• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battle effects: on or off?

Years
    Battle effects: on or off?

Are you someone who keeps your battle effects on at all times? Or do you automatically turn them off when playing? Maybe you only set them to off in certain conditions?

Years
    It's always on for games Gen 5 and below. Gen 6 and above sorta lag for me, so I usually turn animations off there (e.g. Ultra Moon that I'm playing through rn).

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Normally On. I only turn them off when I doing the more tedious stuff that I prefer to get done as quick as possible, such as training a low level Pokémon in the wild or looking for a certain Pokémon with a specific nature or ability.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Normally off. Battle animations are never interesting to me that I feel the need to keep them on and they usually just make things slower.
    This is specially problematic for Gen V and up which already have a tendency to feel like a slog.

(same thing with music, but that's because it usually becomes a death screech when you turbo)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I tend to turn them off for the old games, haha. They're just a bit tedious and not super vivid... Even though their effects and sounds can be quite nostalgic, especially for gen 1 :3

For games from gen 6 and onwards, i mostly keep them on though. They're more interesting and not super slow iirc.

UnvoicedUnveiled

Unvoiced Unveiled
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2022
    I always keep them off. They make everything feel so slow with them on! That said, I really do like a lot of the battle animations, I just don't have the patience for them. I turn them on for important battles though, like gyms and the Elite Four.

Years
    i keep them on. i can see how battles can progress quicker with them off, but idk, it feels odd for me not seeing the fancy move animations. =P

.hack

skunkape
    Years
    In my entire 20+ years playing Pokemon I've only ever turned them off once, when trying to thief a lucky egg off wild Chansey in gen2 which took me so ridiculously long I decided I had to turn them off lol

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I usually left it on whenever I play them and it doesn't lag very much for me either

Years
    I actually used to keep them off for the longest time! Realized how much faster training was with them off and got adjusted to not turning them back on. This went on for years, not sure how many exactly but several generations worth at least. But with the latest few gens I started keeping them on again and will probably only turn them off when I'm spamming battles. Some of the new animations look pretty cool!

Raj

Pokemon Master
    Years
    Pretty much always On, I turned it off a few times when I was young and disliked how it looked, so I kept it On for so long I often forget turning it off is even an option.

But I rarely go out of my way to Grind, as I simply get that EXP from fully exploring every area and not using Repels.

Back