• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trainer names

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    When naming your trainer, do you name them after your real name or do you go by an alias?

My name "Alfieri" fits the 7 character limit but I prefer going by the alias of "Owen" because I really like that name a lot and it was supposed to be my actual birth name.

Years
  • I use the name Nichole, which is actually my real-life name. In fact it's always tradition that I name my Trainer that in any main playthroughs. There was only one playthrough I didn't use the name and that was my original Ruby where I accidentally named my trainer "Terra" probably because it was my first game and I was so excited I forgot about entering my name.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I either name my character as my real name, as what it's usually called in the anime (Rosa, Nate, Hilda, etc.), or something random that sounds nice and fitting. What I choose depends on my mood at that moment, but usually I stick to my real name.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I used to use my real name as my character's name a long time ago, but I haven't done that in years (since about the R/S/E days). Usually what I've been doing since D/P/Pt is either naming my character after characters from other video games, or whatever random crap comes to mind. I often have a hard time picking names for anything.

A couple of names I use commonly for characters are Stella and Elsa. Stella is one I've been using for quite a while and really like (and is the name of my character on my Y). I've only used Elsa once in Pokemon games; that was on my White (but I plan to use that name again on ORAS and subsequent playthroughs of White). I didn't pull the name Elsa from Frozen, btw. Black/White came out before Frozen. I pulled it from a ship of the same name from the Xenosaga series, which in turn gets its name from the female lead of Wagner's Lohengrin (and the opera is apparently an adaptation of a medieval story).

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Before, I would just select names that would appear from selection screen, just so I could save my time and whatnot. Last time I had done it was in Emerald, I believe... or maybe it was Diamond, haha. Nowadays, however, I tend to avoid that, and use my real name whenever possible.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I'm thinking about using my real name starting with Alpha Sapphire. I'm just gonna be a little OCD when all of my other pokemon that get transferred will have a different OT name lol.

Years
  • I used my trans name in my X, and for Omega Ruby I am gonna use my trans middle name, Korynne (pronounced Core-rin). Usually in an older generation I'll name them after whatever, or back in my brony days I would name my self after my OC pony.

I've seen dark days.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I typically name myself Alli(son), Jak, or Syd(ian). I used to name myself all sorts of different names, usually whatever names I was obsessed with, haha. If I'm doing a challenge with a particular theme, I usually follow a name scheme with my trainer and Pokemon. For a Christmas challenge, for example, I named myself Noelle.

Years
  • Any time that I'm playing a Pokemon game for the first time, I'll always name the player character after myself (Brendan), which left me for a nice surprise when I first picked up Sapphire.

On the other hand, I'm slightly considering a different name to use when ORAS comes out, as I can only assume that Brendan will be the most common name for people playing with the male character. I don't have anything in mind yet though, so it won't surprise me if I just continue that trend anyway.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I usually pick whichever protagonist design that I like better, then pick a name that fits the gender of that protagonist. I've only used my real name in Sapphire (and in the upcoming Alpha Sapphire!) and Black, because the former was my first game and Black because I don't know why. None of my other names really have any significance they're all really just random.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Always and forever have gone by my real name, Ashley. I also go by Marie in my French playthroughs of XY. I have gotten creative lately and used different names on games where I'm doing challenges or something, like my NFE challenge in SoulSilver uses the name Parfait and my current LeafGreen save file uses Leaf.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I usually go by my own name the first couple run thrus because I'm making "serious teams." Take that as you will. After that I tend to make a lot of themed teams and I get so into it that I give my character a name that goes along with the theme of the team. This makes me feel so cheesy ahahah

Years
  • In most of my main games (like Pearl, White 2 and X) I named my character Scott, which is my real name. But oftentimes in challenges and such i'll use different names, even if they're unoriginal normal person names. If they're Monotype or Mono-Color runs though, i'll try to find a name that fits the theme of it.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    No, I hate using my own name lol. I just make something up randomly for every play through. When I can't be bothered to think of anything else, I will just use my name, but I try to use something different. Or, I'll just use the characters name from the Manga or Anime.

Years
  • I used to just always put Ash when I was little, then I grew up and I was like I am way better then Ash then I realize even the bug catcher is better then Ash. After coming to that conclusion I always put my real name for some reason it does not feel right if I don't. I make sure all Pokemon on my team have my ot name otherwise my OCD kicks in of course I don't have a choice for the events :(

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't think I've ever once named a character after my irl name. These days I'm using Tomato Soup on my main runs, provided it fits. Second playthroughs I'll sit at the name screen for awhile and see what I can think of haha.

porygoing

Kreeeeeh
    Years
  • My characters always named after Pokemons.
    Spoiler:

And Chansey in Soulsilver.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I think I went with one of the default names, Kamon, for Silver and carried that name over to Red. I started using my real name (Alex B.) after that and, more recently, Xander (the name I gave the Pok?mon Trainer OC that I based on myself). I haven't decided for certain which name I'll use in Ultra Sun or if I'll use my screen name.

Last edited:
    Back