• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you name your character after yourself?

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
Years
  • YES. I do that for most of the video games I play, unless it's a male, to which I simply put down "Duke." I've been nicknamed that anyway, so let's go the extra mile why not.

It kinda helps me get immersed in the game.

Years
  • no, never! i always name my player character whatever their official name is (i.e. dawn/lucas for the player characters in dppt, nate/rosa for the player characters in bw2, etc.) because it makes me feel more like i'm watching a story unfold (which i like) instead of just inserting myself into the story (which i don't like)!

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • In R/B/Y and G/S I couldn't because there were no female trainers. However from then on for a while I did or used the nickname I went by with my ex. Over the past couple or few generations I have switched to using my username here. Now that I'm playing more online than I did in earlier generations, it makes sense to use a username instead.

I say all of that, but my main FFXIV character has my real first name as her first name. xD That being the most online game I have ever played.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    charizard because of my pokemon red i used whole game Charizard on my gba other 5 pokemons only used them to revive my charizard and give hp and won aal gym leaders with my charizard

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I used to name them the default name or something else arbitrary. But in recent years, since playing Sun actually, I've named my char after myself instead. Maybe I just got bored of trying to be creative with it, ahah.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/they
    • Oregon
    • Seen Mar 14, 2023
    I always go for my real name Benjamin or my other name Sophie because, to me, the silent protagonists in the series are meant to represent the player.

Years
  • I used to name my characters ASH in all caps thinking it was cool. Then I started naming them after the games, like Red for Fire Red and Gold for Heart Gold. I never used my real name since I liked the idea of making up my own characters, so I started coming up with different common names, mostly like Saul, Raul, Terry, Alex, and Howard.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • I've never once given a character my birth name, as I'm not fond of it as a first name. (I wouldn't mind it as a middle name, just not my first. and no, my real name isn't Alex)
    I've used my 'preferred' name in exactly one pokemon game and that was when I played as myself in Shield.
    (I've used it a few times in other non pokemon games as well depending on whether or not I'm playing as myself)
    For every other pokemon game I've played, I'd name the protags after different characters from stories I make, (Alex being one of these) or something random that I liked.
    (some examples of this would be 'Sammy' or 'Zack' from FR, 'Mark' from HG or 'Naomi' from SS and so on)

My most recent protag in Violet is named Nova, after a character in the most recent story I'm working on. (Whose full name is Novellia Delce BTW)

Last edited:

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I've never once given a character my birth name, as I'm not fond of it as a first name. (I wouldn't mind it as a middle name, just not my first. and no, my real name isn't Alex)
    I've used my 'preferred' name in exactly one pokemon game and that was when I played as myself in Shield.
    (I've used it a few times in other non pokemon games as well depending on whether or not I'm playing as myself)
    For every other pokemon game I've played, I'd name the protags after different characters from stories I make myself,(Alex being one of these) or something random that I liked.
    (some examples of this would be 'Sammy' or 'Zack' from FR, 'Mark' from HG or 'Naomi' from SS and so on)

My most recent protag in Violet is named Nova, after a character in the most recent story I'm working on. (Whose full name is Novellia Delce BTW)

Oh wow, I thought Alex was your real name. lol

So, you're a writer? That's pretty cool. 😊

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • Yeah, Alex is a name I give to any character in my works that fit a specific archetype.
    (If you'd like an example of a character I probably would've given this name to if he were mine, you can look up 'Kiel from Rune Factory 4'.
    He has a similar-ish character archetype to someone I'd name Alex)

I can't really call myself a 'writer' since I've never actually written any of my stories down sadly,
    but I love to craft them all the same.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • So... for my last Xenoverse run, I'm calling myself Mintaka, which is the name of my Pokémon self-insert as well as another alias I had chosen long ago but had kept under wraps. Needless to say, it feels a lot better than using Vyel, as I had started feeling like that name sounded a little eDgY. It requires me to ignore most of the lore of this game as well as try to get over the awkwardness of interacting with a character named Minta (whose Italian name is Silvia - much more fitting for a character implied to be Latin American), but otherwise it's great.

I could still use Vi in a future run, though, because I never really did and it sounds just as adorable as Mintaka.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Yes, I always name my character after myself: "Ursula".
    I also try my best to make the character just look like myself during the customization. That makes the whole adventure more engaging.

Back