• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Which Johto starter did you choose?

Which Johto starter did you choose?

• Cyndaquil

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Totodile

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Chikorita

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
  • Which Johto starter did you choose?

After you've defeated the Elite Four for the first time, you can go back to Route 101 and find Professor Birch in a similar predicament to when we first met him. This time, once he offers you a Pokemon from his bag, you get to choose between the three Johto starters: Cyndaquil, Totodile, and Chikorita.

So, which of the starters you guys choose?

Silri

Kimono Girl
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2018
    It was Chikorita for me, no contest. Even though Chikorita wasn't my very first starter in Gold/Silver (that honor belongs to Totodile) it's the most nostalgic for me.
    And besides, it's just so flipping cute! ♥
    All of the Johto starters are really good though. My favorite set of starters by far.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    While I've chosen Totodile I could have picked any of them, since I have all Johto starters. :)

Years
  • When I was playing Alpha Sapphire (since corrupted) I already had Oshawott and Chimchar in mind for my other starters, so even though Cyndaquil was my usual go-to Johto starter, I didn't want to shame on the Grass-types so that's what led to me picking Chikorita here.

Years
  • The starter I chose in Omega Ruby was Chikorita, and I'm happy to say that it wasn't just based off how cute it looked. {XD} In the original game, the starter I chose was also Chikorita, however, I only picked it because of its looks. I decided to go for Chikorita in OR because of its speed and special attack. It also just felt right doing so since I chose it in the original. So it was a bit of bias, admittedly. :)

Last edited:

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years
  • CYNDAQUIL. ALWAYS CYNDAQUIL.

Like Silri, the Johto set of starters is my absolute favorite as well... but mainly because of my immense love for Cyndaquil's line. I'll choose it every time.

Years
  • I chose Totodile. It is not only my favorite starter, but also one of my favorite Pokemon (along with its evolutionary line) of all time. I chose it when first playing Pokemon Gold, and I can't help myself but choose it every time, even if I already decided to use a different starter:P

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • I almost always start with Treecko on my Hoenn playthroughs. So it was Cyndaquil for me.

Years
  • Uh.. oh geez. I can hardly remember. Pretty sure I quickly chose Totodile since I had each of these sitting around in PokéBank from X waiting to be transferred so the choice didn't matter much, lol. Plus I chose Chikorita so many times before in other games that I went with my favorite little crocodile. <3

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2015
    I prefer water type starters and Totodile in my opinion is really good because mostly of it's defense and attack. Made Heartgold early in the game a lot easier since the gym leaders didn't have an advantage over Totodile at first.

Years
  • When I used to be a major genwunner I always picked the fire starter. When ORAS came out and I got up to that point I picked Totodile because Feraligatr is pretty ice punching cool when I think about it.

GilliTheFabulous

Shiny Hunter, Collector, and Breeder
    Years
  • Oh god, this is such a hard choice. I am never usually one for the fire starter but I love cyndaquil to bits. Chikorita is, well, grass and grass types have always been my favorite starters. Totodile was the first one of the three I had ever chosen when I had first started playing Gold. This is my favorite trio of starters hands down, but I went for Totodile(I had to bring Chomper back). If only I could choose all three...

I just ended up asking my friend for the other two so I could breed them. :)

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I chose Chikorita, simply because it's adorable! My second choice would probably have been Cyndaquil, and that's probably what I'll go for once I get to this point in AS. I already have a bunch of Totodiles in Pokemon Y, so between all 3 of my 6th gen games I'll have the whole Johto trio :D

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Had to choose Totodile, it was the first pokemon i ever had in my first game Pokemon Crystal. Plus its special attack and defense are so darn solid that i can always make room for him. Lastly, Totodile is just so darn adorable!

Back