• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you name your character after yourself?

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
Pretty much name mine Caite...because why not....lol. I can pretend to be a Pokémon Master. As for my Rival....I name him after my best friend so I can kick his ass. LMAO!

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
Kinda but not really?

Like I usually give them usernames or a name that is more or less my nickname?

Raj

Pokemon Master
Years
Yes, unless the character is supposed to have an actual personality, I pretty much name all my Self Inserts my actual IRL name of Raj.

I generally find it enhances the effect, of drawing my attention when the characters address me.

That said for characters who do have a plot line and a personality, I try to just leave the default name instead. As it can have the opposite effect when they don't act much like me, and I don't like taking away agency from them.

Poke fan number 489

pokemon fan
Years
I mostly just name a character based on a name similar to the game version I'm playing, The only outlier is Sword where I used my real name and XY in which I was named Kami because compared to every other character in that game I was a god.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
It's usually either my name or Nah. I've done other names in the past, but for years I haven't felt like doing anything else and will likely stick to that.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Never even in the video game that be like asking for real name to be shown online.

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
Years
Mew: we normally use our body name yeah! for the games I play personally I usually do it when streaming or for videos, so I don't normally use my name because I like to go for more funny names, but sometimes I will

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
Yes, I always use my real name, Serenity, when naming my character. In games where an insufficient number of characters exist, I choose the name Serene, which is my real nickname that my friends and family call me.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
Well... I do now, since Vi and Vyel derive from my real name. However, most of my savefiles are named after two old aliases I don't use anymore, which... really makes me cringe sometimes. Next time I play those games, I will start making OCs or roleplaying as existing characters.

The only exception that came after I started using my real name (or variants thereof) was Xenoverse, and that was only because I got a spoiler that made pretending to be the main character really awkward...
Spoiler:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I randomly switch between Víctor and Went. The only exception is when I pick a female character, which I call Aldy (since... BW2) as a reference to an Argentinian friend.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
If I have the option to, I normally play as the female protagonist. I will choose random female names that I happen to like (Hazel, Angel, Jasmine, Scarlett, Celeste, Ava, etc). I normally do not use my first name as I think it's boring.

Some of my files are based on characters from other forms of media:
Tessa - after the same character in the anime Fullmetal Panic
Alice, Echo - after the same characters in the anime Pandora Hearts
Athena, Lilith, Aurelia, Moxxi - after the playable characters in the Borderlands video game series

The Foogle

Gone For Good
Years
Not anymore. Foogle became my persona for online stuff as well as my Mii/fictional stuff, so i just go by Foogle these days. And i like it that way, too.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Oct 7, 2023
Sometimes use my real name, sometimes one of my online persona names, and sometimes a name that feels relevant to the self-imposed challenge I'm currently doing.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 13, 2023
I often name my characters GIRL or BOY. I'm not very creative haha

Back