• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are there any games where you prefer the remake over original?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Pretty much all of them except BDSP. The updates to mechanics and QoL features has, for me at least, always made the remakes better than the originals, nothing the remakes have ever done has been a downgrade to me. And with BDSP it's more a "corporate wants you to spot the difference" deal than I find one preferable to the other (and Platinum is better anyway).

Years
    • Seen today
    Yeah as a kanto game I would probably pick Let's Go Eevee or Pikachu. The art style is beautiful. The pokemon following you scaling to size is nice too.

Downside is the catch mechanic not being an actual battle, but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
  • FRLG and HGSS were such big improvements to the gameplay experience that I can objectively say they are improvements. Yet now that they're all "retro", I prefer playing the originals for the pure nostalgia factor.

Days
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    This is quite a difficult question to answer, because a lot of the remakes don't incorporate features from the third versions that makes those the more "definitive" experiences of that generation. I think HeartGold/SoulSilver are the only ones that unequivocally improve on the originals, as they have all of Crystal's additions and then some. But Fire Red/Leaf Green don't have your partner following you, and you can't get all of the starters either the way that you could in Yellow, and they're also missing Jessie and James. Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire feel like half a game because they only focus on one of the two antagonist teams, and also don't have the Battle Frontier. Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl are hamstrung by being faithful remakes of the originals which were vastly inferior to Platinum, which brought much-needed quality of life improvements alongside the additional content.

There's this aggravating tendency with remakes to ignore the improvements that were made in the third versions of the games and just bring general gameplay enhancements - but not improvements - to what could otherwise be considered a straight-up port, with some additional content (i.e. the Delta Episode and Sevii Islands) that were clearly made with that engine in mind and go some way towards justifying their existence. It makes them feel better to play, but content-wise they're not necessarily better games, and with literally almost any other franchise you'd have everything present in past iterations AND those enhancements and additions. I say "almost any" because Square Enix pulled a similar stunt with the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters recently by completely ignoring the additions made in later versions of those games and just remastering the original versions. Which was disappointing.

Asides from Heart Gold/Soul Silver, I think I'd have to say no. I'd probably sooner pick up a remake than an original, but if given the choice I'd sooner play Emerald or Platinum over the third and fourth gen remakes in particular.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • HGSS for sure, objectively... but I do have nostalgia bias for my first titles. But it added so dang much!

FRLG did add some things like Sevii islands and is a much less glitchy experience... but then one might say the glitches are half the fun of RBY! And there's some things that are odd like not allowing Golbat to evolve til postgame. LGPE has the nicest asthetic but is too simplified for me to outright say I enjoy.

ORAS I think was a good improvement overall, but again not without a few odd changes. Stuff like the Abandoned Ship were great additions, and in terms of mechanics I liked Soaring and loved Dexnav. Delta Episode had a neat setpiece and one of the best battle themes added, but otherwise a terrible story imo, and some forced teleportation (hi Wally and Lati@s events) weren't great. No Battle Frontier is sad.

BDSP was the biggest disappointment in terms of remakes for myself, viewing it as adding something new, and also keeping the best parts of the originals (here, Platinum features) in the remake. Besides BF again though, the changes to your base in the Undergroun was quite disappointing. At least we kept the mining minigame...

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • FRLG - I prefer it over the original RBY. It was like re-living my childhood adventure with updated graphics and fewer glitches. I couldn't rely on infinite Rare Candy from the Missingno glitch to level up my team. The Sevii Islands were a great addition as well for adding a little side quest with the child/Hypno.

HGSS - I love it! GSC is great, but HGSS features following Pokémon and so many quality of life additions like overall team/item/box management and expanded level-up movepools (and move tutors). Also, HGSS added mini-games or post game content such as the Pokéathlon, Battle Frontier, etc. No complaints, besides Voltorb Flip...

ORAS - I like it, but I also like the originals. ORAS provided a wide variety of Pokémon through the DexDav and Mirage Spot feature, something the originals will always lack. The originals relied on connectivity with FRLG and Colo/XD to complete the Pokédex. However, the original Emerald had Battle Frontier. Such a disappointment for ORAS to not include that.

BDSP - I am mixed. It retold the story with updated graphics, but... just retold the story with updated graphics. The Grand Underground was under utilized. It should have included Secret Bases and enhanced the co-op features. Mining minigame became boring over time for me.

