• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Pokémon Grafaiai teased for Scarlet and Violet

It has something to do with painted trees. Smeargle’s got competition!
Years
  • First think I imagined was some kind of air dancer, but with brushes instead of arms. I don't know how I came to that conclusion, but now I'll be disappointed if it isn't the case.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Hm. Is it an evolution of a regional Smeargle? Features a very similar brush tail. Presumes not, given the four-legged running pose. Hopes for it not to be.

Looks good in the silhouette. Imagines this as a Pokemon with lots of different appearances, like Spinda and Alcremie.

Years
  • I firstly thought it had to do with Smeargle, then I thought it could be Aipom or something, thinking it could be monkey based and considering Aipom's tail. Anyway, this teaser was quite unexpected, so I am looking forward to knowing the new pokemon!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Hm. Is it an evolution of a regional Smeargle? Features a very similar brush tail. Presumes not, given the four-legged running pose. Hopes for it not to be.

Looks good in the silhouette. Imagines this as a Pokemon with lots of different appearances, like Spinda and Alcremie.

I don't think so. Apparently, this Pokemon is based off an Aye-Aye. Smeargle is a dog.

It's probably a completely different Pokemon.

Anyway, I just want a proper reveal soon.

Years
    • Age 20
    • He/they
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 9, 2023
    Is it weird that when I read the name (before seeing the image), I assumed it would be a giraffe?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Hm. Is it an evolution of a regional Smeargle? Features a very similar brush tail. Presumes not, given the four-legged running pose. Hopes for it not to be.

Oh goodness, I hope not! If any Pokémon doesn't need a new evolution, it's Smeargle! Being able to have any moveset is already broken enough, but getting an evolution to make him even stronger wouldn't help matters at all, especially with the new mechanic that can change his type. My guess is that it's a Pokémon that's, similar to Scrafty, heavily in these streets, tagging up its turf with graffiti. Of course, its name and the fact that it marks its territory with paint sounds like a reference to graffiti.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • The hints were interesting, but I'm not sure what to expect. Right now, I'm having flashbacks to Tokakle from Xenoverse - a goddamn annoying graffiti Pokémon with an equally annoying cry. I hope Graffaiai doesn't follow in those footsteps and is instead cute or at least likeable.

(also, I can't believe it's September already! Are we supposed to get news today - the 1st? That would be amazing.)

Years
  • I'm meh on it right now, but after being able to properly watch the video it's less weird than I thought. Might warm up to it. Definitely looks nothing like I expected though lol.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Is it wearing a hoodie? Makes its face pop in a strange, alien way.

Feels kind of middling on it. Likes the bottom half way more than the top.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • I shouldn't have mentioned Tokakle.

I do not like this thing. I appreciate the graffiti gang-banger inspiration and believe it would be right at home with Team Skull (and on the topic of Xenoverse, with the Graffiti Artist Trainer class from that game), but I never liked monkey Mons and this one is no exception. Plus, its eyes creep me out.

Years
  • I love the typing, because it combines my two favourite types, but the design is... boring? Like not the worst, but it looks overdone. Also the 3D model looks ugly for some reason.

Years
    • Seen today
    When I first heard the name Grafaiai, I thought it was going to be a Girafarig evolution. Too bad it isn't. Either way, I like it.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • As some others, I thought it was also going to be a Girafarig Evo. But I am still sure we will get one.

Back to this pokemon. I am not sure why they made it a lemur when there is a monkey native to Spain they could have used. Honestly, we didn't need yet another monkey pokemon. There nice and all, but come on.... There are some animals who don't have nearly as much representation like the dog, cat and monkey have in the games. If a rhino who shot paint from its horn would have been so much better than another monkey.

I am also not a massive fan of the design. I guess the eyes are supposed to give it a 'futuristic' look like the theme seems to be. But the eyes ended up looking like bug eyes. I am indifferent about the typing. I don't like normal type pokemon, other than maybe a handful. At least it is a unique typing for a monkey.

Last edited:

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • This is definitely one of the more creative Pokémon in this gen.

Aye-Aye tend to have a long finger to tap on wood and the use it to scoop out the grub. This one uses its own spit on its fingers to paint to draw out prey (namely Bug-types), similar to how a real one does it.

Interesting this is a part Normal-type tho, especially when the real world sees the Aye-Aye as a more alien. I guess the Pokémon world just doesn't see this one as an alien despite its eyes looking like one.

Definitely liking the punk aesthetic for this one too and I'm glad it's not another generic monkey.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • Awww, it's - both cute and gross. Haha. But I love that we have another artist Pokemon, and especially that we got to actually see its work! 😄 And a Normal/Poison type is way overdue.

Back