• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

30 Days of Gaming Challenge

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
  • Day 9 - Saddest game scene

I have to agree with thedestinedblade. When I first completed FFX the entire end cutscene just destroyed me. I was pretty young and hadn't played many sad video games at the time so having a bunch of crash bandicoot and other happy friendship games as my main gaming experience at the time, FFX was like a slap straight to feels ever since you left mt gagazet. Not to mention I really feel for Tidus because Jecht really reminds me of my dad in a lot of ways, except for the part where he's a giant monster.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Day 9: Saddest game scene.

The very first thing that came to me was in Gears of War 3.

If you've played it, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Though maybe not expecting me to bring it up.

Spoiler:

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
    Years
  • Day 8 - Best soundtrack
    I LOVE the soundtrack of Xenoblade Chronicles. Some relaxing overworld music, but awesome battle themes (especially the final boss battle theme).

Day 9 - Saddest game scene
    Xenoblade gets a mention again. (SPOILERS! Don't open the tag if you're planning to play Xenoblade Chronicles or haven't finished it yet!)
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Day 10 - Best gameplay.

Credits go to ChrisMeier018 for this picture.

I reeeeeeaaaallly liked Kid Icarus: Uprising a lot. It was a very engaging game that always left you feeling satisfied and wanting more. The characters were funny and memorable and it just had a lot of replay value no matter how many times you've played it.

The controls were great in my opinion, but I will admit that in the beginning the controls needed a bit to get used to. However that was quickly made up for the fact that the game has a ridiculous amount of weapons to use with many of them you probably won't ever use (honestly I just stuck with the Silver Bow for like the whole game).

Last edited:

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years

I always consider the original Bioshock to be a complete classic and the gameplay was superb. I loved combining plasmids, perks, and guns to form deadly ambushes on Big Daddies and splicers. That Chameleon perk was the best part of the game and I always loved letting enemies pass or dipping into the shadows and being lost to them.

DerpyTails

PokeBrony
    Years

I'm going with Fat Princess on the PS3 on this one, nothing beats working together to save your own Princess being voiced by Tara Strong :)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Day 10 - Best gameplay
    ....Man I don't know.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Day 10: Best Gameplay - Dead Space (Original)

Reason why I chose this game was because it was the very first horror game that I played to completion and then repeatedly played afterwards. The weaponry used was unique and felt great to use, the environment changed and was consistently scary, and the upgrade system was challenging in the fact that you needed to be wise about which one you did upgrade as it could be awhile before you had the ability to upgrade again. Every save point was like a god send, and the story for the game was invigorating all the way through, something that I feel a lot of games fall flat on.

Yukari

From day 1 I had already decided.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

This game, oh this game. While it do several things wrong, it nailed the gameplay. It's probably the best combat I've ever seen in an RPG. It takes some notes from hack n' slash games, but still has all of the core RPG combat. I really don't think that I could do the game justice here, but trust me: the gameplay is amazing. I'm just sad that I ran out of Game-time for it.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • 30 Days of Gaming Challenge

Day 10 - Best gameplay

I always have a fun time with Pokemon games and I don't think there are any in the main series that you can go wrong with. Pokemon games are always easy to pick up and jump into whether you're new or old and while the formula is generally always the same, there's always extra features and side games to do unique to each game, like slots, contests, join avenue, wonder trade, you name it. I didn't pick a specific game for the list because I genuinely enjoy all of the games and think they're a blast. There's a reason I restart them to play challenges in every year, haha. I really never get tired of them and they have so much replayability in that you can have a different team every time. It's always a fun experience. :)

Shoutouts to Rayman 2: The Great Escape and Super Mario Galaxy 2 as well. Those are super fun to play and everything is so fluid in those games. They get addicting and I lose track of time when playing.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years

You Died: The Game

Dark Souls. I say Dark Souls and not Dark Souls 2 because Dark Souls 2 was a lot easier for me and the combat felt less realistic than it already was. I could go on for a while on why Dark Souls has the best gameplay, but you already know.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Day 10 - Best gameplay

Personally for me, on fun factor alone, it's the Pokemon games. It's the only series of games where the story, characters, etc. don't matter as much to me in terms of replay value. As long as the core gameplay of capturing, training, and battling remain, I'm always coming back for more.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Day 10: Best gameplay.

The best-best?

I.. don't know. I want to mention so many memorable games all at the same time.

