• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Nintendo introduces the New Nintendo 2DS XL

Guest123_x1

I had been waiting and wondering for quite a long time if Nintendo was going to issue an updated 2DS using the upgraded architecture of the New 3DS. 'Bout time!

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
I know some Nintendo fans want the Switch to cannibalize the 3DS, but this just shows that the 3DS isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I think it's design is pretty sleek though. That shade of blue against the black is really pleasing to the eye. I've had my "Year of Luigi" 3DS XL for about 4 years now, so I might considering upgrading to this when it gets released.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I find it a little strange that they went back to the clam shell design for this. Half the reason for the 2DS's existence was to not have the clam shell.

Though I guess this is better in some ways since it's now a cheaper New 3DS without the 3D feature that no one used anyway.

pkmin3033

This is reassuring. I know Nintendo said that they weren't going to drop all support for the 3DS once the Switch was released...but Nintendo also said that the Wii U was nowhere close to the end of its life shortly before they announced they were discontinuing production of it, and they have a history beyond that of going back on their promises.

Nintendo saying they're not going to do something is usually a sign that they're going to do it. Saying they were going to support the 3DS for a while to come when they were pushing the Switch as a hybrid seemed unlikely...now, it seems a little more likely. Good. In a way I suppose they can afford to, since Sony have stopped support of the Vita entirely for no adequately explored reason; they have literally no competition in the handheld market.

The New 3DS has been severely under-utilised since its release though, with two exclusives - Xenoblade 3D and Binding of Isaac - and some SNES games. That (I believe; I could be wrong) is it. It makes sense for them to want to not split up the userbase by having a ton of N3DS-only games - even if those games would benefit from it dramatically - but given the N3DS is capable of a lot more, it's been frustrating.

If they're releasing this now, perhaps that's something they might intend to do going forward? I have to admit that I've been hoping for some Gamecube remasters to come along in some form, and given the Switch's painfully non-existent virtual console, and that the N3DS can run freakin' Wii games...wouldn't it be nice if they actually intended to do something with it now, rather than just releasing a cheaper model for the sake of it? Too much to hope for? Probably.

But I'd be willing to bet it isn't region free, which is what it really needs to be...I have bought every model of 3DS, and I would snap this up in a heartbeat if it wasn't region locked.

Also, EU when?

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I just did a check and saw that; it wasn't in the article so I panicked a bit, haha. I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to do something like that, given that we're repeatedly shafted by them when it comes to timely releases.

No word about region status, but it seems unlikely it'll be region free somehow...which is a shame, because it has quite an attractive design and the N3DS XL is quite bulky.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I find it surprising that Ninty still release another variant of 3DS, or specifically, the 2DS variant itself, but I find it to fit much more for those who don't like 3D mode on yet still wanted to have full capabilities like those of New 3DS. This makes me wondering if the regular New 2DS variant will come out soon...

Oh, and in Japan, apparently New 2DS XL come with 2 flavors, Black/Cyan and White/Orange.

Years
This was something coming out of left-field for me, especially with such a notable design change like this to the 2DS, but I can see why they'd do it, so that it can be in line with other 3DS family systems.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
This was something coming out of left-field for me, especially with such a notable design change like this to the 2DS, but I can see why they'd do it, so that it can be in line with other 3DS family systems.

Probably so, given the original 2DS' design is totally different compared to other 3DS systems. Plus, with the new design for New 2DS XL, they might be able to put their New 2DS into Sleep mode just like any 3DS would, rather than pulling some sleep switch (iirc).

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
Oh! Now this is a must get for me. Been meaning to get a second 3DS, and an XL model, so time to kill two birds with one stone. I never cared for the 3D aspects either, so its omission is an extra plus in my book

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
Years
Finally! A 2ds that's actually good! Might consider this if I ever want to buy a 2ds/3ds because I actually like it a lot.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
This is something I would buy if my current 2DS broke. I love the black and blue one!
Honestly I wasn't missing the clamshell method !

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
This design is very slick. And the white/orange one looks the best. The absolute best.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Think the biggest bonus is that Nintendo still intends to make games for the 3DS so people will get a bit more mileage out of their handheld devices before, if ever, Nintendo embraces the Switch as it's handheld (and home console).

Looks nice. Personally won't get it because I have a N3DS XL but should it ever break...

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I can assure you that this will be the last version of the 3DS before Nintendo moves on to making a new handheld system. It happened before with the DSi XL being the last version of the DS system before the original 3DS was released.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
Years
For consumers, this is a really good deal. A lot of people don't have a 3DS, and will be happy to experience all of those games on a less expensive system. The original 2DS was aimed at kids, hence the non-clam shell design. This one is aimed at pretty much everyone who doesn't have a 3DS yet. It seems quite clearly to be the definitive version.

For Nintendo, this is even better. They can squeeze some more life from the 3DS' library and will probably push a few more games out to get people buying (wouldn't want anybody to think the system is dead). To me though, the fact they're pushing a definitive 3DS suggests that they're looking to pull the plug in the long term.

I'm still confident the Switch is going to be their main push for both home console and handheld. Wii U is dead already, and the Switch is a perfectly valid handheld in its own right.

That said, the Switch is a bit unwieldy at times as far as portability goes. My 3DS XL was much easier to carry around in my coat pocket and people looking to just play handheld may be put off by the Switch's size. I have a feeling we might see some kind of Switch Mini as a pure handheld console which plays Switch games. I probably wouldn't buy it, but it'd be neat.

And the white/orange one looks the best. The absolute best.
Fight me irl.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I hope people will sell their old 3DSes to buy this so I can get a used 3DS for cheap. I find it very weird they went back to the clamshell design because that was the selling point of the 2DS (aside from, you know, being cheaper and not having 3D); this seems kinda redundant now.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
Well, it's a lot less ugly than the original 2DS. I might get it. (Also, back to clamshell design, good.)

I would have to disagree... the "single piece" design was very child friendly because it could not be snapped in half like the clamshell designs.

But its still a great alternative to the 3ds because its cheaper, which was a major boon for the 2ds (which is why i bought a 2ds).

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Now that looks very smart. I may pick it up when it releases in Europe as my current Aqua 3DS is showing its age.

Back