• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you satisfied with this generation's Pokédex missing the vast majority of Pokémon?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    With 1,008 Pokémon in existence now and only 400 Pokémon existing in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet as of today, this means that 608 Pokémon are missing from the Pokédex! How does this make you feel? Are you ok with the large amount of Pokémon missing? Do you wish that more Pokémon were in the Pokédex? Do you wish that these games included every Pokémon in the Pokédex like in the Pokémon games before the Nintendo Switch?

Please share your thoughts!

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I'm glad the regional dex is set at 400 for the shiny charm but I do think 400 total species allowed in the game sans dlc is not very much. And I'm still not convinced the game is worth more then 40 dollars.

There is still a small number of Pokemon which are not available in any Switch game yet. And if they are available in afuture switch game it will be odd that you can't trade between games in the same generation.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Feels okay with it overall. Does not mind Pokemon missing (same as in Sword/Shield). Spread out Pokemon between types pretty well. Put in about 12 lines of each type, not including Paradox, legendaries, and unobtainable regionals. Looks weakest in...Rock? (Sudowoodo, Tyranitar, Carbink, Lycanroc, Drednaw, Coalossal, Stonjourner, Garganacl, Klawf, Glimmora. Includes two exclusive to Scarlet too.) Suffices to make a monotype interesting.

Would not mind a "few" more, sure. Maybe two more per type or so?

Is more peeved about the terrible Pokemon put in with too little help. Wastes space, in a sense. Hoped for the likes of Kricketune, Sunflora, Jumpluff, and Luvdisc to get some kind of update. What are they going to do in the face of powercreep? (Sidethought: Dear Game Freak. Remove...Veluza from Geeta's team. Replace it with a level 90 Luvdisc.)

Years
    I don't mind if not every mon is there.
    There will also more than likely be a future DLC or two to make the gap smaller, though there will inevitably still be mons missing.

I do feel like the initial mon count being the same exact number as in Galar is a bit on the low side though.
    Since Galar had a PokeDex of 400 in the base game, I had hoped the count for the base game of Paldea would've been a bit higher; like 450-500 Pokemon.

Years
    At one point i was one of those people that yelled foul at game freak for not including all of the pokemon in the past. But then i was real with myself and well;
    1. Theres 1004 of these things, it's unlikely we EVER get a game with all of them at this point
    2. It never bothered me about missing pokemon

So yes, im fine with scarlet and violets dex. Plenty of pokemon to choose from and decent new ones as well. And with HOME integration in spring + eventual DLC the number of availability will definitely go up

Jiggykoopbob

Local Pokémon loving Goomba. (Flair theme: SM64DS)
    Years
    Im mostly satisfied for the fact that they included a lot of pokémon species that you could not get and use in Sword & Shield (including said game's Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra DLC)
    But when the amount of Pokémon is now more then A THOUSAND, i kinda wanted like 500 or 600 to be in the Paldean Pokedex.

Also please make us able to get the Unova or Kalos Starters. I like all of them.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    Overall, I'm mixed. I'm very pleased with the selection of returning Pokémon, but at the same time, I don't like many of this Generation's newcomers. I wish they had just included more of the "oldies but goodies" and less of the abominations we ended up with. Did we really need Gholdengo when Aegislash exists, or both of this Generation's Bug lines when we've had so many good ones in the last few Generations? Where are all the livestock Mons like Wooloo and Miltank?

(Sidethought: Dear Game Freak. Remove...Veluza from Geeta's team. Replace it with a level 90 Luvdisc.)

Delete Veluza from existence period. Wait, no. At least its only saving grace is that it mutilates itself so that we don't feel guilty over eating its spare flesh...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    It also happened in Sw/Sh before the DLC, and will most certainly keep happening in future games because there are too many Pokémon.

I think 400 is more than enough for a single region, don't think it's necessary to add more. If anything, I would have replaced some of the existing ones with others... since we have:

Luvdisc and Alomomola in the same game (guessing this was supposed to be some kind of joke...)
    Cacturne in a region that already has three Grass/Dark types.
    Pokémon they keep spamming in every game and could take a break some day like Pikachu, Eevee, Gastly, Psyduck, and Magikarp.
    Too many pseudo-legendary dragons: Dragonite, Garchomp, Salamence, Goodra, Hydreygon, and Dragapult besides Baxcalibur. And two of them even have Paradox forms.

