• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Censorship changes

Years
  • Depending on feedback we will likely adapt the system. I could imagine a toggle for word replacement and asterisks somewhere down the line but we have no plans in that regard just yet.

The difference between filter evasion and what we have now is the way that our system handles the words. It picks up "psyduck" as a word which we're looking out for and replaces it if the filter is enabled to something less offensive. However it can't identify "f***" as a censored word, so it won't replace it and people who have the swear filter enabled will still have to see it. Does that make more sense?

Because it's now an option for people to toggle on censors, there will still be a group of people who will not want to see swears. By writing just for arguments sake "$hit", you will be bypassing the system that is in place to protect people from swears, and this is why we still have that rule in place to protect the people who still want the old system. Hope that makes sense.

Ok, Thanks guys I get it now, so no writing in a way that would bypass the system and may offend people and use swearing in the right context.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Oh question, do old posts that had swears get the treatment as well?

I don't believe so. I just checked a post from August of this year that was censored by hearts (which I understand is one system behind the asterisk censor system that we most recently had, but I'd like to think that it still applies to that.)

EDIT: Just did a little more research, by evidence of this thread that was made on November 29th, the asterisks are still there so past censors don't apply to the new changes.

Last edited:

Nakala Pri

Whatever. I'm not turning this thing on. Ever. I'm not an American, dammit.

And don't you worry, moddies. >:) I'll keep an eye out for any swear words that get past... and I'll stomp on them like the pests they are! >8D (Yes, I'm in a villainous mood)

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I think it's quite a good addition of the year. Even though I'm wondering if it's a bit weirder than tons of love censors several months ago, but I hope it will be a psyducking good one, and I'll leave this feature on.

* The Psyduck one was intentional, and not swear words

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • We can disable the censor if we so choose? Why didn't I notice this thread before?

Censorship changes

imho though I do miss the * simply because it's a lot less distracting but whatever I don't need to use it anyhow

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Psyduck is a bad word now?? Wow you learn something new every psyducking day. :P

I'm so glad this shit was fucking implemented! I'm not the one who curses often, (just wanted to test the filter here. ) but this is good for people who do swear and swear to express themselves more.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    This is too darned confusing to me. I think I would prefer to have an alternate option where the things are...the same way as they were.

But, yeah, it's a nice start, seeing as it's now user-configurable. I wonder what's next?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    My filter is automatically enabled but I still see swear words. So what would be the point of disabling them if I already see them?

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • My filter is automatically enabled but I still see swear words. So what would be the point of disabling them if I already see them?

Disable the filter, then re-enable it if you are still seeing swears. This should fix the issue. I had the same problem earlier today, but you just need to "refresh" your settings.

Back