I want to give a mention to Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, but Platinum Games always knows what they're doing when they make an action game.
    I want to mention LoZ: Twilight Princess for the vast improvements they made to horseback fighting and swimming.
    Resident Evil 4, for managing to be a fabulous mix of the survival horror we loved and still improving the shooting, without becoming a completely different game like 5 and 6 did.
    Bioshock - 1 and Infinite - for the reasons Klippy already mentioned.
    Clive Barker's Jericho for successfully implementing the strategic squad-based points -- switching between characters with better abilities suited for the task at hand -- while still being a difficult FPS/horror game..

Bah. So many games with great gameplay. ...If I had to pick one, I'd still be torn between RE4 and Jericho. D:

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years
  • Day 9, Saddest game scene
    If it isn't obvious enough, Aeris' death in FF7 is what impacted me the most.

Day 10: Best gameplay.
    Touhou Project. Many people are not into these bullet hell games due to concerns with seizures, but unlike myself...I found it boring to play even on the easiest difficulties...but when I played on the hardest difficulties, that's where the real fun was at, and should one conquer this obstacle, greater rewards await in the long run. Apparently, call me crazy, but playing it on hardest difficulties sure provided me some real life perks - especially in social life.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Day 7 - Favorite game couple.
    I was doing this thread consistently every day and then this prompt happened and I froze and couldn't decide what to answer because I have a LOT OF OTPS... so now I'm behind. :(

Right now my OTP of all OTPs is Alvin/Jude from Tales of Xillia. I love their chemistry but a lot of my favourite parts about it are not healthy and hit up guilty pleasure territory so I'm hesitant to talk about them loool. So instead I will talk about two other Tales OTPs! My other faves are Asbel/Richard from Tales of Graces and Rita/Estelle from Tales of Vesperia.

So Asbel/Richard started out as a joke because pretty much the day they meet, Richard gives Asbel an ornate ring and I started joking with my roommates "haha gay" as we played and then they seriously upped the ante to the point where other party members were telling them to knock it off. The game chickened out (of course) and forced an awkward, dull pairing instead of leaving it ambiguous or just letting them be gay sooooo that kind of sucked but it's not like I end up shipping canon pairings very often so I'm used to it.

With Ristelle (actual word spoken by the protagonist to refer to the two of them when they were off in their own little world together), I just think they're adorable. Even without the romantic element, they were pretty much each other's first close friend and you can easily see Rita's long-standing barriers break down for Estelle as the game progresses. In the PS3 version, there's even a skit where the two of them find a baby and take care of it for the night before they can find the parents/bring it to someone who can do that and ugggggh IT'S SO STUPIDLY CUTE. They're both so obviously enamoured with each other and Estelle even says if they can't find the parents, they should raise it themselves because they already work so well together as parents or... something along those lines. Even the original voice actors (and every voice actor from that game, I think) ship it. I love it a lot.

For non-romantic pairings, I think I will go with Jade and Anise from Tales of the Abyss. (Yeah, I love Tales for the characters and the CHARACTER INTERACTIONS are even better. So all my favourite pairings/whatever tend to be from Tales.) I looove how they troll the rest of the party and they work really well together, even if there's a huge age gap. They're great friends and I think it's sweet how you can actually see Jade softening up and sort of acting a father figure for her because her parents are so terrible. But mostly they're just good partners in crime.

SEE? I wrote a lot for this. :(

Day 8 - Best soundtrack.
    ....I THOUGHT THE PREVIOUS QUESTION WAS THE HARDEST ONE BUT I THINK THIS ONE IS. AUGH. Okay, going with multiple answers again.

Although I don't even really remember much of the game, I think Bastion is probably one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard period. The music is just so good. I feel a little bad that I didn't like the game itself more and it would've been really forgettable if it weren't for how phenomenal the soundtrack is. (I also really like Transistor's soundtrack, but I haven't heard it as much because it took me so long to give in and listen to it even if I haven't played the game yet.)

But like... if I had to pick one video game OST to listen to for the rest of my life and I couldn't listen to anything else, I think I would go with Chrono Trigger. I don't know what it is about that game, but the music just blew me away. I never had an SNES (or a PS1, since I think it got re-released there?) so the first time I played the game was with the DS version quite a few years ago. I remember sooo many times, I'd just put my DS down to listen to the music when I'd first arrive somewhere. The soundtrack felt so nostalgic and peaceful for me even though I knew I'd never played the game before. I still feel the same way, although now it feels nostalgic for real. I love so many tracks on it and there aren't really any that I dislike. It's just... it's such a beautiful soundtrack. It stands well on its own, but unlike Bastion, I feel it's best heard while actually playing the game because every track just fits every dungeon/town/event so well. It's amazing.

