corporate programming can be a pain, and will make things take a lot longer - although usually for your benefit as a consumer. QA testers and playtesters will take a chunk of time, but they make a lot of mistakes and bugs go away (which is even more important, if you can't / don't want to patch things via DLCs). Art directors will mean a lot of art will be rejected, but it also means that what's left is likely of higher quality / more polished, and so on.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    But we're already straying pretty far from the topic, already. If you want to continue this conversation (or pick up on it, if you're not Meister), feel free to message me.

lol Hah, glad you're cool about all this, but yeah we've definitely gone far enough down this side street. :D

Ok trying to get back on topic here.

I do agree with you though that there are a lot of great hacks / fangames around, and I do think they will, to a certain extent, dominate the "veteran player" fanbase in the coming years, but some of the more "exploration" based ideas that were posited here are almost impossible to happen the way most people would like them to happen via hacks / fangames.

hmmm what if someone did it final fantasy style? If they're not too picky about the graphics that could possibly satisfy people's "open world" craving, but definitley not the mmo thing, that really isn't possible. (edit actually that may be possible afterall, I just found out about insurgence, which has online trading and battles, so for an mmo to be done, it would just need onlines servers to host from, and it would necessarily have to be a small or enclosed to thing to avoid issue with nintendo, so most likely it would require them to be private servers that only members of a specific site could access.

and I think pokemon unbound actually implemented a type of quest reward system, like rpgs.

I think a turn based final fantasy style pokemon game would be cool, and to make it easier they could do auto capture on defeat.
    Like you fight them get them to the last sliver of health, and like doing a limit break you get the option to either do a finisher or do a capture.

Legendaries could work slightly differently instead of a capture you'd have to defeat them, then there'd be a dialogue thing where they decide to join you, and you capture them then.

And thinking on I just realized I've recreated mystery dungeon. *facepalm*

Last edited:
    Back