• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

AOL Instant Messenger versus MSN/WLM Messenger

Years
  • Most of my IRL friends were on AOL Instant Messenger (AIM), and it was the platform I signed up for first (as like...tymew2000 or smth). But, I probably used MSN Messenger a lot more, as most of my online friends used it lmao. If I had to choose between the two, it'd probably be MSN.

Which platform did you prefer? Which did you use the most? (Or did you just use...a completely different platform like Yahoo Messenger)

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen yesterday
    Well thas a good question tymew2000, the answer is MSN is superior and anyone who disagrees is wrong and very old (likely over 55)

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I grew up with AOL so it was AOL all the time. Once I got older I had both AOL and MSN.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    My first one was ICQ. I had MSN for a short while afterwards but dropped it mostly when the first Linux version of Discord was released.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I think I just missed AOL because no one I knew used that, but I loved MSN so much I had this lmao

UT8a8GHXoxaXXagOFbXw.jpg

it lights up and flaps its wings when you get an MSN notification

Years
  • MSN/WLM is where i spent a vast majority of my early internet years so i'm going to go for that. barely used AIM at all, really.

pkmin3033

I started on AIM when I was 11 or so and we had dialup...dark days. My teens were spent on MSN and it was my main chat client for years, I had so many contacts and it felt so much easier to connect with people on it. WLM was trash. Like, worse than Skype trash.

Years
    • Seen today
    I don't remember AOL or it being a big thing. By the time I was growing up facebook chat was already out there, and that's how i kept in touch with everybody from school. I never felt the need to use anything else.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I didn't use either of them? I used Skype, lmfao. By the time i used Aim it was literally dead, and MSN made me anxious because of the loud noises whenever you got messages...now you can't even pay me to use instant messaging services.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Old times, I used yahoo messager and MSN messager because it only thing my friend ever used to communicate those were really common back in the days

• Anyone remember the MsgPlus addon for MSN/WLM? It added a bunch of awesome features like having colors in your display name, pinning contacts to your desktop, etc.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • Oh, fond memories of MSN.

That's how me and my life partner stayed in touched.
    Staying up till 12am on webcam.
    Spam-Nudging friends to the point of annoyance.

Kept in touch with my first few friends from Pokécommunity on MSN too.
    I still speak to one of them through discord!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I used both back in the day. Half of my friends had AOL and the other half used MSN. It was hard to navigate between the two tbh.

I do miss the little widgets and winks MSN had. Those were epic.

UntriedGlisteningIndigowingedparrot-max-1mb.gif

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • I used AOL for sure a bit growing up. But I definitely used MSN a lot more, mostly as a younger teen before it died out and was discontinued. Idk if that's the right word.

Kind of upset it's gone now:(

Back