• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

how tight-knit is your family?

Years
  • my family tends to only communicate with relatives every once in a while, though that could easily be because of distance (we live in the US while the remaining family members live in either russia, greece, or germany). the greek side is more social and enjoy socializing with each other, but overall we pretty much never actually go see family or vice versa. regardless, everyone seems to get along well from what i've seen, we're just less social than some other families. what about yours? how connected are they? do they get along?

Years
    • Seen today
    Very complicated since there is a large split. At gatherings or events people in my family will hardly associate outside of their groups.

I guess the best way to describe it is clique-ish.

I don't remember when it became this way, but at one point there was more unity.

Years
  • I wouldn't say we're tight-knit but we're close.

On my mum's side a lot of the birthdays are spread out throughout the year so we use them as the times to all come together as a unit to catch up. Also if there's an emergency with anyone everyone has each others back.

On my dad's side I'd say that we're all pretty close too except for some problems with 2 of my dad's 3 sisters who don't speak (and the problem only really lies with one of them as the other one has made it clear she wants to put the past behind them [and it was the stubborn sister's fault anyway so...]) but that one issue doesn't extend to us cousins who all get along fine. My dad's side is a lot larger than my mum's side and I kind of always felt like the odd cousin out growing up since I'm the baby cousin and I grew up in the north end of Liverpool whereas they all grew up in the south end. It's a nonissue now though since a notable amount of us spread out over the world and I'd say every single one of my cousin's grew up to be a nice person. Whenever there's a gathering conversation always flows and anyone can talk to anyone and feel comfortable.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • eeeeh. we're...okay? not super tight-knit. my mom and immediate family members (my two sisters and dad) are fairly close with me for the most part, but other than that my family is not very close. we all have just spread our different ways and have slowly just stopped talking to each other as often and getting together for events. it's a bit sad and makes me very sad at times but i'll be fine. my family used to be slightly more closeknit when i was younger, we used to get together a lot for holidays and stuff, but everyone just seems to be off doing their own things nowadays.

my boyfriend's immediate family is very closeknit for the most part, so that makes up for it whenever i go to visit him since i tend to do at least a few events or so or some sort of get together with his family. it's nice.

Bay

Years
  • My mom's side of the family seems to get along fine. My mom often hangs out with one of my aunts who is a couple cities over, and she would talk with her other relatives that are out of state once in a while. The last big family gathering was in summer 2015 shortly after my family and I moved to a new place and it was fun catching up with them.

My dad's side of the family pretty much are in Southeast Asia and he hasn't kept in touch with them in so long, so I never got a chance to know any of them.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Father's side - N/A as far as we've ever known, and with him dead, no reason to ever communicate with any relatives he may have.

Mother's side - All sorts of drama-seeking tendencies that I refuse to partake in. It's true that you carry all your family drama with you for decades, if these people are anything to go by. There's love between them all, but their relationships have been building up to a Ragnarok-style collapse over the last five years and it's pretty much all something they've brought on themselves. Christmas and days like that are fun, but last year was the first time in living memory that there wasn't a big Christmas get-together, and that was due to the rather heightened sense of drama and betrayal and god fucking knows what between all of them.

My own interactions - Measured unless it's my siblings. Mum is not likely to be someone I'm a fan of anytime soon, but we can talk. I don't really initiate conversations since there's always something going on that I don't want to partake in, but in the times that they're not having infights, they can be rather fun. I get a lot of my personality from my mother, particularly the sugar and ice interactions with people + my rather acidic wit. Also a joy for pettiness. However, if I have to step in to sort something out, I make sure the issue never arises again. But I'm too young to be essentially Dr. Phil-ing through their issues so I've kinda just removed myself from it all.

Last edited:
    Years
  • After my parents split about 10 years ago, I lost contact with literally everyone on my mom's side of the family (except for my grandma), even though we were never as close to them to begin with. My dad's side of the family is a different story though. Aside from a few extended family members, I keep in contact with everyone there in one way or another, and I probably talk to a few of my cousins more than I do either my sister or my dad.

