• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mafia 101: The Basics [Beginner's Mafia]

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
  • Mafia 101: The Basics
    Beginner's Mafia
    New to mafia games and interested in playing a short, simple game without all those crazy characters and roles? Wanna learn some basic mechanics? This is the game for you!

If you'd like to get acquainted with some of our tips and tricks, check out Gunner's Guide here. It gives a great breakdown of how to play mafia games. Credit to user Muskratte on EpicMafia.com for the awesome role icons.

This short beginner's game will introduce you to some of the basic roles in a mafia game utilizing the simple mechanics of Epic Mafia, an online version of mafia that is popular here in the Underground. This game is intended for very new players, either brand new or still adjusting! I will admit experienced players into the game to fill slots if we reach a point where it's necessary, but otherwise come on new snails!

There's no plot and no frills. Just good ol' backstabby fun.

ROLES
    Villager
    Sided with the village, the basic vanilla role. Wins if all mafia are eliminated.

Cop
    Sided with the village, visits one person each night and learns their alignment (Village/Mafia/Third Party). Wins if all mafia are eliminated.

Doc
    Sided with the village, visits one person each night and protects them from death. Wins if all mafia are eliminated.

Deputy
    Sided with the village, carries a gun to be fired at one person any time during the game. Shooting the gun will not reveal your role. Wins if all mafia are eliminated.

Mafia
    Sided with the mafia, the basic mafia role. Wins if mafia outnumber village.

Hooker
    Sided with the mafia, visits one person each night and roleblocks them. Wins if mafia outnumber village.

RULES
    • All PokéCommunity rules apply here.
    • To vote for a player, simply post "[KILL] Username". This is standard practice in the Underground for votes. You may change your vote any time up until the end of a phase.
    • Phases will last 24/24 in this game, so be advised of that.
    • Keep game discussion in this thread or in chats designated for the game.
    • You are allowed a single post if you are lynched. This is called a death post and you are not allowed to share any game information in your final post.

PLAYERS
    1. Universe
    2. bobandbill
    3. Wiicked
    4. Sun
    5. Archy
    6. Spartacus
    7. Sheep
    8. Zehn
    9. KetsuekiR
    10. faer
    11. TheCapsFan
    12. Gobln
    13. Steel Master
    14. Aiden

Last edited by a moderator:

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I would like to try!

(Am I suppose to pick a role? I hope we're allowed to use a nickname when killing, haha!)

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I would like to try!

(Am I suppose to pick a role? I hope we're allowed to use a nickname when killing, haha!)

Roles get assigned after the game starts! Then there will be more detailed info available to you. :)

Years
  • If you got too many really new players I don't mind if you don't admit me in. But I kinda do think "still adjusting" fits to myself... so ...I'd like to join. At least I got the impression a lot of the "more advanced" games are ...beyond my understanding of the roles and stuff. I'd really appreciate playing a more simple game.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • If there's room I'll join in. I need to get back into it, so regrasping the basics is the best way right? :D

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 25, 2023
    Excited to see a lot of new names on the list!

Welcome everyone! I hope you all enjoy this Beginner's game, and stay in The Underground for future games as well!! :)

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Introduction & Syllabus
    Lesson 0
    Thank you all so much for signing up! I'm looking forward to giving you the ropes on Mafia! As we are beginning the game, you should have a PM with your role for this game. Do not share your role with anyone outside of the game.

The teams are...

dd4_zpshtnsjyed.png
    dd4_zpshtnsjyed.png
    dd4_zpshtnsjyed.png
    dd4_zpshtnsjyed.png
    dd4_zpshtnsjyed.png
    dd4_zpshtnsjyed.png
    dd4_zpshtnsjyed.png
    dd4_zpshtnsjyed.png
    dd5_zpsd3lptn8x.png
    dd9_zpsttn00kgb.png
    dd3_zpswqomap5c.png

VS.
    dd_zpsjqytzoxu.png
    dd_zpsjqytzoxu.png
    dd2_zpsquaonvw4.png

Each team's objective is listed alongside the role in the OP (whether you are sided with the Village or Mafia), as well as in the PM you received.

DURING THE NIGHT
    Each game of Mafia consists of two phases, a Day and a Night. During the Night, which we are currently in, you may not post. Some games will automatically eliminate you for posting during such phases, while others impose consequences against you.

In this game, we will follow the "night posts = elimination" rule, so direct all questions to me via PM or Skype.

During this time, if you have a Night Action (such as the cop investigation, doctor protecting, or hooker roleblocking), you may PM me your action and your target. During this time, the Mafia will also vote to kill a player by submitting a name to me through PM. Each Mafia member gets a vote in who to kill. Come Day, we may see the results of that work.

