• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious You Can Change ONE Point in History

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • You can go back in time and change one, ONLY ONE, point in history. But it cannot be something that is from your personal life, but it can be something that happened during the time you were alive. Go wild.

There are so many points in history I'd want to change if it were possible, but I'm going to go with going back in time and stop guns from being invented. I honestly think this would be for the better, but I'm not going to get into it beyond that.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    just one of these would be nice

nz: 1984 labour government neoliberal reforms after the party was hijacked by libertarians - those reforms singlehandedly ruined nz's status as an enviable and progressive nation
    usa: henry wallace gets the vp nomination over harry truman, the changes to our timeline would be almost inconceivable
    russia: lenin lives long enough to ruin stalin politically OR trotsky wins the power struggle over stalin
    china: sun yat-sen living even an extra two years would have been long enough time to consolidate the relationship between the kuomintang and the ccp and avoid the brutal repression that chiang kai-shek carried out without sun yat-sen's mortal presence to calm the situation, or alternately, chiang kai-shek loses the power struggle over the kmt to the left-wing faction and a likelier chance of stability between the kmt and the ccp forms

Last edited:
    Years
  • History is so fickle and interconnected it's difficult to change one thing with out having negative repercussions spin out of control and end up in a worse timeline.

Off the top of my head I have to agree with Her in the rise of Trotsky resulting in a better outcome. More than likely the mass murder and death would still happen in the 1930s, however the massive paranoia on Stalin's part resulted in the gutting of the Soviet military. I would hope that under Trotsky, the military would be better prepared for Operation Barbarossa, and could put an end to Nazi Germany far quicker and prevent the deaths of millions.

Another would be to prevent the rise of communist China, while it would hurt China as a world power in today's society. It would prevent the murder of millions in China, Korea, Vietnam, and many other East Asian countries.

The last one would be the Armenian Genocide, as it would prevent the horrible atrocities that followed from the deaths of hundreds of thousands if not over a million Armenians, and the retaliatory actions of the Greek army.

Years
  • I'd undo or avert the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand and ensuing freakout from Austria-Hungary and Serbia. Totally changes everything we know and learned in school about the 20th century, buuuuut the alternative wouldn't be much better. WWI probably still happens one way or the other, but probably later on in the 20th century and with different players and world powers on the stage.

Years
  • I'd undo or avert the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand and ensuing freakout from Austria-Hungary and Serbia. Totally changes everything we know and learned in school about the 20th century, buuuuut the alternative wouldn't be much better. WWI probably still happens one way or the other, but probably later on in the 20th century and with different players and world powers on the stage.

This is interesting.
    Depending on what happened with Hitler in this time period it might also avert WWII.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2020
    Nothing. All serve as experience. Besides, one thing can lead to the other and so on. It's a trap of "good intentions".

Years
  • china: sun yat-sen living even an extra two years would have been long enough time to consolidate the relationship between the kuomintang and the ccp and avoid the brutal repression that chiang kai-shek carried out without sun yat-sen's mortal presence to calm the situation, or alternately, chiang kai-shek loses the power struggle over the kmt to the left-wing faction and a likelier chance of stability between the kmt and the ccp forms

bro whaaaaat? respect. I do wonder how a non-revolutionary China would have turned out. What's the significance of Henry Wallace over Harry Truman?

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    bro whaaaaat? respect. I do wonder how a non-revolutionary China would have turned out. What's the significance of Henry Wallace over Harry Truman?

the main things to note are like:

- being somewhat of a prodigal son of fdr, as the third term VP wallace was far more attuned to fdr's relationship with stalin and the wider geopolitical issue of what to do about russia post-ww2, whereas truman was distrusted by all in fdr's cabinet, didn't know about the a-bomb until (iirc) just after fdr died and was little more than a stooge for bad actors. wallace was far more politically astute, if not as directly cunning as fdr or as truman liked to think he was, and would have been much less likely to bungle the stalin & japan issues. iirc he did support internment, so that is an unconscionable black mark, but i do not believe he would have dropped the bomb. however, that's pure conjecture.

- wallace was also not hobbled by personal prejudices the way fdr was, and was a far more honest embodiment of the promises of the new deal and what LBJ would come to call his great society; while we're all products of our times, henry wallace was akin to... let's go with Farmer Bernie Sanders in terms of empathy.

- having wallace at the helm of what was the end of one world and the beginning of another would have changed the future entirely; one of the few politicians of the time not willing to sell out civil liberties in the HUAC era, the possibility of whether the HUAC scare would have even happened is a big question, because it happened as a result of truman so heavily fucking up international relations + being a puppet for anti-communist hysterics. similarly, wallace not being displaced by truman wouldn't have caused the death of progressive politics for three generations - the progressive uptick we are seeing right now is what we haven't seen in more decades than we might care to remember, as even the 1960s had accepted certain facts that were up for debate in wallace's era, even though the 60s brought to an end some facts that were sadly NOT for questioning in wallace's time. while i still think the goldwater shitheel conservative revival would have happened, the ongoing fight against the new deal would have been delayed long enough for the voting public to see its undiluted benefits for longer, hopefully causing the worst parts of the goldwater revival to lose steam.

it's really just an exercise into an entirely different alternate history to even consider the possibility of wallace's ascendancy, as it would have happened at such a critical juncture that the flow-on from truman we know today would be drastically different.

Pure Essence

Reverb, Resound, and Repeat!
    Years
  • I personally would either:
    A: Make it so Israel is not argued to actually be part of Palestine. I support Israel but everywhere I've talked about it I've been told by half the people there that "Israel is part of Palestine" or "Free Palestine from Israel's existence" or whatever.
    B: Make it so that plot twists are not a part of cinema to a point where no plot twists would mean a movie's bad. I'm tired of plot twists.
    C: Make it so Pokemon's target demographic is older teens or adults. Pokemon is beloved by just as many if not more older teens or adults who grew up with the games then children, so Pokemon might make more money going for them.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I would have prevented the holodomor. For those who do not know about this disastrous event, it was a mass Ukrainian genocide that occurred from 1932-1933, in which the Russian government attempted to mass murder the Ukrainian people. Some estimate that as many as 13 million people died as a result of this tragedy. The sad thing is the Soviet Union at the time suppressed any information about this event and much of the world didn't know about its occurrence until the Soviet Union collapsed.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2023
    Umm...maybe I missed the instructions, but I'm honestly shocked to not see any prevention of the rise of the Nazi party...

I'm really hoping I'm missing something, but this honestly makes me feel something in a bad way...

Going to go with preventing Hitler's rise to power or keeping Lenin in power if the prevention of the Nazi party is not allowed.

Edit: Probably the best way to prevent the rise of Hitler imo, would be a better made Treaty of Versailles and less indulgence during the 1920's. Just preventing the decline of the German state post Great War essentially.

Last edited:
    Back