*******EDIT: HOW DID I FORGET ABOUT NIER??? Its soundtrack is absolutely gorgeous and it's one of those games where people kept trying to get me to play it and I'd go "ehhhh I have too much to play" but then someone linked me to its music and the very next day I went out and purchased it. I love the music so, so, so, so much. Please listen to the soundtrack. It's excellent.

Day 9 - Saddest game scene.
    The ending of Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. No other game has destroyed me like that. The day after I beat the game, I had a doctor's appointment and while I was sitting in the waiting room with my mom, I burst into tears because I thought about the game too much. I wasn't okay for days and I still tear up or actually cry just hearing the music from the game or seeing snippets of the ending.

Spoiler: CC:FF7 ending spoilers
    It should be noted that the game is a prequel and if you've played FF7, you know that the protagonist of Crisis Core is no longer alive by the start of FF7... and even going into CC with that knowledge, you still aren't prepared.

It's a very emotionally powerful scene, but the part that gets me the most is how perfectly it blends gameplay and cinematic. The main character dies. You know he's going to die. You've known from the start that he was going to die. But instead of wrapping it up in a nice cutscene like Square-Enix usually does, they make you play it. The battle system ties in SO PERFECTLY to the scene, with the Big Heal from your girlfriend (who is still writing you letters even though you've been missing for years) kicking in literally seconds too late to save you. It's just... I've still never played a game that tugged at my heartstrings so strongly. I've never felt so helpless in the face of a battle before. I went in telling myself not to get attached because I knew it wouldn't end well but there was nothing I could do.

I've talked about this better in previous threads on PC and it's like 3am right now and it's been years since I played Crisis Core so this is probably the worst thing I've ever written about it but... man, I just can't even convey how many feelings I get from Crisis Core. I cry pretty easily with games and there are other games that make me cry just thinking about them, hearing music from them, seeing scenes over again (Tales of Xillia 2, Final Fantasy X, and so on), but... god, Crisis Core? It did it so perfectly.

Day 10 - Best gameplay.
    Hmmmm... there are a lot of games with gameplay that I love and appreciate! I could just list my favourites, but there are always fatal flaws that make me think "okay, I don't feel like I can say this is the best". Like, KH Birth by Sleep is my favourite game of all time and I still think it has the best battle system out of all the Kingdom Hearts games, but it suffers a bit from pacing and it gets kind of lonely splitting the characters up to do their separate stories. Then Tales of Graces f has my favourite battle system out of all the Tales games, but it has godawful dungeons that make me hesitant to replay it.

So I'm going to go with The World Ends With You. I honestly think it's just about perfect as far as gameplay goes, with the only problems coming from some pin requirements having to do with something similar to Streetpassing and so on. But on the whole, it's just such a phenomenal game.

Ignoring story and characters (which are amazing, for the record) because I don't feel they tie into actual gameplay as much, it's a very interesting game. It gives you a lot of flexibility, so people of all gaming ability can really get into it and experience it however they want. It uses pretty much every single feature of the DS (including microphone!), and battles concentrate especially on using both screens at once (although if that's too hard, you can set an AI to take over for you on the top screen if you get too distracted). Pins govern how your main character fights and there are hundreds of them, so there are sooo many ways to play the game depending on your tastes. The stats and equipment are hilarious and very well-thought out and just... man, I could go on forever. It's such a well-designed game.

I've never played the mobile port (Android/iDevices) but I kind of want to just to see how they could adapt it from such heavy emphasis on dual-screen to a single screen.

Day 11 - Gaming system of choice.
    I'm gonna say Nintendo DS. I would give the crown to 3DS because it can technically play DS games, but I don't like the resolution of them and I'm still angry at Nintendo about the region lock on 3DS, so I can't give it my vote.

I'm picking DS because it has the best library of any system, even to this day, imo. There's such a wide variety of games to play on it but it does puzzle and RPGs really well, which happen to be my favourite genres. :) Even action RPGs had a lot of good games on the system, and it inspired so many devs to be really creative because of all the neat features it had. (See previous day's question.) I've played more DS games than any other console and there are still so many I've missed out on.

oh my god i'm sorry this post is so long......... i'll never skip days again sOB

Last edited:
    Years
  • Day 11 - Gaming system of choice.

I really, really loved the Gamecube. It was such an amazing system with a verity of games to play.

Back