• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When was the last time you bought both versions of a game?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Never did. I mean, want a Vulpix but picked Fire Red? Fear not, you can allways trade :) and the differences aren't big enough so if I have the chance I prefer to check what each version offers and pick whichever looks better for me. I did play "Third" versions like Platinum for example, but never saw a good reason to get both Diamond and Pearl.

I guess it could be good for people who are into completing the Pokédex, or obtaining version exclusive legendaries that most players won't put up for trade? But I personally don't care about the Pokédex or filling boxes with legendaries I'll never use.

Years
  • Last for me was gen 4! Can't believe it's been 15+ years already?? I do have second copies of later generations, but they're all copies handed to me from my brother after he beat/felt satisfied with the games. He got Y while I got X, for example (now I have both :3). But right now it is an absolute waste of money to me haha. :( Especially with how easy it is to just get version exclusives from friends/via WiFi.

Years
  • August of last year when I bought sword with the expansion pass included.
    I've mainly been using it as mon storage for all my HA mons though xD

Years
  • i got soulsilver and then my mother got me heartgold as an unexpected present!

havent gotten both versions of a game since, though. :c

pkmin3033

I've been buying every version since Gen III - my mother wanted to play too, and I didn't want to skip out on third versions. I even own copies of the games I hate now, because I have more money than sense when it comes to Pokemon games.

Years
  • Never have, if I play the remakes I might so I can have my main copy + a copy for nuzlockes but I only will if the games have some longevity. If Sw/Sh are still the main games when they come out, I don't think I will buy either.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • SS expansion pass. Yes, the latest game is the last time I had both versions, and in the original SS, I bought both of them too.

In fact, a better question is when was the last time I didn't buy both versions. That would be LGPE, and that's mostly because I can transfer some of the exclusives. That is the only game where I bought only one version in the past 3 generations.

With BDSP, I have recently decided that I want both versions. And I even plan to try and find a way to purchase the Whites one way or another.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Never. The point of buying 2 version is part of GF plan to decide if you want to do a trade or get it yourself thru self-trading so if you so desire to get version-exclusive mons you can always head to GTS or do trade with online people or a friend; Then again it never been an easy option for earlier gen before Wi-fi was a think. I always buy single version and if I want to get like pokemon not available in this version, HEY! that's what trading and wonder trades existed

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Last set I bought was sun and moon. Whether I buy another set again will depend on how much I enjoy the future games.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • ...sword and shield. ahaha. i always get both. only exception has been the let's go games, but mostly because i'm not a fan of pikachu, so i only have let's go eevee. i rly like that game tho but i don't wanna have to restart my file or get the opposite version and get stuck w pikachu...bleh.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I don't think I ever have. I always had a group of friends and we'd get an even amount. I know I would get the opposite version when they would do remakes or additions. Like I got Black and then White 2 or Sun and Ultra Moon.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I usually buy both versions of a game just so I can get all the version exclusives without having to ask anyone to trade me lol. (also so I can complete trade evos easily for my dex) I'm into shiny collecting too, so I like to SR for version exclusive legendaries on each game. I just bought Shield today for literally no reason other than 1. I can redeem shiny Zacian code, 2. I can SR for a 0 IV glastrier cuz I dun goofed and chose spectrier on my Sword game, 3. I can SR for shiny version of the other regi

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Hmm... I guess it would have been the Kalos games. I always bought both versions of the game, usually at the same time. I thought about doing it in Sun and Moon and while I did get Sun and Ultra Sun, I didn't really see a reason to get both games. I could trade in the GTS easily to get the pokemon I didn't have and I mostly had finished the Dex.

And then with Let's Go and SwSh, I didn't want to pay 120 bucks for two of the same game, especially when I already had to buy the expansion pack. And if you got the DLC for both, then it be another 60. Being nearly 200 bucks for the same game. I just didn't see a point paying that much, especially when everything could easily be gotten in GTS.

Even with Gen 8 Regis and the Horse Pokemon, you could just make a second profile for your one game and get the opposite pokemon without any extra cost other than the price for Home for you main profile.

Last edited:

Noir

Sir Lucious Left Foot
    Years
  • Black 2 and White 2. I was way more into the competitive scene and wanted to have 1 game act as my story file while the other was my breeding/vgc file

Years
  • it was by mistake lol. it was kinda stupid lol. i basically thought white 2 was the sequel of pokemon black because there was Reshiram on the cover lol, so i bought that and played it. obviously i understood i got the wrong version but i didn't really care too much tbh. Anyway, several months later, i decided to buy black 2 to "make things right" lol. so, i sold white 2 and got black 2 lol. THat was my only time. I ve never owned two pokemon versions at the same time tbh, i ve always seen it as a waste of money since i m not a collector, i guess. but anyway i think it was worth playing pearl lol. gen 4 is my fav gen and i m like obsessed. indeed i plan to get at some point the japanese version of pokemon diamond and prolly platinum too. i could consider getting pearl too just for the collection, but, again, it still would feel a waste for me.

Back