IMPORTANT NOTES

Remember not to share your role with anyone outside of the game. This is a very big no-no in mafia games, so be sure to abide by it. You may contact me via PM or Skype with any and all questions and I will be happy to help!

More instructions on how to play during the Day phase will come soon. For now, submit your Night Actions (referred to as NAs by players) if you have one. Villagers do not have a NA, so they must wait until Day. Remember to follow the other rules as explained in the OP.

Thank you all! Class dismissed.

*types own password* i'm in
    Sure, why not. I played some mafia elsewhere but it was a while ago (ignoring GT). I'm in!
    I'll give this a shot.
    I would like to try!
    Eh, why not. Time to see if I can survive more than two nights on a mafia game.
    I'll join if it's still possible, I haven't played this game before and, having read the guide, it sounds interesting.
    ooo lemme at it!
    total mafia beginner, good way for me to grasp the concept
    Il try this
    Don't know if I count as new but since I've only finished Blarz 2, I'd like to give this a go please :p
    If you got too many really new players I don't mind if you don't admit me in. But I kinda do think "still adjusting" fits to myself... so ...I'd like to join. At least I got the impression a lot of the "more advanced" games are ...beyond my understanding of the roles and stuff. I'd really appreciate playing a more simple game.
    I'll join if you have room for me!
    /join if i can
    In. Please.
    If there's room I'll join in. I need to get back into it, so regrasping the basics is the best way right? :D

Last edited:

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • First Day
    Lesson 1
    Sheep got sheered.

dd4_zpshtnsjyed.png
    dd4_zpshtnsjyed.png
    dd4_zpshtnsjyed.png
    dd4_zpshtnsjyed.png
    dd4_zpshtnsjyed.png
    dd4_zpshtnsjyed.png
    dd4_zpshtnsjyed.png
    dd5_zpsd3lptn8x.png
    dd9_zpsttn00kgb.png
    dd3_zpswqomap5c.png

VS.
    dd_zpsjqytzoxu.png
    dd_zpsjqytzoxu.png
    dd2_zpsquaonvw4.png

DURING THE DAY
    Congratulations on surviving your first night in Mafia 101 - except Sheep, of course, who fell victim to the Mafia.

As the Day phase begins, consider your options and discuss together who might be the most suspicious or trustworthy. The Cop, at this time, could share any information they received during their investigation (though they are not obligated to - it's sometimes better to remain quiet unless you have good information), while others may wish to stir chaos and claim to be the Cop themselves. You are really not restricted in what you do during a Day phase. You can claim facts, lie, try to start a bandwagon (when players consecutively begin voting for the same person with little reason), or end up being suspicious yourself!

One advisable tip to note is that we have the most Villager roles, so many people will claim to be a Villager. As the game goes on and roles dwindle, you may find yourself having to back up your role or even accepting your fate if you get in trouble.

As the Day progresses, remember to vote like so: [Kill] Username

You may change your vote at any time by simply posting a new target.

The person with the most votes at the end of the day will be lynched and the next Night will begin.

IMPORTANT NOTES

At this time in the game, the Deputy is able to shoot off their gun! They may PM or IM me at any time on who they wish to shoot. Their target will be killed immediately and nobody will know who did it!

Also be cautious of the Mafia, who will be pretending to be Village roles too!

Remember not to share your role with anyone outside of the game. This is a very big no-no in mafia games, so be sure to abide by it. You may contact me via PM or Skype with any and all questions and I will be happy to help!

*types own password* i'm in
    Sure, why not. I played some mafia elsewhere but it was a while ago (ignoring GT). I'm in!
    I'll give this a shot.
    I would like to try!
    Eh, why not. Time to see if I can survive more than two nights on a mafia game.
    I'll join if it's still possible, I haven't played this game before and, having read the guide, it sounds interesting.
    ooo lemme at it!
    total mafia beginner, good way for me to grasp the concept
    Il try this
    Don't know if I count as new but since I've only finished Blarz 2, I'd like to give this a go please :p
    If you got too many really new players I don't mind if you don't admit me in. But I kinda do think "still adjusting" fits to myself... so ...I'd like to join. At least I got the impression a lot of the "more advanced" games are ...beyond my understanding of the roles and stuff. I'd really appreciate playing a more simple game.
    I'll join if you have room for me!
    /join if i can
    In. Please.
    If there's room I'll join in. I need to get back into it, so regrasping the basics is the best way right? :D

Back