• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Revealed

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
  • This was completely unexpected and a bit shocking to say the least. The release date seems soooo far away D:

Maybe it will be enough time for Nintendo to devise marketing strategies to really paint this one up. So far, I'm not nearly as impressed as I was with the initial Sun & Moon promotional coverage. I'm confident that opinion will change in time, as it usually does where Pokemon games are concerned. I try to be cynical to begin with so I can really be surprised down the pipeline.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Maybe it will be enough time for Nintendo to devise marketing strategies to really paint this one up. So far, I'm not nearly as impressed as I was with the initial Sun & Moon promotional coverage. I'm confident that opinion will change in time, as it usually does where Pokemon games are concerned. I try to be cynical to begin with so I can really be surprised down the pipeline.

usual pokemon company release tbh. they usually don't start hyping things up until a few months in. i just really hope it has that it factor that older third games have.

Years
  • I do hope it's a sequel, not an alternate universe thingy. We've had that way too often in Gen VI.

I'm with you. I'd rather it be a B2/W2-like sequel rather than the stupid alternate universe, since the upcoming 20th movie has brought up that theory again and I don't usually like how AUs have messed up the official timeline, as OR/AS seems to have proven with the "Mega dimension" and "Non-Mega dimension" thing mentioned by Zinnia.

Sean Flame

*#@()@(!#¥{
    Years
  • UPDATE: SWITCH VERSION?

"Edit @ 15:40: It is currently noted that The Pok?mon Company International's press site is listing Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon as being on the Nintendo Switch with a "To Be Announced" date. It's currently unclear if this means they will come out on Nintendo Switch in the end but we'll provide all details as and when they come. They have since deleted this note." - Serebii

Hype bois.

?Pok?mon Ultra Sun and Pok?mon Ultra Moon are coming exclusively to Nintendo 3DS family of systems and are not due for release on Nintendo Switch,? a representative told Polygon (emphasis theirs). They said, ?This listing on the Pok?mon press site was made in error and is not indicative of future plans.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    YYYYEEEEEAAAAHHHH IM SO STOKED HOLY FUCK

IM BUYING MOON TODAY JUST BECAUSE OF THIS

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • ?Pok?mon Ultra Sun and Pok?mon Ultra Moon are coming exclusively to Nintendo 3DS family of systems and are not due for release on Nintendo Switch,? a representative told Polygon (emphasis theirs). They said, ?This listing on the Pok?mon press site was made in error and is not indicative of future plans.

Saw this after the fact on Serebii. Shame, but it was all just speculation in the first place so I can't be too mad. :)

blue

gucci
    Years
  • i'm just so glad they went back to the global WW release date. after having both ORAS and SM 5 days later than everywhere else, it will be nice to be able to play along with everyone once again without having the risk of spoilers.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    This was pretty surprising and looks interesting, but I'm not sold yet. Hopefully E3 helps give more info on it to sell the game. If it's like other 3rd versions it could end up pretty good though so I'll hold hope for now.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Pok?mon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Versions - Thoughts:

Well, Pok?mon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Versions (US/UM)were quite the shocker! At the beginning of the June 6th, 2017 Nintendo Direct (Pok?mon Edition), I saw footage of Pokk?n Tournament and was like "Yess; Pokk?n Tournament Deluxe exists, just like I anticipated at some point! But drat; our worst fears confirmed - agh, the presentation is dedicated to a spin-off game! The dream is dead; time to pack it in..". And then mere seconds later, US/UM confirmed! - "Worth it!", followed by the pleasant surprise of the Virtual Console rerelease of Pok?mon Gold and Silver Versions!

The "Necrozma armor (Prismatic Armor?)" looks a bit weird on Solgaleo/Lunala, but hey - new forms; w00t! ^^ But, ugh, why do Necrozma's limbs look so ugly and afterthought-ish?
    Although many people seem to have been expecting a Nintendo Switch release of US/UM (purportedly "Stars", possibly?), I am fine with US/UM being the "last hurrah" for Pok?mon on the Nintendo 3DS, although I feel that the Pok?mon core series will move to either the Nintendo Switch or a hypothetical "Nintendo 4DS" eventually (mostly the former, in my eyes). At least, any potential Nintendo Switch core-series Pok?mon games will be that much cooler/meaningful when they do appear/exist - and for those who want them, potential Pok?mon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum remakes may turn out to be even prettier than Pok?mon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire...!

This "alternate story" looks like it will be going the route of an "Alolan third version".. Either merely enhancing the Alolan story that we know, or doing a Naruto Shippuden: Road to Ninja alternate-universe-ish approach where not only events unfold a bit differently, but radically differently, with character personalities being significantly altered, along with different character and/or Pok?mon appearances..

