• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is the first starter you picked your favorite?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    My first starter was Squirtle. I do like Blastoise and back then it was my favorite. But I don't think it's my favorite of them all. Later generations introduced starters like Meganium, Swampert and Decidueye that I like at least as much if not even more.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    The first starter I've ever picked is Totodile, so Feraligatr is the first fully evolved starter I've ever obtained. And to this day, it's still my favourite.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • The very first starter that I ever picked was Snivy, and Serperior is one of my all-time favorite Pokémon without question. However, I can't really say that Serperior is my actual favorite starter Pokémon, as I do love Feraligatr and Blaziken as well, but Serperior is definitely up there. I hope that other starters make their return to the Pokémon games in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet so that I could add Serperior to my team again. I miss her so much.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Chose Squirtle. No. Prefers other starters in a contest of base form (Totodile, Rowlet, Snivy), middle form (Torracat and maybe Ivysaur), and final evolution (Greninja and maybe Decidueye). Ranks the evolutionary line as a whole fairly well, though. Never dropped the ball on any form.

Years
  • I think my first starter ever was Squirtle, though I did also use Charmander in gen 1.
    I don't dislike the Squirtle line, but it's not anywhere near a favorite position.

From all starters the Fennekin line is my absolute favorite. Perfection from beginning to end.

Years
  • My first game was Yellow, so I didn't have much choice. But I like Pikachu. Not my favourite starter or even Electric-type, but certainly in the upper half of the ladder of both.

Years
  • Fun story time. It was one of my first experiences with video games and some things weren't clear to me at all lol. My first pokemon game was pokemon diamond. Out of the three I chose piplup, but I didn't know how to save lol. So every single time I used to restart the game from the beginning and the second time I chose turtwig, the third one chimchar and the last time piplup again. While playing, my parents kinda helped me figuring put how to save and so I saved with my piplup, who was indeed my first choice lol. Yes, it's definitely my fav pokemon! That piplup is now a very OP Empoleon! So, there are indeed some memories and feelings behind my fav pokemon!

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    My first starter was Pikachu, and that is definitely not my favorite. Even if you go to the first game I had a real choice in, Charmander/Squirtle/Bulbasaur are still not my favorite starter.

Years
  • I have alot of favorite starter Pokemon. Bulbasaur is the first starter Pokemon I picked and that's one of my favorite.

Years
  • First I believe was Squirtle for me. Not my very favorite but higher up there. Wartortle is my favorite if middle and final forms are counted though, so in that regard it may count. <3

Fun story time. It was one of my first experiences with video games and some things weren't clear to me at all lol. My first pokemon game was pokemon diamond. Out of the three I chose piplup, but I didn't know how to save lol. So every single time I used to restart the game from the beginning and the second time I chose turtwig, the third one chimchar and the last time piplup again. While playing, my parents kinda helped me figuring put how to save and so I saved with my piplup, who was indeed my first choice lol. Yes, indeed it's my fav pokemon! Like that piplup that is now a very OP Empoleon is my fav pokemon! So, there are indeed some memories and feelings behind my fav pokemon!

awww this is cute

pkmin3033

My first starter was Charmander, and I very quickly went off it precisely because it was my first, haha. The almighty fire lizard was absolutely useless in the first two Gyms, and my ten year old brain did not understand type matchups and levels at the time, it being my first time experiencing such mechanics.

I think even if I hadn't of had such a sour experience with it Charmander wouldn't be my favourite even still, not when Piplup exists as the perfect line and when there are far better first stage starters in later generations, such as Torchic and Rowlet. But despite everything, I am still somewhat fond of Charmander.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Nnnnope! My first starter was Torchic, but it's not even my favourite Hoenn starter - that distinction goes to Mudkip and its line.

My actual favourite starter is Cyndaquil, even more so now that it has an alternative final evolution of my favourite type.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Not really. If i pick squirtle over charmander because battling reason then it's not and my favorite still charmander

Poke fan number 489

pokemon fan
    Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Earth
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    I love samurott. I have always loved samurott. I had one named Tsunami, and it's still my only level 100 pokemon. But it's wasn't my first starter, technically it was cyndaquil.

Back