Years
  • I'm really close with my mum, sister and Aunt and reasonably close to my paternal grandmother. Don't really give two shits about the rest and would joyously watch my maternal uncle die a long and painful death. So I guess it depends on the family member.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • My mom communicates with some of her family. My dad tries to. Not that they don't want to... just that it's challenging. Most of our family lives in other places, mostly Maine. We don't get a chance to visit them like I did as a kid. I think a lot of it has to do with the communication barriers. My mom stays in touch with her family on Facebook, and every Thanksgiving, she'll call them up and chat with them. So, it's not really that tight-knit. I got along pretty well with my extended family. A few incidents have occurred when I was a child with them, but they forgave it over time because I was only a child then. Also, my mom is a foster child... so she was placed into care at age three and raised by her now mother and late father. Like, she grew up thinking they were more or less her real parents because they raised her. She calls my grandmother every so often to let her know how things are etc. We also send her gift cards to get herself a little something for her birthday. The only thing about my extended family is that they tend to not know/understand my autism. My mom has never really told them a whole lot about my little quirks and eccentricities.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I love my parents!

So, how close are you to your parents? Do you get along well with them? Do you fight with them a lot? Tell us about your relationship with them.

As for me, I get along better with my dad than my mom. My dad is a god listener when it comes to chat and stuff, but my mom is the type who can't understand what I'm saying. It gets annoying too because she takes everything the wrong way. My mom can be really bothersome, and we fight more like sisters than we are mother and daughter. She makes these weird noises, and she's always loud when I'm watching TV. I tend to get after her a lot, but she's the type who just keeps going and going. She'll also get obsessed with certain topics and talk about them nonstop like a scratched record. My dad and I suspect she might have a touch of autism. My dad on the other hand, is as I said, a little more understanding and tries to back me up. I also live with my parents because of my disabilities and mental health issues... so I have to deal with them.

Years
  • I don't really talk to anyone outside of my immediately family due to language barriers.

And unfortunately, I don't talk to my brother or my father because they're kinda off doing their own thing. Hardly even know what they're both up to, anymore.

Years
  • They're sorta scattered everywhere now, but before my great grandmother died we'd have huge parties and stuff with everyone, that's on my dad's side at least.
    My mother's family is mostly dead, sadly, my remaining aunts are all in Newfoundland and it's REALLY expensive to go there.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Our extended family is quite tight knit. We have aunts / uncles over quite often to celebrate occasions like birthdays or have a catchup which can either be held at our house or we go over to their place. Our family will also go over to see relatives in China such as grandparents - my parents will also go back frequently by themselves. So overall, it's quite a close and connected family. Personally I don't really feel that close to anyone in our family, used to be very close with a particular cousin but we've barely talked these days due to growing up and seeing each other less often. I've appreciated my parents more over the years too, but it's still not the best of relationships.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I don't have an extended family that I know of. I've never spoken to anyone on my father's side of the family, and my mother barely keeps in touch with her two younger sisters. I've never met any of my cousins - outside of my aunt's kid, anyway - and we're all scattered across the country so we rarely see each other. Although my mother and I both talk to her parents - my grandparents - every week, so I guess there is that.

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    dads side is very tight. family reunions nationwide, family dinners, the whole deal. moms side on the other hand has weird drama. like half my mothers siblings dont speak to one another, but my immediate family is somewhat in the middle of it all so were cool with everyone. see them less frequently but still a fair amount. still more than id like to!

baire

many such cases
    Years
  • I'm decently acquainted with an aunt/uncle/cousin on my mum's side, and visiting them is always a joy. I've visited and met most my extended family from my mum's side actually

my relationship with my mum has been pretty bad for most my life, but its gotten considerably better over the past couple years. relationship with my dad used to be really good, but we've mostly lost contact and if it weren't for the fact that he's easy to find on google I'd literally have no idea what country he even lives in

I'm told I have grandparents, many cousins etc. on my dad's side, but I've never seen or heard from them. I know that they (probably) exist but how many or what they are like is beyond me. thing is my dad grew up in a one of the poorest locations in China - some derelict village that didn't even have access to running water, so me growing up in a fairly well off family meant that I wasn't ever exposed to them

but I've been wanting to get into contact again with him. lately I've taken a really strong interest in abstract algebra/number theory, his area of research is crypography and the mathematics behind most of the popular public-key algorithms is almost entirely just abstract algebra/number theory (ie integer factorization and elliptic curves over finite fields). so that gives me an excuse to (eventually) talk to him a bit more I guess

Back