But ugh... like a fellow Bulbapedian once said something similar to, it's like we know what US/UM are, but simultaneously don't know what they are at all! Game Freak are practically the kings of vagueness/ambiguity (which seems like the antithesis/direct counter to Bulbapedia's encyclopedic approach.. XD).. I can't tell if we will get new new Pok?mon forms (including or excluding Alolan forms), new Pok?mon entirely, or just non-Alola-Pok?dex Pok?mon! I am anticipating new Alolan forms/regional variants, non-Alolan-dex Pok?mon of past generations, and new Ultra Beasts, although I have a sneaking suspicion that all of US/UM's Pok?mon will manifest as new "otherworldly/alternate universe" Pok?mon despite looking like Alolan Pok?mon. And we also might get something "Generation 8"-ish as well; who knows?! But it's weird that the Pok?mon website is explicitly avoiding calling Alolan-looking Pok?mon by their names as we know them.. Tsk, tsk..

In any case, I still hope that Solgaleo, Lunala, and Necrozma are all available within one game like they are in Pok?mon Sun/Moon (SM)..

The timing of US/UM looks like an insult to the first-adopters of SM, though.. I mean, it hasn't even been a year since SM's release! Although we have had cool third versions in the past and they complete their "trios" relatively nicely, I thought we had moved past that practice, and now we're getting a "dual-release third version"? And in this age of easier-to-distribute downloadable content (DLC), "third versions" just seem like unnecessary double-dipping.. US/UM don't even have that much of a proper rationale, at least something like Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 had the "excuse" (if you want to call it that) of the 2011 earthquake of Japan's Tohoku region, but US/UM just seems like a blatant cash-grab.. I'll wait and see how the content turns out, but it's going to be annoying if US/UM's new content could've been easily implemented as SM DLC.. Somewhat fortunately, I don't have Pok?mon Sun Version yet (faux patience for the win, I guess? >_>), but I would've been livid if it hadn't been a year yet since the original release and Game Freak just went and announced the updated rerelease of Pok?mon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Versions like that.. Well, I hope that people who bought SM already can at least get a discount on US/UM if warranted.. As it is now, I'm intent on just getting Pok?mon Ultra Sun, although I would probably get Sun/Ultra Moon if one game from each Generation 7 game is needed for something, or Sun/Ultra Sun if there's a tight story link like Pok?mon Black 1 and Black 2 had. I'll probably comment in other threads for further remarks..

Oh, and I'm glad that Europe's US/UM date is identical to the rest of the world now! The SM 1-week delay for Europe is just even more perplexing now..

Years
  • We need a pinned thread teaching the difference between...

Remake
    Sequel
    Third Version

I support this, since the confusion is so annoying.

This was pretty surprising and looks interesting, but I'm not sold yet. Hopefully E3 helps give more info on it to sell the game. If it's like other 3rd versions it could end up pretty good though so I'll hold hope for now.

I feel they won't show much, but I do hope we get some gameplay footage. However, considering that the games were only just announced, they may not. CoroCoro could cover new info if E3 doesn't though.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • This was completely unexpected and a bit shocking to say the least. The release date seems soooo far away D:
    Not really, 5 or so months is more typical of Pokemon games I feel. And SM had 9 months.
    I am a bit surprised that the direct focused on Pokken more than these games. Still, early days!

Years
  • I am a bit surprised that the direct focused on Pokken more than these games. Still, early days!

That's true. We will be getting trailers released monthly which will be pretty much covering what we need to know, so it's not all that bad that Direct didn't focus on US/UM.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • >new game releasing this year

iTirNTD.gif

...though not sure whether to trust the release date. Exactly 52 weeks after SM? (I mean i know SM also came 52 weeks after SMD but shhhhh)

But in all seriousness though, I will be looking forward to this. Just remove the annoying beginning cutscene and I will be 100% satisfied.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I am a bit surprised that the direct focused on Pokken more than these games. Still, early days!

Said focus on Pokken - which seems like just a port to the Switch - is what worries me! If a port gets more coverage than a main series game, there's either so much to show that they want to cleverly stagger the best info over the next five months, or there's so little that they... want to cleverly stagger what little they have over the next five months. ;b

Years
  • Said focus on Pokken - which seems like just a port to the Switch - is what worries me! If a port gets more coverage than a main series game, there's either so much to show that they want to cleverly stagger the best info over the next five months, or there's so little that they... want to cleverly stagger what little they have over the next five months. ;b

Look on the bright side! Not focusing much on US/UM means there is more to hype about and that can be a good thing when you're on a place like PC where discussion and speculation is everywhere. There's sometimes a positive side to not showing much right away.

Back