• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which console had the best Pokémon games?

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
  • Aah.... come to think of it, the DS line games are my favourite. The DS Lite was my first console, Pearl introduced me to Pokemon, while White version made me passionate about the franchise. Not only did we have the Sinnoh and Unova games, we also had the Explorers and Blue Rescue Team Mystery Dungeons, which in my opinion, is awesome! Oh, but the 3DS has its own share of games too, but this is about the favourite sets of games, so I'll go with the DS. And Pokemon Dash

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    Generation 3 were my favourite games but GBA is in a disadvantage when it comes to quantity. So yeah, technically Game Boy Advance?

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • The DS for me was kind of a golden age for Pokemon. Gens 4 and 5 are in my top 3 generations.

D/P while slow had their charm and were fun.
    Platinum is an absolute masterpiece.
    I'm super nostalgic for HG/SS (also they're great)
    B/W had some great characters, symbolism, and story.
    and B2/W2 are masterpieces yet again.

Years
  • The DS, I have to say (and not just because it was my first console ever)! Aside from Generation 4 main series games (I had Pearl), which I always felt were somehow prettier in the graphics department than Black and White, it had Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky and Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs, both among my all-time favourites.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Is there any answer other than DS tbh?
    If I can't say DS, GBA it is. I'd say something about the home consoles, but I've never played any of the games on there.

Cid

Years
  • I wanted to say the 3DS because it has VC of RBY & GSC + DS and 3DS cartridge (including ORAS!) compatibility but that feels like cheating haha.

I'll say the DS as well, since HeartGold and White 2 are some of the best games in the franchise. I have a soft spot for Gold, so HeartGold having all of its charm and more makes it so good.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Hmmm this is a really hard question. I probably put the most time into RSE/LGFR on my Game Boy Advance which is why it barely works anymore. But then I've often thought the 3DS was the best console we've had for Pokemon games because I can play so many Pokemon games on it. I might really have to go with GBA set of games because I truly loved playing them and restarted all of them countless times.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Game Boy Advanced. These games completely overhauled Pokemon for the better by adding Natures, Abilities, changing how IVs worked, and much more small stuff that really improved on everything. Not only that, they gave every single Pokemon their own unique menu sprite. Battles were no longer just on a white background of nothingness but the two Pokemon sprites fighting eachother. The game boy advanced games also introduced gym leader rematches and the vs. seeker.

The DS generation of Pokemon games just improved upon what the GBA generation games did, if you ask me, but that generation of games is still really good regardless.

Rynamite

Teaghlaigh, Dílseacht, Misneach
    Years
  • My personal favorite from a franchise point of view would be the GBC (Red, Blue, Yellow, Crystal Etc.) generation.

Why you may ask?

It is literally the building foundation of this gaming franchise. The biggest impact to most games is of course the first generation. I say most because there has been different results for different franchises. The battling system, from determining who goes first, to what moves to what damage to said Pokemon set the ground work for battling to evolve to what we see in today's era. The music for battle sequences (trainer, wild pokemon and gym leader) is still talked about today at times among veteran and new gamers (Both Pokegamers and Non Pokegamers). Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the evolution and jumps of progress made between each console generation of games. But for franchise opportunities, and a bit on the selfish Nostalic side I have to go to where it all began.

My favourite for just... playing? The n64 generation of course!

Argh, another older generation for Pokemon games I feel somewhat old and bad for highlighting older content. But playing Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2, Snap and Puzzle League I had poured hours upon hours into those games as they were what I had thought to of been the best spin off way to play the series. (I'm not counting the fact that you can play the GBC games on Stadium I'll leave that for a more relevant topic)

Runner up was the Gamecube generation, simply for the more 3D modelling of walking around from place to place. Though it was still rather linear. (Like... I know they are all almost linear. But it felt more like a Crash Bandicoot linear console series compared to your traditional pokemon linear game style)

ARSOO_95

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2020
    Heya, I have Pokemon Moon which is my very first pokemon game. So my question is - as the titel suggest- following: Which other pokemon games are worth playing? Which one has the best story?There is alot of different pokemon games and remakes so I'm a bit lost and don't know how to navigate it all.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    Heya, I have Pokemon Moon which is my very first pokemon game. So my question is - as the titel suggest- following: Which other pokemon games are worth playing? Which one has the best story?There is alot of different pokemon games and remakes so I'm a bit lost and don't know how to navigate it all.

I'd like to say all but it really depends on how much the technical aspect bothers you. The first generations are worth it if you're okay with that. In general though, I'd suggest:

Fire Red/Leaf Green
    Emerald
    Black2/White2
    Platinum
    SoulSilver/ HeartGold

Years
  • Is it cheating to say the 3DS? You can play gen 1-2 through VC, 4-5 through backwards compatibility, and 6-7 natively.

If not, then the DS is my favorite choice, even ignoring the backwards compatibility with gen 3. HeartGold is a very close second to Emerald in my list of favorite games, and the Unova games were really a breath of fresh air into the series, and ones that I should really go back and play again sometime soon.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • You could probably see this from a mile away, but I'll say the DS!

These games made the game more interesting than it ever was with new mechanics (...and weather wars, I admit), without having to add things like Dynamax or Mega Evolutions! Gen 5 especially looked amazing - for being a DS game at least - and had a very nice and expansive soundtrack, too!
    HG/SS also looked very nice and had a lot of useful features that weren't always brought onto the newer games. And then there are also the Ranger games and Conquest.. :D

Years
  • If we're only counting Pokémon games made specifically for the system in question, I'd have to say DS. As much as I do adore Generation III and it holds a boatload of fond memories for me, Gen IV holds just as many, and between DPPt, HGSS, the Unova duology, the Mystery Dungeon Explorers and Ranger titles... I've gotta say that the DS's Pokémon offerings were pretty consistently high-quality!

As far as the best console to play Pokémon games on, with no requirement that those games be created specifically for the hardware, definitely the 3DS. Thanks to the Virtual Console and backwards compatibility, you've basically got the GB/C generations, the whole DS Pokémon library, and the 3DS-original Pokémon games available to play all on one system.

Back