Years
  • All of them.
    FRLG are better games than RGY.
    HGSS are better games than GSC.
    ORAS are better games than RSE.
    BDSP are better games than DPPt.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • Okay yeah, I'm willing to argue I'd rather play BDSP over Diamond and Pearl. While I'm okay with playing older gens and while I'd play Platinum over either of them, I don't really consider Platinum to ever be relevant to that discussion.
    I think the easy answer is HGSS, I think those are just objectively fantastic remakes. Though I do think FRLG deserve more credit for what they did. They offer a very solid kanto experience that are way more in line with what Pokemon is and would become (the updated graphics, bigger and more varied move pools, added mechanics like abilities and natures), and I think they capture a lot of what Pokemon tried to be in its first generation without being a (rather charming!) buggy mess held together by duct tape.
    I have bias towards Gen 3 and I'm not too fond of Gen 6, so... that probably shapes both my answers on FRLG, and of ORAS. As for Let's Go... I have nothing to contribute to that. ;;

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Definitely! I prefer the practically all the remakes over the originals. FireRed and LeafGreen are way better the Red, Blue, and Yellow. HeartGold and SoulSilver are way better than Gold, Silver, and Crystal. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are way better than Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are way better than Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. This doesn't mean that I dislike the originals. In fact, I love them. It's just that I love the updated graphics, Pokémon count, additional features, updated gameplay mechanics, and whatnot much better. I think of the remakes as an added bonus and upgrade to the originals that I enjoyed playing in the past, not a replacement for them.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Definitely ORAS. Being able to use a Cherrim made all the water routes tolerable (IGN was right and I'll die on that hill with them)... and the endless sun for a portion of Ruby made my Cherrim sunny all the time, so what's not to love?

I think I probably like HGSS more too, not just for Cherrim reasons (although it definitely helped) but I think it was the last remake that was like no notes perfect compared to all the others.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • For one thing, I nearly universally tend to prefer the originals' graphics over the remakes' graphics. The regions are designed for their original systems and when played in the remakes, they always feel a little lackluster compared to the new game in their generation. That being said, I felt that FRLG was better than RBY in every way except for their graphics, especially in the gameplay department. Gen 1 was really weirdly balanced even compared to Gen 2, let alone Gen 3.

I liked HGSS almost as much as GSC, though. It pretty much sets the standard for what a remake should be.

RSE were my very first Pokemon games and I have so much nostalgia for them that there's no way ORAS can hold a candle to them no matter how good they are.

Haven't played BDSP or LGPE, but from what I've heard of them I'll probably hate the changes they made when I do get around to playing them. In particular, I don't like BDSP's artstyle or forced friendship bonuses, and LGPE cuts out the Sevii Islands and removed wild pokemon battles and made the game really easy.

Years
  • I'd say HGSS for sure. RFLG are good but they don't add much more. The point is that it was their first remake, so it makes sense to be very similar to the original games. Unfortunately, playing the first games is an experience of its own, simply because they're the first ones.
    ORAS on the other hand chose a path that I really appreciated, which was to innovate things, making the remake a slightly different experience especially from Emerald, not ignoring the things it added to RS.
    BDSP has a horrible artstyle and the friendship bonuses are a weird mechanic. I'm glad they improved AI and such, but it was too faithful. They remived HMs, which while it's something many people like, I think it was a necessary thing to keep in BDSP for a layer of difficulty (not much though tbh), to maintain the original feeling of the game and to allow nee players to find out the HM mechanic.The thing about older remakes was to add the new Pokemon to an older game, but this didn't happen in BDSP. Obviously, the Platinum part is totally missing, creating this weird situation for which a 2009 game can offer more than a 2021 game.
    I don't really mind the way of faithful remakes, especially now that many games came out and younger generations might have problems in retriving the older ones, but I wouldn't go with that artstyle. I'd prefer a remastered version.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • This is a question? Maybe except for games that barely change stuff like BDSP, a thread title like this genuinely surprises me for some reason since most of the time the remakes improve something regarding the original.

I only have one case where I prefer the remakes to the original and that would probably be HGSS and I like both the original and the remake anyway.

For everything else in my opinion ORAS is equal to Emerald(Seeing the two villain teams conflict each other the whole time makes up for a lot) and I prefer Platinum to BDSP but I like that more than the original DP.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    All of them. Even if I don't consider any of them amazing, they still do their job at being upgrades/replacements to the originals.

FRLG > RB, HGSS > GS, ORAS > RS, BDSP > DP.

I do miss some stuff from Platinum, but BDSP are remakes of Diamond & Pearl, not Platinum. And I see no reason to play the original DP over it.

Back