• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Male or female player?

Years
  • Do you typically play as the male or female playable character in main series games? What do you usually name them (real name, OC name, their canon name, etc)?

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I've always played as the female character and just named them after whatever name I'm using online at the time, but every so often when I played Gen 3 I'd just leave the name entry blank so it gave me a random name, and I'd just keep doing that until I got one I liked.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • it depends on the design usually. i think in most cases the girls win bc of krys and rosa whose designs i like a lot. i have never played as calem in XY bc i think he is just. the ugliest protag lol. i think i mostly go with the guy in dppt. idk it just really depends, esp if i already have a team planned.

anyway, i never use my real name, i usually use al/alli/allison, whichever i'm feelin the most, but like for gen 7 and 8 i feel like my protags are more like ocs at this point. i didn't name my guy in moon an al variant, his name is konani and he has a very feminine team and i didn't plan that at all lmao it just ended up that way. allison in sword is similar, her team is all punk-y except for alcremie and she dresses in all pastels. it's hilarious. since customization tbh i think my characters feel more like their own than before. but i never really make my characters a version of me per se, aside from using my nickname for some. i usually don't even pick my skin tone tbh just bc the different option is there. so it's like why not. it's just fun to create new characters in latter pokemon games tbh. like i don't even know the canon names bc you can customize them and make them your own character so like who Cares what their canon names are honestly lol

Years
    • Seen today
    I alternate depending on the design.

Usually I'll put my actual name, but on occasion I take the protagonist name of another game I just finished and use that for my trainer.

Years
  • sometimes in rom hacks i play as the girl to try and spot areas where the game maker instinctively used male pronouns. happens a lot more often than you think lol.

pkmin3033

Always female, because the male characters have all looked practically identical since Gen IV. If they actually bothered to put more effort into the male character's design I might pick them once in a while =/

I've just used my name for the last few games - which is kinda weird thematically, since there is only one Dawn in the games - but I have occasionally used canon names or something else.

Years
  • For main playthroughs I do male and for nuzlockes female. Reason being, obviously I go male for immersion but the female models usually look better so I use them for nuzlockes.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    maybe it was a strong hint about myself, that I've never had any particular preference for the girl or boy char when playing these games. I've always switched it up on a whim, it really doesn't matter to me.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen yesterday
    At first I'd pick the male character nearly every time, but then I had the realization that... who I pick in game doesn't always have to look like me. By now, I mostly pick female characters and can agree on the fact that they usually have more interesting designs. Oopsies :D

Years
  • I've been going with female since one was introduced in Crystal! As a girl I prefer to insert myself into the game and name her after myself. Makes the game more enjoyable. I tried naming my player after my OC a few times but it just didn't feel right.

I agree with Figure that the female models tend to be better, and also usually have nicer customization options in gen 6 and later too. Just another bonus for me!

Years
  • I always select the male character. but in pokemon emerald, I do select May sometimes.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I think I may have played as a female once when replaying Gen. III, but I generally pick male and name my character after myself (Alex or Alex B.). I picked KAMON for my character's name in my very first game though and sometimes use Xander.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Always play as the female character in Pokémon games nowadays, and in most games where the option is available

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Usually the female character due to their better design. An exception to this is Hoenn, though.

I don't know why but the male design is just so boring and uninspired most of the time. They also look way too similar.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Always play as both, and have been for years. But, nowadays, after I beat the game w/the girl character, I play the second game with the male character more since customization exists.

Years
  • For main playthroughs I do male and for nuzlockes female. Reason being, obviously I go male for immersion but the female models usually look better so I use them for nuzlockes.

this is actually a really good idea. an easy way to differentiate chill playing vs challenge mode playing. i'mm do this from now on thanks man.

Back