• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

wtf, $400 dollars for a dress? it's only one night!

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    juniors and seniors are gifted with prom as a congratulatory gift for surviving high school thus far. rather pricey event know as prom. prom is traditionally a one day event where teenagers put on their best attire to get wild and badly dance the night away. when is your prom? are you attending/have you attended prom? pictures?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Since I was such a social butterfly, my parents were like "I'll pay you $100 to go to prom". I was thinking about it, but I procrastinated on asking someone, and they got asked before I could make a move, and since I didn't feel like going alone, I didn't.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
    I didn't go to my prom. Didn't understand the reason, and I thought it was stupid to spend 400$ on a dress. The only time I'll spend an absurd amount on any dress is on my wedding gown.

I also think all these MK purses I see around uOttawa campus is absurd. Who paid for that? OSAP?

Years
    My prom had maybe all of our entire class except for maybe less than 10% of the class that wasn't there? I was there, and I had a fun night. Me and my ex girlfriend had fun dancing and we had photos taken together, and caricatures drawn as well.

It was fun seeing everyone (including the staff that was there and the administration) all dressed formal, and it was the thing talked about for the remainder of the school year.

Of course that was two years ago and I would love to be able to relive that moment again if I could.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
    I went to another school's prom because it clashed with the prom I was at and my best friend went to that school... two of my other best friends were there was well. I can't say I was a big fan of the fancy prom, but I didn't go overboard on a prom suit or anything ridiculous like that. If you're paying £250+ for one night at a young age for a school prom, your family probably have more money than sense!

Years
    I went to my High school prom with my friends in a big American Freightliner truck (Our trucks in the UK are tiny so American ones are a novelty). So that was kind of cool.
    My Sixth form prom didn't have an entrance quite as dramatic, but for some reason I drank a lot of Guinness and John Smiths Bitter but hardly got drunk lol, The suit I wore for that I still wear so I have got my moneys worth out of that.

Sirfetch’d

I went to my junior prom, but not my senior one. I enjoyed it to an extent, but dances and parties are just not my thing. I also went by myself so I was basically by myself the entire time other than small talk moments with a few friends. Do I regret missing my senior one? I do actually. I think I would have enjoyed it better and I definitely feel bad about not having that special memory of high school.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I went to my senior prom with one of my friends, just so I could have the experience. We met up with some friends, talked, did a small amount of dancing, got our picture taken, and set up camp at the table in the corner with all the other band kids. I guess it was fun, but totally not worth the absurd amount of money that went into it.

The best part of the night is when our entire friend circle came over to my parents' house and had dinner there. My parents acted like waiters, we ordered off of a menu, and had a lot of fun just chatting away. This was before the actual prom too.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    Money drain central. Basically where every retailer, local shop and your school (a supposedly socialized institution) turn into those aliens from Star Trek with abnormally large ears and foreheads that care about nothing but profit... Ferangi, as they were called?

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
    We don't have prom at our school (would be pretty awkward since they would almost surely separate boys and girls into different rooms).

We do however have quite a few events to compensate. The biggest is the annual Business Fair, where all Business Studies, Accounting, Economics and Enterprise students join up and go to school wearing formal clothes for 2 days. It goes similarly to a science fair, only the focus is on business and how the students can market their product. The first of the two days also includes a debate but nobody really likes that it's boring.

Years
    I actually didn't go to my high school prom. Was not interested in it at the time and I didn't know anybody who would have gone with me anyway. Going to prom alone didn't seem like the way to go.

Do I regret not going? Maybe only very slightly if only because I missed the "experience". But otherwise, nope. Still don't care much about events like that.

Plus I didn't have to pay a bunch of money for it. :D

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    We don't have prom at our school (would be pretty awkward since they would almost surely separate boys and girls into different rooms).

We do however have quite a few events to compensate. The biggest is the annual Business Fair, where all Business Studies, Accounting, Economics and Enterprise students join up and go to school wearing formal clothes for 2 days. It goes similarly to a science fair, only the focus is on business and how the students can market their product. The first of the two days also includes a debate but nobody really likes that it's boring.

what a delightful, fun institution you go to

when i went to the ball in year 12 & 13 it was just by myself and i didn't care
    to me the focus was getting through it so i could go to the after ball and drink then sleep

i wasn't out in 2010/2011 & it was just easier to not complicate things imo

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    The only thing you should be marketing at prom is discount condoms.

Why is nobody going to their prom? Has nobody ever seen a sitcom at any point in their life? Every person who doesn't go to prom will regret it by the time they're in their 30s, that's what they teach us.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    You know, I totally forgot to mention our school (at least the school I care about mentioning) had an alternate prom-like event called the Military Ball, which was hosted at a catering/conference center on Fort Carson, and I took my freshman year crush to that - she took her boyfriend to prom though which was expected.

I have never been so hazy in my life lmao

pkmin3033

Prom was only for the popular kids and, being the inconsequential little bookworm that I was at Secondary School (and still am to a degree, aha) I never went to mine...never really wanted to either. I look awful in formal attire, I don't dance, and I don't know which I thought would be worse: showing up with a date or without one! xD

I kinda wish I went to the graduation prom when I was at University, but I had family-related plans on the evening...and the tickets were all sold out anyway.

Years
    We don't have "proms" in Australia, although we do have school balls, river cruises and the like.

I didn't go to most of them, bar one dinner dance when I was in year ten. I didn't take a date but I spent the time with some good friends which was actually pretty cool. It wasn't anything amazing for me though, I had already been ballroom dancing for years so getting dressed up and going to a formal event to dance awkwardly with people who had no idea what they were doing wasn't exactly a priority. I feel slighted that I was banned from getting the award for best dancer.

The big school ball was a year twelve thing, and I left to go to university when I was sixteen. So that was never happening.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Nah, I didn't go to my high school prom. I don't think that most of my friends went anyway. I don't really like wearing formal attire, and dances and such aren't really my thing.

Also the last time I went to a school dance I broke someone's toe

Back