Years
    I'm eager for the DLC because I feel like 400 is a little low. It was pretty quick for me to complete the dex so I wanted more to hunt after. Something like 600 is a good number if they want to limit the amount but we will see what the totals will be once the DLC comes out. Hopefully adds at least 100-150 more.

I miss when dex collecting took more time - was fun for me to work on and felt exciting to finally complete! There are some things that make dex completing easier now of course (like Exp. Candies and link codes to swap exclusives) which probably added to it being quicker, which I don't mind, I just wanted more species to get.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    There are some things that make dex completing easier now of course (like Exp. Candies and link codes to swap exclusives) which probably added to it being quicker, which I don't mind, I just wanted more species to get.

You're forgetting the most obvious one - the sheer variety of Pokémon available in each area! In the old games you would get maybe 20 'dex entries by the 2nd gym, here I think I had 150 and I didn't really take any major detours, just explored the areas on the way to their fullest.

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
    I don't mind it for the regular gameplay and we always new Pokemon for our first playthrough anyway, but the issue I've noticed is that it makes playing competitively for this generation a lot more limiting. Almost all of the Pokemon in OU or Ubers are new Pokemon and while it's great that they're getting spotlight it feels more limited than ever which Pokemon you have to use on your team if you want to win in battles.

There also didn't feel like there were that many Pokemon in this game when compared to even PLA and I think that could be because the Pokemon were a lot more clumped together in a way instead of like in PLA or SwSh's wild area where they were all running around and the bigger/rarer Pokemon were in special areas, ScarVio's gameplay had none of that. At least while PLA had limited Pokemon you couldn't tell where the spawn points were while in ScarVio it's like very obvious where the Pokemon spawned in and they barely wandered outside of it.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Theres a lot of Pokemon missing that I wish were in the game due to wanting to see them with new textures or to shiny hunt them.

Including my favorite Pokemon Ninetales. Ninetales missing auto lowers the game for me but I still like the way shiny hunting works. I started shiny hunting in gen 6 and continue to shiny hunt in it to this day. I skipped gen 7 and 8 entirely with no plans ever play them so this is my first experience with this style of Pokemon game.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2023
    I definitely agree with the above statements about them recycling the same old boring Pokemon in every new version. I'm really missing my Lapras right about now... I wish instead of creating so many new Pokemon, they would change more of them to be unique to the region, like the hilarious looking Toedscruel (however you spell that).

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    I truly don't mind a small PokéDex. It makes perfect sense that a region doesn't contain a thousand different Pokémon. Why should Paldea include every Pokémon in existence when the other regions don't? I do however miss some of my favorites.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
    I think it's good for PvP, even though I don't battle at all. If we had access to all of the 1008, it would just mean the best of the best would be running all over the meta again.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I think it's good for PvP, even though I don't battle at all. If we had access to all of the 1008, it would just mean the best of the best would be running all over the meta again.

That's just simply not true. People are always going to run the meta regardless, no matter the generation. If anything, it is really bad for PvP right now because of the lack of variety. Most players are mostly just using the Paradox Pokémon now and this is because of the lack of options, mostly. If there was access to all 1,008 Pokémon, then you could literally build any team you want with any strategy that can take down the meta. Right now, we only have like 39% of all Pokémon in the game. That number gets even lower when you consider the fully-evolved Pokémon, which are mostly used for PvP. When your options are severely limited, there isn't much you can do and it makes it harder to counter certain things.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    If the game was about Pokemon then they could do it. Instead it is a game about humans and buildings with a few Pokemon stuck in.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
    The Pokedex cut never really mattered much to me personally,
    and I honestly really like a lot of the new 'mons that S/V added,
    so this Gen not having that many pokemon overall didn't bother me much.

Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2023
    I definitely agree with the above statements about them recycling the same old boring Pokemon in every new version. I'm really missing my Lapras right about now... I wish instead of creating so many new Pokemon, they would change more of them to be unique to the region, like the hilarious looking Toedscruel (however you spell that).

I also agree

Back